Baptism of the Lord
Table of Contents
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Community Supper Take-out for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the mobile food truck at Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive every second Wednesday starting January 12 and again January 26. If you know someone who could use a hot meal, please come pick one up for them. The meal will consist of macaroni and cheese, dinner roll and a cookie. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5-6:30 pm.
- On-line Services: Due to the evolving situation with the Omicron virus and as per direction from the Diocese, we have cancelled in-person worship. Instead, we will resume on-line worship each Sunday at 11 a.m. Please join us on-line on our Facebook page at Parish of the Ascension. The service will be recorded and you will be able to view it at a later time on our Facebook page, as well as our YouTube channel.
- Offerings: If you have offerings for the church, you may drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly. Other ways to donate include e-transfer (password: church), or you can contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. We sincerely thank you!
- Church Envelope Numbers: Many of you have noticed that our church envelope numbers have changed. Over the past couple of years, we have reduced the number of envelopes as many numbers were not being used. This enabled us to save funds sorely needed elsewhere. If you had a number between 401 and 700, your number is now changed. Please ensure you use your new 2022 church envelopes and write your name on the envelopes so your givings can be correctly applied to your tax receipt. Thank you.
- Office Closure: The general office will remain closed to the public until further notice. In the event of a pastoral emergency, please contact Rev. Lynn Courage at 682-8500. If your call is not of an urgent nature, you may leave a message on the office phone, 368-5693, and someone will return your call as soon as possible.
- Pre-Authorized Givings: If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please contact the church office at 368-5693 for direction.
- Church Envelopes and Donations: Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts. Thank you.
- E-Transfer: What a great way to contribute to the parish for your weekly offering or special project! If you would like to use an alternate method of payment, please use the following email address: [email protected] and the password is church.
- Services During the Week:
- January 16, 2022, Confession of St. Peter: 11:00am - Morning Prayer
who at the baptism of Jesus
revealed him to be your Son,
anointing him with the Holy Spirit,
keep your children, born of water and the Spirit,
faithful to their calling;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Isaiah
But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour. I give Egypt as your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you. Because you are precious in my sight, and honoured, and I love you, I give people in return for you, nations in exchange for your life. Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you; I will say to the north, "Give them up," and to the south, "Do not withhold; bring my sons from far away and my daughters from the end of the earth - everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." ISAIAH 43:1-7
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
REFRAIN The Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.
Ascribe to the Lord, you gods, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness. R
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of glory thunders; the Lord is upon the mighty waters. The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice, the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour. R
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees; the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon; He makes Lebanon skip like a calf, and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox. R
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire; the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness; the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh. The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe and strips the forests bare. And in the temple of the Lord all are crying, "Glory!" R
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood; the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore. The Lord shall give strength
to his people; the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace. R PSALM 29
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ According to Luke
People: Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ
As the people were filled with expectation, and all were questioning in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Messiah, John answered all of them by saying, "I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased." LUKE 3:15-17, 21-22
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer over the Gifts
God of life and freedom,
we celebrate the revelation of Jesus
as the Christ who makes all creation new.
Accept all we offer you this day
and make us new in him,
who is Lord for ever and ever. AMEN
Prayer after Communion
Gracious God, lover of all,
by this sacrament
you make us one family in Christ your Son,
one in the sharing of his body and blood,
one in the communion of his Spirit.
Help us to grow in love for one another
and come to the full maturity of the Body of Christ.
We ask this in his name. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources