Lections:Isaiah 6:1-8; Psalm 29; John 3:1-17
Family Service/WWB: Officiant: Rev’d Lynn Courage, Homilist: Bob Barnes, Readers: Dean William Bellamy, Elizabeth Barnes
Hymns: 560 vs. 1 & 4; 334 vs. 1 & 2; 524 1 & 4; 48; 1 vs. 1, 2, 4
Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Readers needed for June, July and August: If you are interested in reading at the 11 a.m. services on any of the following dates, please contact the office at [email protected] or call 368-5693:
- June 20, 27
- July 4, 11, 18, 25;
- August 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
- September 5, 12
- Reverend Lynn’s Absence: Reverend Lynn will be away from the parish from June 4 – 7, inclusive. On Sunday, June 6, Reverend Donna Mercer will be officiating at our Sunday worship. She will also be available in the event of a pastoral emergency during Reverend Lynn’s absence. She may be contacted at 689-6463.
- On-Line Auction Fundraiser Update: You can now access the group where the auction will be held between June 6th and June 13th. Here are the steps:
- Log into your Facebook account. (You must have a Facebook Account to participate in the auction.)
- In the search bar (look for a little magnifying glass towards the top) search for "Parish of the Ascension Online Auction 2021.”
- This should bring you to the group that you can then join so that you will be notified of any changes or new items that are posted.
- Birthday/Anniversary Sundays: The worship for Family Service Sunday will include the celebration of birthdays or anniversaries for that given month. Please send us a picture of yourself to include during the Birthday Sunday celebration portion of the liturgy. You can send your photos to [email protected]. We request that you submit your photos by the end of the first week each month to ensure they are included.
- Note from Vestry - Pandemic Appeal Fundraising: Since March 2020, we have been experiencing the effects of Covid-19 in so many ways. Our parish is no different. The pandemic has significantly impacted the parish’s ability to engage in traditional fundraising activities. These activities are important to the Parish for a number of reasons, including opportunities for fellowship and funding the various important ministries. While we have been unable to fundraise by traditional means, the need still remains. In reality, the needs for our various ministries have increased during the pandemic. The Pandemic Appeal has been created as a means for people to contribute, while the normal activities such as the Fall Fair and Christmas concerts are on hold. Until we are able to get back to pre-pandemic times, we have no choice but to continue with the Pandemic Appeal. This Appeal is needed to help us move forward in our ministries, including our new online worship ministry. Since January 1, we have raised only $1,180 for our Pandemic Appeal Please continue to support this important cause as you are able. Many of you have been very generous with your contributions and for that we send you a very heartfelt thank you.
- Live-Streamed Services: To view our Sunday service, please go to the Parish website www.ascensionnl.ca and go to the Social Media tab. Once there, click on the Facebook tab (you do not have to have a Facebook account to view the service). You can also view the service live on the Parish YouTube channel. Go to YouTube and search on Parish of the Ascension NL to view the service live.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction. Thank you.
- Gathering Place ‘Welcome Home’ Gift Card Project: The Anglican Archdeaconry of Avalon is collecting gift cards from any supermarket or Walmart to aid The Gathering Place in supporting clients who are moving into a new residence. Any financial donation of either gift cards or money is gratefully accepted; however, gift suggestions are $30-1 person, $50-2/3 people, $75 4/up. Donations to this worthwhile project will be accepted up to the end of June. You may drop your donations in the church mailbox (located on the front steps of the church). Thank you very much.
- CLB Lunch Take-Out: Each week the CLB offers take out lunch specials on Friday. If you are interested in purchasing for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners.
- Services During the Week: Sunday, June 6 (Pentecost II): 11:00am, Holy Eucharist/BAS ascensionnl.ca
Prayers of the People
On this Trinity Sunday, let us lift our petitions to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, saying: Lord, hear our prayer.
For the ministers of the church, for our Primate Linda, Samuel our Bishop, for the parishes of Harbour Grace and Heart’s Content, our ministry team, and for those worshipping in Nigeria, that they build a community of God, we pray to the Lord: Lord, hear our prayer.
For every member of the human family, that we may be guided to all truth by the Spirit of truth. We pray to the Lord: Lord, hear our prayer.
For the stewards of the earth, that they accept creation as a wondrous gift and work to preserve its beauty, we pray to the Lord: Lord, hear our prayer.
For those who travel, for those who struggle with various life challenges, and for the sick, especially those on the Ascension Prayer Cycle, that their afflictions lead to endurance to virtue, and their virtue to hope, we pray to the Lord: Lord, hear our prayer.
For ourselves in this assembly, all who are impacted by the Pandemic, those undergoing testing, those who received positive results, those in isolation, parking lot attendants and meter readers, all believing in our every deed the good news, that after turmoil and strife, the world may be free of this virus, we pray to the Lord: Lord, hear our prayer.
For those having died in faith, especially Phyllis Leyte, Gerald Horlick, Margaret Jane Vey and David Whitten, and for all the dying, that they may know the love of God, we pray to the Lord: Lord, hear our prayer.
For us who celebrate community here, that our labours spread joy and our witness brings peace, we pray to the Lord: Lord, hear our prayer.
O God, our Father from whom good things flow, we thank you and praise you, singing Holy, Holy, Holy. Answer our prayer and bring us hope through your Son, who celebrates life with you in the unity of the Spirit, now and forever. Amen
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Amelia, Amy, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Baxter, Bob, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, David, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Doug, Dulcie, Ed, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Gerry, Glenda, Gordon, Harry, Hilda, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Judy, Junior, Karl, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lindsay, Lori, Luke, Madeline, Marie, Marsha, Mark, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melissa, Melvin, Michael, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Pam, Phyllis, Rachel, Randell, Randy, Rodney, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sadie, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie, Vera, Victoria and Wayne
Prayer During the Pandemic
God of compassion,
be close to those who are ill, afraid or in isolation.
In their loneliness, be their consolation;
in their anxiety, be their hope;
in their darkness, be their light;
through him who suffered alone on the cross,
but reigns with you in glory,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Father, we praise you:
through your Word and Holy Spirit you created all things.
You reveal your salvation in all the world
by sending to us Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
Through your Holy Spirit
you give us a share in your life and love.
Fill us with the vision of your glory,
that we may always serve and praise you,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Isaiah
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory." The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke. And I said: "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!" Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: "Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out." Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I; send me!" ISAIAH 6:1-8
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,
ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;the God of glory thunders;
the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;
the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;
the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,
and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire; the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;
the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe
and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord
all are crying, "Glory!"
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;
the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;
the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.
God of mystery and power, open our eyes to the flame of your love, and open our ears to the thunder of your justice, that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace, to the glory of your name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. PSALM 29
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John
People: Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Now there was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews. He came to Jesus by night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do apart from the presence of God." Jesus answered him, "Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above." Nicodemus said to him, "How can anyone be born after having grown old? Can one enter a second time into the mother's womb and be born?" Jesus answered, "Very truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be astonished that I said to you, 'You must be born from above.' The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit." Nicodemus said to him, "How can these things be?" Jesus answered him, "Are you a teacher of Israel, and yet you do not understand these things? Very truly, I tell you, we speak of what we know and testify to what we have seen; yet you do not receive our testimony. If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has ascended into heaven except the one who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." JOHN 3:1-17
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer over the Gifts
receive all we offer you this day.
Grant that hearing your word and responding to your Spirit,
we may share in your divine life.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN
Prayer after Communion
Almighty and eternal God,
may we who have received this eucharist
worship you in all we do,
and proclaim the glory of your majesty.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources