Lections: Proverbs 1: 20-33; Psalm 19; Mark 8: 27-38
11:00am: Holy Eucharist (BCP), Presider/ Homilist: Rev’d Lynn Courage Reader: Tasker King
Hymns (CP): 61 vs. 1, 2 & 3; 500 vs. 1, 2, 5 & 6; 577 vs. 1, 2 & 4; 300 vs. 1, 2 & 4
Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Live-Streamed Services: To view our Sunday service, please go to the Parish website ascensionnl.ca and go to the Social Media tab. Once there, click on the Facebook tab (you do not have to have a Facebook account to view the service). You can also view the service live on the Parish YouTube channel. Go to YouTube and search on Parish of the Ascension NL to view the service live.
- E-Transfer: What a great way to contribute to the parish for your weekly offering or special project! If you would like to use an alternate method of payment, please use the following email address: [email protected] and the password is church.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction. Thank you.
- Annual General Meeting: The AGM is postponed until further notice.
- Thank You: I wish to thank all those who filled in for me while I was on vacation, to Mrs. Kearley and the music ministry team, the live streaming team, the COVID team, Hannah our summer student, all readers, for those who attend services and for those who tune in at home. Your support has been great and truly appreciated.
- Coming back to Church: Each week we have a couple of more people attend service for the first time in many months and we invite others to come back and join us. If you are not there yet that’s okay, always know we are there for you and will worship with you as you tune into the service. Although we encourage people to register- ( you do not have to) if you show up on a Sunday and have not registered we will find a space for you.
- Mark your Calendars: on Sunday, September 26th at 6:30 PM we are hosting a shared ministry service with the Good Shepherd. Several months ago a group came together with members from both congregations trying to come up with ideas on how we can do ministry together, this group will be commissioned at this service and the offering for that evening will go to the school lunch program in Mount Pearl.
- Senior Choir Resumes: We are very pleased to announce that on Wednesday, September 15 at 7 pm choir practices will resume for all senior choir members. Please use the side entrance to enter for choir practices.
- Liturgical Books: We are now permitted to use all our books during our services (Common Praise, Hymnal, and BAS). The books are placed in the pews as before and are to stay there following the service. In accordance with Public Health, these books do not require cleaning as long as there is 24 hours between use. If anyone wishes to bring their own book(s) for the services it is fine to do so.
- COVID Teams: We are looking for new members to join our team at present we have five teams but not a full complement of people on each team. If this is something you feel called to do please contact Kim Pike [email protected] or the office.
- CLB Lunch Take-Out: Each week the CLB offers take out lunch specials on Friday. If you are interested in purchasing for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners.
- Quilts and Flowers Festival at the Cathedral: Friday October 1st, 1-8 pm & Saturday October 2nd, 10-4 pm. Come and enjoy floral arrangements, quilts and music offerings. Children (to age 12) are invited to bring along a floral arrangement in a rubber boot or a teapot – delivered to the Cathedral between 6 and 8 pm on Thursday September 30th. If you have a quilt to display, please see the website to complete the registration form and a brief story about your quilt: quiltsandflowersfestival.com ADMISSION: $5 at the door, Families $20 max. (accompanied children under 12 free). PARKING: Around the Cathedral streets and in the parking lot (free) on Friday evening and Saturday.
- Vestry Members Needed: We are in need of new members for vestry. If you have been on vestry in the past please consider rejoining us, we would very much appreciate it. If vestry is new to you and you want to learn more about it please contact Rev. Lynn.
- Services During the Week:
- September 12, 2021, Pentecost XVI: 11:00am - Holy Eucharist/BCP (ascensionnl.ca)
you call your Church to witness
that in Christ we are reconciled to you.
Help us so to proclaim the good news of your love,
that all who hear it may turn to you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Proverbs
Wisdom cries out in the street; in the squares she raises her voice. At the busiest corner she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: "How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge? Give heed to my reproof; I will pour out my thoughts to you; I will make my words known to you. Because I have called and you refused, have stretched out my hand and no one heeded, and because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when panic strikes you, when panic strikes you like a storm, and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently, but will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord, would have none of my counsel, and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way and be sated with their own devices. For waywardness kills the simple, and the complacency of fools destroys them; but those who listen to me will be secure and will live at ease, without dread of disaster." PROVERBS 1:20-33
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,
and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,
and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,
and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;
it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber; it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens and runs about to the end of it again;
nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect and revives the soul;
the testimony of the Lord is sure and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just and rejoice the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is clear and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean and endures for ever;
the judgements of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, more than much fine gold,
sweeter far than honey, than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,
and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?
cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins; let them not get dominion over me;
then shall I be whole and sound, and innocent of a great offense.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.
Gracious creator of heaven and earth, your Word has come among us as the true Sun of righteousness, and the good news of his birth has gone out to the ends of the world. Open our eyes to the light of your law, that we may be purified from sin and serve you without reproach for the sake of Jesus Christ, our Light and our Life. PSALM 19
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Amelia, Amy, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Bob, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, David, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Doug, Dulcie, Ed, Edie, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Glenda, Gordon, Harry, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Judy, Junior, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lindsay, Lori, Luke, Madeline, Marie, Marsha, Mark, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melvin, Michael, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Pam, Rachel, Randell, Rochelle, Rodney, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sadie, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie, Vera.
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark
People: Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" And they answered him, "John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets." He asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Messiah." And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him. Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things." He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." MARK 8:27-38
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise you Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer over the Gifts
accept all we offer you this day.
May we who are reconciled at this table
bring wholeness to our broken world.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN.
Prayer after Communion
God of peace,
in this eucharist we have been reconciled
to you and to our neighbours.
May we who have been nourished by holy things
always have the courage to forgive.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN.
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources