Lections: Ezekiel 37:1-14; Psalm 104:25-35, 37b; John 15:26-27, 16:4b15
Welsh Eucharist: Officiant/Homilist: Rev’d Lynn Courage, Readers: Rev’d Lynn Courage, Ina Kearley
Hymns: 649 vs. 1 & 3; 40 vs. 1 & 2; 645 vs. 1, 2, 4; 647; 655 vs. 1 & 2
Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Live Streamed Services: If you are interested in viewing Sunday service, you can do so by logging in to the new church website ascensionnl.ca, and go to the Social Media tab. Once there, click on the Facebook tab (please note you do not have to have a Facebook account to view the service). This will link you directly with the service once it has begun on Sunday.
- Readers needed for June, July and August: If you are interested in reading at the 11 a.m. services on any of the following dates, please contact the office at [email protected] or call 368-5693:
- June 6, 13, 20, 27;
- July 4, 11, 18, 25;
- August 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
- September 5, 12
- Office Closure: The office will be closed on Monday, May 24 in observance of Victoria Day holiday.
- Family Service: Please note, our next Family Service will be held on June 20, which is also Father’s Day. We will have our Birthday/Anniversary greetings for May and June on this Sunday. You can send your photos to [email protected]. We request that you submit your photos by the end of the first week each month to ensure they are included. We will not have Family Service during the months of July and August and, as a result, we will resume our Birthday/Anniversary greetings in September.
- Thank You: Our Easter garden was created and maintained by Tom and Jean Nash. We extend our sincere appreciation to Jean for keeping the garden alive with flowers throughout the Easter season.
- On-Line Auction Fundraiser: The Parish of the Ascension will be hosting an online auction in June 2021. This auction will take place on Facebook between June 6 and June 13. At this time, we are looking for donations of new items. No item is too small as items can be combined to create an auction item. Deadline to donate items is Friday, May 28. Items may be dropped off at the church between 9 a.m. and 12 noon, Monday to Friday. Please indicate the approximate value of the item and give your name and phone number. If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Fancey at [email protected] or call/text after 4 p.m. at 685-9408. Stay tuned for more details regarding the upcoming online auction.
- Note from Vestry - Pandemic Appeal Fundraising: Since March 2020, we have been experiencing the effects of Covid-19 in so many ways. Our parish is no different. The pandemic has significantly impacted the parish’s ability to engage in traditional fundraising activities. These activities are important to the Parish for a number of reasons, including opportunities for fellowship and funding the various important ministries. While we have been unable to fundraise by traditional means, the need still remains. In reality, the needs for our various ministries have increased during the pandemic. The Pandemic Appeal has been created as a means for people to contribute, while the normal activities such as the Fall Fair and Christmas concerts are on hold. Until we are able to get back to pre-pandemic times, we have no choice but to continue with the Pandemic Appeal. This Appeal is needed to help us move forward in our ministries, including our new online worship ministry. Since January 1, we have raised only $1,120 for our Pandemic Appeal Please continue to support this important cause as you are able. Many of you have been very generous with your contributions and for that we send you a very heartfelt thank you.
- Volunteers Needed: The parish Audio Visual team is actively looking for volunteers to join the exciting team that produces the live-streaming of weekly services. The team currently consists of two live-streaming operators and one audio operator. Duties for the livestream operator include preparing the slides that are used for the Sunday worship, operating the live-streaming cameras/computer and live-streaming the services to Facebook and YouTube. The audio operator manages the sound mixer in the church, which provides the sound for both the in-church worship as well as the live-streaming audio. The Audio Visual team also provides live-streaming/audio services for funerals and weddings upon request of the families.
Please consider this important ministry so we are able to continue to provide this vital service to parishioners at home, as well as viewers from other parts of the province, the country, and around the world. A minimum of three teams will allow us to share the load so if you are handy with computers, Microsoft PowerPoint, or audio systems, please contact Wayne Courage at [email protected] for details. Training will be provided.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction. Thank you.
- Gathering Place ‘Welcome Home’ Gift Card Project: The Anglican Archdeaconry of Avalon is collecting gift cards from any supermarket or Walmart to aid The Gathering Place in supporting clients who are moving into a new residence. Any financial donation of either gift cards or money is gratefully accepted; however, gift suggestions are $30-1 person, $50-2/3 people, $75 4/up. Donations to this worthwhile project will be accepted up to the end of June. You may drop your donations in the church mailbox (located on the front steps of the church). Thank you very much.
- Parish Summer Student Position: The parish is seeking persons who may be interested in a summer student position. The successful applicant must be attending high school Level l-Level lll and they must be returning to school in September 2021.The position will be minimum wage, hours/weeks to be negotiated. If interested, please apply to the church office by May 28, 2021.
- CLB Lunch Take-Out: Each week the CLB offers take out lunch specials on Friday. If you are interested in purchasing for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners.
- Services During the Week:
- Sunday, May 30 (Trinity Sunday): 11:00am, Holy Eucharist/BAS ascensionnl.ca
Prayers of the People
On this Pentecost Sunday, let us raise our prayer to God for the Spirit sent to anoint us, saying: Lord, hear our prayer.
For the spirit of joy in the church, that our Eastertide Alleluia resound throughout the year, we pray for Samuel our Bishop, for the parish of Harbour Breton , for the work of the PWRDF and their relief efforts for India, and for the Anglican community in North East India, we pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer.
For the spirit of peace in the world, that all peoples especially nations in conflict, We remember the unrest in Israel and Palestine, may they learn to live in harmony, we pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer.
For the spirit of justice for the needy, that victims of prejudice, exploitation and crime be set free, we pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer.
For the spirit of unity in our assembly, that our weakness make us strong and our differences made us rich, we pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer.
For ourselves in this assembly, all who are impacted by the Pandemic, those undergoing testing, those who received positive results, those in isolation, office workers and administrators, all believing in our every deed the good news, that after turmoil and strife, the world may be free of this virus. We pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer.
For the spirit of healing, as we remember all those on our Ascension Prayer Cycle and others known to us. We pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer.
For the spirit of hope in the future, that we and all who have died may drink of the fruit of the vine in glory, we pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer.
Good and gracious God, send forth your spirit into our hearts. Wipe away the fear between churches, nations and families. Tear down the walls that divide us and make us one through Christ our Lord.
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Amelia, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Baxter, Bob, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, David, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Doug, Dulcie, Ed, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Gerry, Glenda, Gordon, Harry, Hilda, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Judy, Junior, Karl, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lindsay, Lori, Luke, Madeline, Marie, Marsha, Mark, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melissa, Melvin, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Pam, Phyllis, Rachel, Randell, Randy, Rodney, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie, Vera, Victoria and Wayne
Prayer During the Pandemic
Lord Jesus Christ,
you taught us to love our neighbour,
and to care for those in need
as if we were caring for you.
In this time of anxiety, give us strength
to comfort the fearful, to tend the sick,
and to assure the isolated
of our love, and your love,
for your name’s sake.
Almighty and everliving God,
who fulfilled the promises of Easter
by sending us your Holy Spirit
and opening to every race and nation
the way of life eternal,
keep us in the unity of your Spirit,
that every tongue may tell of your glory;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Ezekiel
The hand of the Lord came upon me, and he brought me out by the spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me all around them; there were very many lying in the valley, and they were very dry. He said to me, "Mortal, can these bones live?" I answered, "O Lord God, you know." Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord God to these bones: I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord." So I prophesied as I had been commanded; and as I prophesied, suddenly there was a noise, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. I looked, and there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them; but there was no breath in them. Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, mortal, and say to the breath: Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live." I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood on their feet, a vast multitude. Then he said to me, "Mortal, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They say, 'Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are cut off completely.' Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God: I am going to open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people; and I will bring you back to the land of Israel. And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people. I will put my spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you on your own soil; then you shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken and will act," says the Lord. EZEKIEL 37:1-14
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
O Lord, how manifold are your works!
in wisdom you have made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.
Yonder is the great and wide sea with its living things too many to number,
creatures both small and great.
There move the ships, and there is that Leviathan,
which you have made for the sport of it.
All of them look to you
to give them their food in due season.
You give it to them; they gather it;
you open your hand, and they are filled with good things.
You hide your face, and they are terrified;
you take away their breath, and they die and return to their dust.
You send forth your Spirit, and they are created;
and so you renew the face of the earth.
May the glory of the Lord endure for ever;
may the Lord rejoice in all his works.
He looks at the earth and it trembles;
he touches the mountains and they smoke.
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will praise my God while I have my being.
May these words of mine please him;
I will rejoice in the Lord. Hallelujah!
O God of eternal light, heaven and earth are the work of your hands, and all creation sings your praise and beauty. As in the beginning, by your Spirit, you gave life and order to all that is, so by the same Spirit redeem us and all things, through Christ our Lord. PSALM 104:25-35, 37B
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John
People: Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Jesus said to the disciples, "When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who comes from the Father, he will testify on my behalf. You also are to testify because you have been with me from the beginning. I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. But now I am going to him who sent me; yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your hearts. Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will prove the world wrong about sin and righteousness and judgement: about sin, because they do not believe in me; about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will see me no longer; about judgement, because the ruler of this world has been condemned. I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine. For this reason I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you." JOHN 15:26-27, 16:4B15
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer over the Gifts
Giver of life, receive all we offer you this day.
Let the Spirit you bestow on your Church
continue to work in the world
through the hearts of all who believe.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN
Prayer after Communion
Father, may we who have received this eucharist
live in the unity of your Holy Spirit,
that we may show forth his gifts to all the world.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources