Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Live-Streamed Services: To view our Sunday service, please go to the Parish website ascensionnl.ca and go to the Social Media tab. Once there, click on the Facebook tab (you do not have to have a Facebook account to view the service). You can also view the service live on the Parish YouTube channel. Go to YouTube and search on Parish of the Ascension NL to view the service live.
- E-Transfer: What a great way to contribute to the parish for your weekly offering or special project! If you would like to use an alternate method of payment, please use the following email address: [email protected] and the password is church.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction. Thank you.
- Liturgical Books: We are now permitted to use all our books during our services (Common Praise, Hymnal, and BAS). The books are placed in the pews as before and are to stay there following the service. In accordance with Public Health, these books do not require cleaning as long as there is 24 hours between use. If anyone wishes to bring their own book(s) for the services it is fine to do so.
- COVID Teams: If anyone wishes to join the COVID team for this year please reach out to Kim Pike. [email protected]
- CLB Lunch Take-Out: Each week the CLB offers take out lunch specials on Friday. If you are interested in purchasing for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners.
- Office Closure: Labor Day weekend the office will the closed on Monday September 6th to observe Labor Day.
- Services During the Week:
- September 5, 2021, Pentecost XV: 11:00am - Holy Eucharist/BAS (ascensionnl.ca)
Stir up, O Lord,
the wills of your faithful people,
that richly bearing the fruit of good works,
we may by you be richly rewarded;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Proverbs
A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favour is better than silver or gold. The rich and the poor have this in common: the Lord is the maker of them all. Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity, and the rod of anger will fail. Those who are generous are blessed, for they share their bread with the poor. Do not rob the poor because they are poor, or crush the afflicted at the gate; for the Lord pleads their cause and despoils of life those who despoil them. PROVERBS 22:1-2, 8-9, 22-23
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;
so does the Lord stand round about his people, from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway over the land allotted to the just,
so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good
and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways, the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers; but peace be upon Israel.
Lord, surround your people with your presence. Do not let us stretch out our hands to evil deeds, or be destroyed by the snares of the enemy, but bring us to share the land prepared for the saints in light, where you live and reign, God, now and forever. PSALM 125
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark
People: Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Jesus set out and went away to the region of Tyre. He entered a house and did not want anyone to know he was there. Yet he could not escape notice, but a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit immediately heard about him, and she came and bowed down at his feet. Now the woman was a Gentile, of Syrophoenician origin. She begged him to cast the demon out of her daughter. He said to her, "Let the children be fed first, for it is not fair to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs." But she answered him, "Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs." Then he said to her, "For saying that, you may go the demon has left your daughter." So she went home, found the child lying on the bed, and the demon gone. Then he returned from the region of Tyre, and went by way of Sidon towards the Sea of Galilee, in the region of the Decapolis. They brought to him a deaf man who had an impediment in his speech; and they begged him to lay his hand on him. He took him aside in private, away from the crowd, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spat and touched his tongue. Then looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, "Ephphatha," that is, "Be opened." And immediately his ears were opened, his tongue was released, and he spoke plainly. Then Jesus ordered them to tell no one; but the more he ordered them, the more zealously they proclaimed it. They were astounded beyond measure, saying, "He has done everything well; he even makes the deaf to hear and the mute to speak." MARK 7:24-37
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise you Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer over the Gifts
Great and holy God,
accept our offering of labour and love.
May we bring you true and spiritual worship
and be one with you.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN.
Prayer after Communion
your word and sacrament give us food and life.
May we who have shared in holy things
bear fruit to your honour and glory,
in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN.
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources