Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Readers needed for June, July and August: If you are interested in reading at the 11 a.m. services on any of the following dates, please contact the office at [email protected] or call 368-5693:
- July 18
- August 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
- September 5, 12
- Welcome: Today we welcome as our preacher The Venerable Charlene Taylor, Executive Officer from Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador. Charlene is the former Rector of our sister parish, Parish of the Good Shepherd. We wish her every blessing in her new role as Executive Officer of the Diocese.
- Birthday/Anniversary Sundays: Next Sunday, June 20, we will have our birthday/anniversary Sunday. We will celebrate the birthdays/anniversaries for May and June at this time. This will be the last birthday Sunday celebration until September. Please send us a picture as soon as possible if you would like it included during the Birthday Sunday celebration portion of the liturgy. You can send your photos to [email protected].
- Memorial Gospel /Hymn Sing: Memorial Gospel/Hymn Sing will be held on Sunday July 18, at 6:30 p.m. from the church steps and parking lot. We invite you to join us and if you would like to make a donation in memorial or thanksgiving, please complete the form in the Chimes and return by July 4. Thank you.
- Prayer of the People: Please note, that from July 4 to September 15, Prayers of the People will not be printed. You may still submit names to include on the Ascension Prayer Cycle or be remembered with the deceased at any time by contacting the church office.On-Line Auction: Our online auction will close on Sunday, June 13 at 8 p.m. There are over 85 incredible items available to place bids on. Be sure to check it out on Facebook.
- Log into your Facebook account
- Look up on the top of the page for a small magnifying glass
- Search for Parish of the Ascension Online Auction 2021
- This will bring you to the group. You can join the group to receive notifications as people place bids on items.
- The auction will end at 8 p.m. on Sunday, June 13. The person with the highest bid will be contacted to make arrangements for payment and pick up of item(s).
Good Luck to all participants.
- Gathering Place ‘Welcome Home’ Gift Card Project: The Anglican Archdeaconry of Avalon is collecting gift cards from any supermarket or Walmart to aid The Gathering Place in supporting clients who are moving into a new residence. Any financial donation of either gift cards or money is gratefully accepted. Donations to this worthwhile project will be accepted up to the end of June. There are only two weeks remaining to donate to this cause. You may drop your donations in the church mailbox (located on the front steps of the church). Thank you very much.
- Church Envelopes and Donations: Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts. Thank you.
- Long Term Rental: Effective Monday, June 28 until Friday, September 3, our auditorium will be in use by Max Athletics. As a result, the bathroom facilities downstairs will be unavailable for use during Sunday services. Our washroom upstairs will be available for use during services as usual.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction.
- CLB Lunch Take-Out: Each week the CLB offers take out lunch specials on Friday. If you are interested in purchasing for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners.
- Live-Streamed Services: To view our Sunday service, please go to the Parish website ascensionnl.ca and go to the Social Media tab. Once there, click on the Facebook tab (you do not have to have a Facebook account to view the service). You can also view the service live on the Parish YouTube channel. Go to YouTube and search on Parish of the Ascension NL to view the service live.
- Duties of Church Wardens and Vestry Members: If you are considering becoming active in either of these positions and would like to have more information regarding the duties involved, please refer to the Parish website at www.ascensionnl.ca under Ministries – Vestry and Wardens. There will also be a limited number of paper copies available for pick up at the 11 a.m. service on Sunday.
- Services During the Week: Sunday, June 20 (Father's Day): 11:00am, Family Service/WWB ascensionnl.ca
Prayers of the People
In confidence we offer our prayers to the Lord, saying:
Lord, have mercy.
That the church may always fix its gaze on the life that lasts forever. Let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.
For those who strive to build God’s kingdom, we pray for Samuel our Bishop, Charlene our executive officer, for the parishes of The Holy Spirit, The Holy Trinity, Indian Bay, for those who worship in the Anglican Church in Mexico, and for all clergy. May they enjoy the understanding of their families. Let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.
That we may be filled with the power to amend our lives and to seek forgiveness from those we wrong. Let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.
That our church may remain bound together in fidelity and compassion. Let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.
That all those who gather around this table may find trustworthy brothers and sisters. Let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.
For all the sick and suffering, we pray for those on our Ascension Prayer Cycle. Let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.
For ourselves in this assembly, all who are impacted by the Pandemic, those undergoing testing, those who received positive results, those in isolation, pharmacists and pharmacy teams, all believing in our every deed the good news, that after turmoil and strife, the world may be free of this virus. Let us pray to the Lord: Lord, have mercy.
United in our hope that we and all who die will live again, we pray for family and friends who have died, remembering Betty Kelly, George Murphy and the Afzaal family who were murdered in London Ontario. Let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.
God of loving-kindness, you have ordered all things for our benefit. Listen to our prayers and answer them with blessings. This we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Amelia, Amy, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Baxter, Bob, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Doug, Dulcie, Ed, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Glenda, Gordon, Harry, Hilda, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Judy, Junior, Karl, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lindsay, Lori, Luke, Madeline, Marie, Marsha, Mark, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melissa, Melvin, Michael, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Pam, Rachel, Randell, Randy, Rodney, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sadie, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie, Vera, Victoria.
without you we are not able to please you.
Mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit
may in all things direct and rule our hearts;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the First Book of Samuel
Then Samuel went to Ramah; and Saul went up to his house in Gibeah of Saul. Samuel did not see Saul again until the day of his death, but Samuel grieved over Saul. And the Lord was sorry that he had made Saul king over Israel. The Lord said to Samuel, "How long will you grieve over Saul? I have rejected him from being king over Israel. Fill your horn with oil and set out; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons." Samuel said, "How can I go? If Saul hears of it, he will kill me." And the Lord said, "Take a heifer with you, and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the Lord.' Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do; and you shall anoint for me the one whom I name to you." Samuel did what the Lord commanded, and came to Bethlehem. The elders of the city came to meet him trembling, and said, "Do you come peaceably?" He said, "Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the Lord; sanctify yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice." And he sanctified Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice. When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, "Surely the Lord's anointed is now before the Lord." But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. He said, "Neither has the Lord chosen this one." Then Jesse made Shammah pass by. And he said, "Neither has the Lord chosen this one." Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel, and Samuel said to Jesse, "The Lord has not chosen any of these." Samuel said to Jesse, "Are all your sons here?" And he said, "There remains yet the youngest, but he is keeping the sheep." And Samuel said to Jesse, "Send and bring him; for we will not sit down until he comes here." He sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and had beautiful eyes, and was handsome. The Lord said, "Rise and anoint him; for this is the one." Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the presence of his brothers; and the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward. Samuel then set out and went to Ramah. 1 SAMUEL 15:34-16:13
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble,
the Name of the God of Jacob defend you;
Send you help from his holy place
and strengthen you out of Zion;
Remember all your offerings
and accept your burnt sacrifice;
Grant you your heart's desire
and prosper all your plans.
We will shout for joy at your victory and triumph in the name of our God; may the Lord grant all your requests.
Now I know that the Lord gives victory to his anointed;
he will answer him out of his holy heaven, with the victorious strength of his right hand.
Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall down,
but we will arise and stand upright.
O Lord, give victory to the king
and answer us when we call.
God, our hope and our defence protect all those who call upon your name, that they may stand upright in the day of trouble, and share in the victory of your Son our Saviour Jesus Christ. AMEN. PSALM 20
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark
People: Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Jesus said, "The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come." He also said, "With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade." With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his disciples. MARK 4:26-34
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer over the Gifts
God of reconciliation and forgiveness,
the saving work of Christ has made our peace with you.
May that work grow toward its perfection
in all we offer you this day.
We ask this in his name. AMEN
Prayer after Communion
Holy and blessed God,
as you give us the body and blood of your Son,
guide us with your Holy Spirit,
that we may honour you not only with our lips
but also in our lives.
This we ask in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources