Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Vestry Members/Wardens Needed: Our Parish continues to be in a dire situation regarding the lack of a full complement of Vestry members and Wardens. We are still looking for people to fill these positions. We ask that you give prayerful consideration by coming forward as a Warden or Vestry member. Our meetings have been on-line and will continue to be so while the mask mandate is in place. Please consider joining one of these ministries.
- Confirmation Registration: Confirmation registration will take place on Sunday, October 24 after the 11 a.m. service. Children must be 11 years of age by December 31, 2021 to register.
- Thanksgiving Message: Happy Thanksgiving. On behalf of my family, our ministry team and Vestry, we extend a Thanksgiving blessing to all of you. Even though we are living in a pandemic time and COVID is ever present in our lives, there is still much to be thankful for. Wayne and I are thankful to have our daughter and her boyfriend home whom we have not seen in two and a half years. Hopefully next year we will get to see our son. I am thankful for the parish and those who continue to pray and support those within the community who are struggling in their life. The world can be a scary place at times but God has promised never to leave us or forsake us. This Thanksgiving as you gather with family and friends, I encourage you to thank God for all the people and blessings that have been bestowed upon you. Blessings, Rev. Lynn “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.” Psalm 136:1.
- Vaccine Passport: The Diocese, in consultation with the Provincial Government, is working through the details of the new Vaccine Passport and the impact it will have on worship in our churches. We will provide further details as they become available.
- Office Notice: The office will be closed on Monday, October 11 in observance of Thanksgiving.
- Annual General Meeting: The AGM is scheduled for October 24 at 2 p.m. in the Auditorium. Masks are required and physical distancing will be observed. The Diocesan Administrator will be attending the AGM. Reports will be available a week prior to the meeting if you are interested in obtaining one.
- Community Supper: The pandemic has affected us all in a variety of ways. For some, the pandemic has been around issues of food security. In simple terms, many do not know where their next meal is coming from. To help alleviate the struggle for some, we will be serving a free hot take out meal from the mobile truck. This week, on Wednesday, October 13 from 5-6:30 p.m., the mobile truck will be parked at Park Avenue Pentecostal, 195 Park Avenue. The meal this week will be chicken soup, sandwich, a cookie with a of bottle water. Covid protocols will be observed.
- Message from Vestry: Below is a summary of the Parish’s revenue and expenses:
- 2021 Revenue 208,608
- Expenses (248,835)
- Gain(Loss) (40,227)
- 2020 Revenue 200,989
- Expenses (252,350)
- Gain(Loss) (51,361)
- 2021 Revenue 208,608
- Services During the Week:
- October 17, 2021, Pentecost XXl: 11:00am - BCP/Holy Eucharist
Prayers of the People
Let us give thanks to God, our Father, always and for everything saying, we thank you, Lord.
We give thanks for the Church Universal, of which our building here is a visible symbol. We especially thank you for this Diocese, for Samuel our bishop, for Charlene our Diocesan Administrator, for the parishes of St. Mark, and for the Church of the Province of West Africa. Let us pray to the Lord. We thank you, Lord.
For all who have gathered here today to celebrate and give thanks for the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, may we be filled with gratitude for the grace that we receive from our worship. Let us pray to the Lord. We thank you, Lord.
For the ministry that is provided in this parish, and the blessings which we receive from you and one another. Help us to see your generosity through the gifts that we offer to you and to your Church gathered here. Let us pray to the Lord. We thank you, Lord.
For daily food, for our homes, families and friends, and for their care, love, and support in our lives. We give thanks for shelters, food banks, and all groups and organizations that reach out to the homeless and hungry in our midst. Let us pray to the Lord. We thank you, Lord.
For those who are working towards building a better world where everyone is accepted as your children, and all are able to live in comfort, peace and justice. Let us pray to the Lord. We thank you, Lord.
For this parish of the Ascension, for the founders and benefactors of this holy community, for those who have served and ministered here who have died, and for all the saints whose lives have reflected the light of Christ. We thank you Lord.
For those who are brave and courageous, patient in suffering, and faithful in adversity. We pray especially for those on the Ascension Prayer Cycle. We thank you for the medical and pastoral professionals who ministry to them. Let us pray to the Lord. We thank you, Lord.
We give thanks for the faith of those who have gone before us, especially Neil Mercer and Judy Newell, for their commitment and dedication to you and to your Church. Let us pray to the Lord. We thank you, Lord.
Accept, O Lord, our thanks and praise for all that you have done and continue to do for us. Above all we thank you for your Son, Jesus, for the example of His life and for His risen presence in our lives. We thank you for all your generosity to us, in Jesus’ Name. Amen
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Amelia, Amy, Angela, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, David, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Doug, Dulcie, Ed, Edie, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Glenda, Gordon, Harry, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Janet, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Judy, Junior, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lori, Luke, Madeline, Marie, Marsha, Mark, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melvin, Michael, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Pam, Rachel, Randell, Rochelle, Rodney, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sadie, Sam, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie and Warwick.
Welcome Back Sunday Prayer: We bless you, O God, and we praise your name, you anointed your own Son with the Holy Spirit to preach good news to the poor, to heal the broken hearted and to comfort the sorrowful. Look kindly on your servants whom we send forth as messengers of salvation and peace. Guide their steps, and with the power of your grace strengthen them in spirit. Make their words the echo of Christ’s voice, so those who hear them may be drawn to His Gospel. Through them may your Holy Spirit touch the hearts of all they meet. We ask this through Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Creator of the fruitful earth,
you made us stewards of all things.
Give us grateful hearts for all your goodness,
and steadfast wills to use your bounty well,
that the whole human family,
today and in generations to come,
may with us give thanks for the riches of your creation.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Joel
Do not fear, O soil; be glad and rejoice, for the Lord has done great things! Do not fear, you animals of the field, for the pastures of the wilderness are green; the tree bears its fruit, the fig tree and vine give their full yield. O children of Zion, be glad and rejoice in the Lord your God; for he has given the early rain for your vindication, he has poured down for you abundant rain, the early and the later rain, as before. The threshing floors shall be full of grain, the vats shall overflow with wine and oil. I will repay you for the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent against you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you. And my people shall never again be put to shame. You shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I, the Lord, am your God and there is no other. And my people shall never again be put to shame. JOEL 2:21-27
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
REFRAIN The Lord has done great things for us.
When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, then were we like those who dream. Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy. R
Then they said among the nations, "The Lord has done great things for them." The Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad indeed. R
Restore our fortunes, O Lord, like the watercourses of the Negev. R
Those who sowed with tears will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed, will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves. R PSALM 126
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ According to Matthew
People: Glory to, you Lord Jesus Christ
Jesus said, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you - you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear?' For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." MATTHEW 6:25-33
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer Over the Gifts
Source of all life,
the heaven and earth are yours,
yet you have given us dominion over all things.
Receive the symbols of our labour and love
which we offer you this day,
in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Prayer After Communion
God of our hope,
in this Eucharist we find the source of all your blessings.
Nourished in these holy mysteries
may we, with our lives,
give you continual thanks and praise.
This we ask in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources