Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Live Streamed Services: If you are interested in viewing Sunday service, you can do so by logging in to the new church website ascensionnl.ca, and go to the Social Media tab. Once there, click on the Facebook tab (please note you do not have to have a Facebook account to view the service). This will link you directly with the service once it has begun on Sunday.
- Welcome to Bishop Samuel Rose as we celebrate the services of confirmation on Saturday and today, Ascension Sunday, with Holy Eucharist. It is a blessing to have him as our homilist and presider at these services.
- Parish Summer Student Position: The parish is seeking persons who may be interested in a summer student position. The successful applicant must be attending high school Level l-Level lll and they must be returning to school in September 2021.The position will be minimum wage, hours/weeks to be negotiated. If interested, please apply to the church office by May 21.
- Congratulations to our confirmation candidates who were confirmed yesterday, May 15. These confirmands were actually the class of 2019 – 2020 and we are thrilled that we could finally have our confirmation service, after three dates. God Bless them!
- Note from Vestry - Pandemic Appeal Fundraising: Since March 2020, we have been experiencing the effects of Covid-19 in so many ways. Our parish is no different. The pandemic has significantly impacted the parish’s ability to engage in traditional fundraising activities. These activities are important to the Parish for a number of reasons, including opportunities for fellowship and funding the various important ministries. While we have been unable to fundraise by traditional means, the need still remains. In reality, the needs for our various ministries have increased during the pandemic. The Pandemic Appeal has been created as a means for people to contribute, while the normal activities such as the Fall Fair and Christmas concerts are on hold. Until we are able to get back to pre-pandemic times, we have no choice but to continue with the Pandemic Appeal. This Appeal is needed to help us move forward in our ministries, including our new online worship ministry. Since January 1, we have raised only $1,090 for our Pandemic Appeal Please continue to support this important cause as you are able. Many of you have been very generous with your contributions and for that we send you a very heartfelt thank you.
- Thank You to those of you who volunteered their time and effort on Saturday, May 8, to clean up the church grounds and parking lot. Your work did not go unnoticed! It is much appreciated.
- On-Line Auction Fundraiser: The Parish of the Ascension will be hosting an online auction in June 2021. This auction will take place on Facebook between June 6 and June 13. At this time, we are looking for donations of new items. No item is too small as items can be combined to create an auction item. Deadline to donate items is Friday, May 28. Items may be dropped off at the church between 9 a.m. and 12 noon, Monday to Friday. Please indicate the approximate value of the item and give your name and phone number. If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Fancey at [email protected] or call/text after 4 p.m. at 685-9408. Stay tuned for more details regarding the upcoming online auction.
- Volunteers Needed: The parish Audio Visual team is actively looking for volunteers to join the exciting team that produces the live-streaming of weekly services. The team currently consists of two live-streaming operators and one audio operator. Duties for the livestream operator include preparing the slides that are used for the Sunday worship, operating the live-streaming cameras/computer and live-streaming the services to Facebook and YouTube. The audio operator manages the sound mixer in the church, which provides the sound for both the in-church worship as well as the live-streaming audio. The Audio Visual team also provides live-streaming/audio services for funerals and weddings upon request of the families.
Please consider this important ministry so we are able to continue to provide this vital service to parishioners at home, as well as viewers from other parts of the province, the country, and around the world. A minimum of three teams will allow us to share the load so if you are handy with computers, Microsoft PowerPoint, or audio systems, please contact Wayne Courage at [email protected] for details. Training will be provided.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction. Thank you.
- Birthday/Anniversary Sundays: The worship for Family Service Sunday will include the celebration of birthdays or anniversaries for that given month. Please send us a picture of yourself to include during the Birthday Sunday celebration portion of the liturgy. You can send your photos to [email protected]. We request that you submit your photos by the end of the first week each month to ensure they are included.
- Gathering Place ‘Welcome Home’ Gift Card Project: The Anglican Archdeaconry of Avalon is collecting gift cards from any supermarket or Walmart to aid The Gathering Place in supporting clients who are moving into a new residence. Any financial donation of either gift cards or money is gratefully accepted; however, gift suggestions are $30-1 person, $50-2/3 people, $75 4/up. Donations to this worthwhile project will be accepted up to the end of June. You may drop your donations in the church mailbox (located on the front steps of the church). Thank you very much.
- CLB Lunch Take-Out: Each week the CLB offers take out lunch specials on Friday. If you are interested in purchasing for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners.
- Services During the Week:
- Sunday, May 23 (Day of Pentecost): 11:00am, Welsh Eucharist ascensionnl.ca
Prayers of the People
Both heaven and earth are full of God’s glory. God of love, as we celebrate this festival of Jesus’ entry into heaven as Saviour and Lord, we pray for unity in the Church and reconciliation and renewed vision. We pray, both heaven and earth: are full of God’s glory.
For the Church, that the Lord will grant wisdom and insight to all who lead and guide us in our faith, remembering Samuel our Bishop, for the parishes of Grand Falls and Green Island, for those worshipping in the Anglican Church in Korea, and for our 16 confirmands and their families as they continue in their journey of faith. Both heaven and earth: are full of God’s glory.
We pray for those who are full of tears, and cannot imagine being happy again; we pray for the hardened and callous, whose inner hurts have never yet been healed. We pray for wholeness and comfort and new life especially those on the Ascension Prayer Cycle and those known to you alone. Both heaven and earth: are full of God’s glory.
Lord God Almighty, you have given your Son all authority in heaven and on earth; hear us as we pray for the world he came to redeem. Grant that we may know even in this time the things that make for peace, and may strive for the reconciliation of all people in his kingdom of justice and love. Both heaven and earth: are full of God’s glory.
For ourselves in this assembly, all who are impacted by the Pandemic, those undergoing testing, those who received positive results, those in isolation, trades and skills workers, all believing in our every deed the good news, that after turmoil and strife, the world may be free of this virus. Both heaven and earth: are full of God’s glory.
We commend to your eternal love those we remember who have died, especially Nina Snow, and we pray for those who miss their physical presence. Both heaven and earth: are full of God’s glory.
Risen and ascended Lord Jesus Christ, we know that you are seated at the right hand of the Father in majesty. Send us your Holy Spirit, so that we may also be strengthened to know your constant presence with us according to your promise to remain with us until the end of the age. We ask this in your name, for you live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Amelia, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Baxter, Bob, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, David, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Doug, Dulcie, Ed, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Gerry, Glenda, Gordon, Harry, Hilda, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Judy, Junior, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lindsay, Lori, Louise, Luke, Madeline, Marie, Marsha, Mark, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melissa, Melvin, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Pam, Phyllis, Rachel, Randell, Randy, Rodney, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie, Vera, Victoria and Wayne
your Son Jesus Christ ascended to the throne of heaven
that he might rule over all things as Lord.
Keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of his peace,
and bring the whole of creation
to worship at his feet,
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Acts
In the first book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus did and taught from the beginning until the day when he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. After his suffering he presented himself alive to them by many convincing proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. While staying with them, he ordered them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for the promise of the Father. "This," he said, "is what you have heard from me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?" He replied, "It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." When he had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, suddenly two men in white robes stood by them. They said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." ACTS 1:1-11
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
Clap your hands, all you peoples;
shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;
he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,
and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,
the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,
the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;
sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;
sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;
God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together
with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,
and he is highly exalted.
Blessed are you, God of all the earth; you have called us out of every people and nation to be a royal priesthood and citizens of your holy city. May our words of praise call the world to turn to the joy of fellowship with you, through Jesus Christ our Lord PSALM 47
A Reading from the Letter of Paul to the Ephesians
I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, and for this reason I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers. I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, so that, with the eyes of your heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of his great power. God put this power to work in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the age to come. And he has put all things under his feet and has made him the head over all things for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all. EPHESIANS 1:15-23
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Luke
People: Glory to, you Lord Jesus Christ
Jesus said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled." Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and he said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And see, I am sending upon you what my Father promised; so stay here in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high." Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and, lifting up his hands, he blessed them. While he was blessing them, he withdrew from them and was carried up into heaven. And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy; and they were continually in the temple blessing God. LUKE 24:44-53
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer over the Gifts
our Saviour Jesus Christ
has promised to be with us until the end of time.
Accept all we offer you this day,
and renew us in his transfigured life;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Prayer after Communion
Eternal Giver of love and power,
your Son Jesus Christ has sent us into all the world
to preach the gospel of his kingdom.
Confirm us in this mission,
and help us to live the good news we proclaim;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources