Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- All Souls Book: If you would like to remember a loved one by having their name read at our All Soul’s Service on Tuesday, November 2, please write their name in the book provided at the back of the church. We will have pens available; however, we recommend that you use your own pen, if at all possible.
- Vestry Members Needed: It was stated in the Chimes that our Parish is in a dire situation regarding the lack of a full complement of Vestry and Wardens. After consultation with the Diocese, I have received this response from Diocesan Administrator, The Venerable Charlene Taylor and the Chancellor of the Diocese, Brad Wicks: The Parish status is threatened without wardens. If there is no core lay leadership group, the Diocese could disestablish the Parish. This was a difficult conversation for me to have with the Diocese and was very difficult to receive the response that was given, but this is our reality. We ask that you give prayerful consideration by coming forward as a Warden or Vestry member. Our meetings have been on-line and will continue to be so while the mask mandate is in place. Let us all be vigilant in prayer as we discern where is God is leading us. Blessing to you all, Reverend Lynn.
- Vaccine Passport: Effective October 22, 2021, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador has mandated that you must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical exemption in order to attend a faith-based gathering. All individuals over the age of 12 must present official proof of vaccination and identification before being permitted entrance into the building.
- Food Bank: We are resuming collection for food bank items, effective immediately. We will have a bin located in the main entrance of the church for those who would like to bring any items on Sunday, and we will also have a bin located at our side entrance for those who wish to drop their items at the church between 9 a.m. to 12 noon, Monday to Friday. Thank you so much.
- Annual General Meeting: The AGM is scheduled for October 24 at 2 p.m. in the Auditorium. Masks are required and physical distancing will be observed. The Diocesan Administrator will be attending the AGM. Reports will be available next week at the office Tuesday to Friday from 9 – 12, if you are interested in obtaining one.
- Confirmation Registration: Confirmation registration will take place on Sunday, October 24, after the 11 a.m. service. Children must be 11 years of age by December 31, 2021 to register. You may also register by completing the form on our website at ascensionnl.ca. The form is located under the Care button towards the top of our home page.
- CLB Parade: CLB’s 129th Anniversary Parade will be held on Sunday, October 17, 2021, from the C.L.B. Armoury to the Cathedral, (pending approval from the City of St. John’s). Attendance for the service at the Cathedral is limited due to COVID-19 protocols. You may attend a live-stream viewing of the service at St. Matthew’s Church in Bay Roberts from anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Queen’s College Convocation: Queen’s College Convocation will take place on October 21, at 7 p.m. The convocation will be live-streamed on Facebook if you are interested in watching.
- Hockey with Heart: On November 6, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mount Pearl Minor Hockey Association will hold its annual fundraising for community food banks. Donations may be sent to [email protected] with the subject line- Food Bank Donation. Our Blades will also be collecting donations at the following locations: St. Peter's Parish/Salvation Army; Mary Queen of the World; Church of the Ascension; Church of the Good Shepherd; Park Avenue Pentecostal Church Sobeys; Coleman’s; Walmart; and the Glacier. Thank you for your support.
- Community Supper: This week’s free hot take-out meal will be on Wednesday, October 20 from 5-6:30 p.m. The mobile truck will be parked at the Motor Vehicle Registration parking lot, 149 Smallwood Drive. The meal this week will be soup, a sandwich, a cookie with a of bottle water. Covid protocols will be observed.
- Family Service/Birthday & Anniversary Sunday: Our next Family Service is next Sunday, October 24, 11 a.m. At this worship, we will include the celebration of birthdays and/or anniversaries for October. If you would like to be included in these special announcements, please send us a picture of you or the person celebrating. Send your photos to [email protected] by October 21.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up for pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction.
- Church Envelopes and Donations: Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number, and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts. Thank you.
- E-Transfer: What a great way to contribute to the parish for your weekly offering or special project! If you would like to use an alternate method of payment, please use the following email address: [email protected] and the password is church.
- CLB Take-Out Lunch: Each week the CLB offers take-out lunch specials on Friday. If you are interested in purchasing for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners.
- Services During the Week:
- October 24, 2021, Pentecost XXlI: 11:00am - Family Service/WWB
Prayers of the People
Holy One, for the gift of the church handed down through the ages and for all who carry on the servant ministry of Jesus. remembering for the parishes of St. Mary’s and Upper Island Cove and to those worshipping in the Province of the West Indies. We praise you. Send your Holy Spirit upon all who are discerning calls to ministry in its many forms and equip them with your gifts. Hear us, O God! Your mercy is great
Creating One, for the lush and abundant habitat you provide for all your creatures, we praise you. Provide healing for the earth so that all living things flourish as you intend. Hear us, O God! Your mercy is great.
Suffering One, for all who work toward peace and who lead nations with a servant's heart, we praise you. Bring justice for all who suffer violence, persecution, discrimination, hunger, poverty, and homelessness, and create places of refuge for all people. Hear us, O God! Your mercy is great.
Merciful One, for all who do the work of healing in mind, body, and spirit, we praise you. Surround and comfort all who struggle with depression, anxiety, cancer, diabetes, dementia, or any illness especially those on the Ascension Prayer Cycle, that all may be healed. Hear us, O God! Your mercy is great.
Sustaining One, for all who volunteer for the vitality of this congregation, we praise you. Strengthen and encourage those in all ministries and all who serve with generous hearts. Hear us, O God!
Your mercy is great.
Risen One, we thank you for those who have shaped your church and shared your gospel. Through the witness of your saints, continue to inspire us with hope until we all are gathered at your eternal feast. Hear us, O God! Your mercy is great.
For those who have died, that they may pass through the heavens to stand with joy before the throne of grace. Hear us, O God! Your mercy is great.
Confident that you hear us, O God, we boldly place our prayers into your hands, through Jesus Christ, our truth and life.Amen.
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Amelia, Amy, Angela, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, David, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Doug, Dulcie, Ed, Edie, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Glenda, Gordon, Harry, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Janet, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Junior, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lori, Luke, Madeline, Marie, Marsha, Mark, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melvin, Michael, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Pam, Rachel, Randell, Rochelle, Rodney, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sadie, Sam, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tasker, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie and Warwick.
Almighty and everliving God,
increase in us your gift of faith,
that forsaking what lies behind
and reaching out to what is before,
we may run the way of your commandments
and win the crown of everlasting joy;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Job
Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind: "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up your loins like a man, I will question you, and you shall declare to me. Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements - surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone when the morning stars sang together and all the heavenly beings shouted for joy?"
"Can you lift up your voice to the clouds, so that a flood of waters may cover you? Can you send forth lightnings, so that they may go and say to you, 'Here we are'? Who has put wisdom in the inward parts, or given understanding to the mind? Who has the wisdom to number the clouds? Or who can tilt the waterskins of the heavens, when the dust runs into a mass and the clods cling together? Can you hunt the prey for the lion, or satisfy the appetite of the young lions, when they crouch in their dens, or lie in wait in their covert? Who provides for the raven its prey, when its young ones cry to God, and wander about for lack of food?" JOB 38:1-7 (34-41)
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
REFRAIN Lord, how manifold are your works! In wisdom you have made them all.
Bless the Lord, O my soul; O Lord my God, how excellent is your greatness! you are clothed with majesty and splendour.
You wrap yourself with light as with a cloak and spread out the heavens like a curtain. R
You lay the beams of your chambers in the waters above; you make the clouds your chariot; you ride on the wings of the wind.
You make the winds your messengers and flames of fire your servants.
You have set the earth upon its foundations, so that it never shall move at any time.
You covered it with the deep as with a mantle; the waters stood higher than the mountains. R
At your rebuke they fled; at the voice of your thunder they hastened away.
They went up into the hills and down to the valleys beneath, to the places you had appointed for them.
You set the limits that they should not pass; they shall not again cover the earth. R
O Lord, how manifold are your works! in wisdom you have made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.
Hallelujah! R PSALM 104:1-9, 25, 37B
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ According to Mark
People: Glory to, you Lord Jesus Christ
James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came forward to Jesus and said to him, "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you." And he said to them, "What is it you want me to do for you?" And they said to him, "Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory." But Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" They replied, "We are able." Then Jesus said to them, "The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized; but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared." When the ten heard this, they began to be angry with James and John. So Jesus called them and said to them, "You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many." MARK 10:35-45
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer Over the Gifts
your word inspires our faith.
May we who offer you our praise
trust you in all things.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN
Prayer After Communion
God of peace,
you have nourished us in this sacrament
with the body and blood of Christ.
May we who have taken holy things
keep faith in our hearts and lives,
in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources