Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Candlemas: For those joining us from home, we encourage you to light a candle in observance of Candlemas.
- In person Worship at the Ascension:
- We will resume in-person worship on Sunday, February 6 at our 11 a.m. service. As per direction from the Diocese, we may have a maximum of 50 people in attendance including clergy, singers, etc. Pre-registration is required. If you are interested in attending service, please contact the church office email [email protected] or telephone 368-5693.
- Pew numbers and spacing has changed from former services. You will be assigned new seating. The assigned pews will change weekly.
- Household “bubbles” or those in your “tight ten” group may be seated together. Please let us know when you register who can sit with you.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- Please keep in mind that our church will be ventilated by opening windows during the service so you are reminded to dress appropriately.
- Anyone over the age of 12 must be fully vaccinated (or have a valid medical exemption) and must present their NL VaxPass upon entering the church.
- The service on Sunday, January 30, will be on-line.
If you are unable to join us in person, please continue to join us on-line on our Facebook page at Parish of the Ascension. The service will be recorded and you will be able to view it at a later time on our Facebook page or our YouTube channel. We will continue to keep you apprised of any changes as they occur.
- Office Reopening: The office will reopen on Monday, January 31, to accept registration for services, etc., however we ask that you restrict any visits to only those absolutely necessary. In the event of a pastoral emergency, please contact Rev. Lynn Courage at 682-8500. If your call is not of an urgent nature, you may leave a message on the office phone, 368-5693, and someone will return your call as soon as possible.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected] (password: church). Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church office number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts.. We sincerely thank you!
- Church Envelope Numbers: Please ensure you use your new 2022 church envelopes and write your name on the envelopes so your givings can be correctly applied to your tax receipt. If you are unable to pick up your envelopes, please contact the office and we will make arrangements to have them dropped to you. The office email address is [email protected] or telephone number is 368-5693.Thank you.
- Ocean Ranger Memorial Prayer Service: Gonzaga High School will be holding its annual Ocean Ranger Memorial Prayer Service to remember those who lost their lives in the tragedy 40 years ago. The service will be held on Tuesday, February 15, 2022 at 10:45 a.m. at St. Pius X church. Due to public health guidelines, this event has limited seating and pre-registration is required. Family members affected by this tragedy are encouraged to register early. To register for this event, please email [email protected] on or before February 10th at 12:00 PM. Masks and NL VAX passes are mandatory.
- Anglican Fellowship of Prayer: On February 28, we are inviting you to join us for an hour of biblical readings, reflection, music, intercession, silence and other types and kinds of prayer. You are welcome to actively participate or simply listen and pray quietly. This will be help via Zoom and the meeting information is as follows:
- Zoom meeting ID: 820 0140 8803
- Passcode: 359803
You can also join us by telephone at one of these numbers: (with the same meeting ID and passcode):
- (778)907-2071; (204)272- 7920; (438)809-7799;
- (587)328-1099; (647)374-4685; (647)558-0588.
We look forward to your prayer and presence with us.
- Home Again Furniture Bank: Due to the evolving pandemic, Home Again Furniture Bank has moved to contactless pick-up and delivery. Our teams will no longer enter homes. Instead, we will drop off and pick-up furniture at the front step, main door or in garages. If this does not work for you and/or you are able to wait until it is safe for us to enter homes and resume normal operations, please connect with us to be added to our waitlist. Thank you for your understanding. 325-4040 or [email protected]
- <strong">Community Supper Take-out for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, February 9. If you know someone who could use a hot meal, please pick one up for them. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5-6:30 pm.
- Services During the Week:
- February 6, 2022 Epiphany V, 11:00am: Holy Eucharist/BAS
Prayers of the People
Lord, give us the eyes of faith to see your presence in your church. Where fear closes our eyes, help us. Where tears blind us, heal us. Where pride gets in the way, set us free to see your love at work in the church throughout the world.
May all who come to this temple recognize your presence in us. Lord, open our eyes: That we may see your light.
Lord, give insight to the nations of this world. Bring the light of peace and justice to those countries darkened by the shadows of war and oppression. Shine your light upon us, and we shall be saved. Lord, open our eyes: That we may see your light.
Lord, we pray for those whose lives are darkened by illness or injury, the sick and the suffering, the lonely and the lost, especially those on the Ascension Prayer Cycle. May all who suffer be visited with the light of your presence, that they may know healing and peace. Lord, open our eyes: That we may see your light.
Lord, we pray for those who have died, especially Don Hillier, Madeline Bannister and Frank Pike, who long to see you in the heavenly realms. We give thanks for their faithful witness as we commend them to your loving care. May they rest in peace and rise in Christ’s glory. Bless and comfort their loved ones, and give us all grateful hearts as we look forward to the consolation of all things in you. Lord, open our eyes: That we may see your light.
Lord God, you are the source of everlasting light. May we who are gathered in this temple be as Simeon and Anna, beholding the glory of Jesus and proclaiming him as a light to all peoples. Merciful Father, accept these prayers for the sake of your Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God, world without end. Amen.
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Alexa, Amelia, Amy, Angela, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Bertha, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, David, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Douglas, Dulcie, Ed, Baby Edward, Edie, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Harry, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Janet, Jason, Jennifer, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Junior, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lori, Luke, Marie, Marsha, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melvin, Michael, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Nicole, Oskar, Pam, Peter, Rachel, Randell, Rochelle, Rodney, Rose, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Rita, Sadie, Sam, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie and Warrick.
Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
for you have sent us your salvation.
Inspire us by your Holy Spirit
to recognize him who is the glory of Israel
and the light for all nations,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Malachi
See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight indeed, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the Lord in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in former years. MALACHI 3:1-4
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
REFRAIN Happy are the people whose strength is in you!
How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts! My soul has a desire and longing for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God. R
The sparrow has found her a house and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young; by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God. R
Happy are they who dwell in your house! they will always be praising you. Happy are the people whose strength is in you! whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way. R
Those who go through the desolate valley will find it a place of springs, for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height, and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion. Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; hearken, O God of Jacob. R
God of pilgrims, teach us to recognize your dwelling-place in the love, generosity, and support of those with whom we share our journey, and help us to worship you in our response to those who need our care; for all the world is your temple and every human heart is a sign of your presence, made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. PSALM 84: 1-7
A Reading from the Letter to the Hebrews
Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested. HEBREWS 2:14-18
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ According to Luke
People: Glory to, you Lord Jesus Christ
When the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law of the Lord, "Every firstborn male shall be designated as holy to the Lord"), and they offered a sacrifice according to what is stated in the law of the Lord, "a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons." Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; this man was righteous and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit rested on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord's Messiah. Guided by the Spirit, Simeon came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him what was customary under the law, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying, "Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel." And the child's father and mother were amazed at what was being said about him. Then Simeon blessed them and said to his mother Mary, "This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed - and a sword will pierce your own soul too." There was also a prophet, Anna the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was of a great age, having lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, then as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshipped there with fasting and prayer night and day. At that moment she came, and began to praise God and to speak about the child to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem. When they had finished everything required by the law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own town of Nazareth. The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favour of God was upon him. LUKE 2:22-40
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
The Blessing of Candles
Priest: Jesus Christ is the Light of the World. Alleluia!
People: A light no darkness can extinguish. Alleluia!
Priest: The Lord be with you.
People: And also with you.
Priest: Let us pray
Almighty and everliving God, you have caused a new light to shine in our hearts in the face of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Through him you give light to the world; in him, you kindle your light in our lives, by him we are guided on the paths of righteousness. Bless with your Holy Spirit these candles, that when sorrow pierces our hearts as it did the heart of our Lord’s mother, they may be to us signs of your grace in times of darkness. Enkindle in us the true light of faith that led Simeon to recognize you and the holy joy that led Anna to praise your name; this we ask through Jesus Christ, our Light and our Redeemer.
Prayer Over the Gifts
accept the joyful offering of your Church,
and grant that your Son may shine in us
as the light that lightens every nation.
We ask this in the name of the same Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Prayer After Communion
God for whom we wait,
you fulfilled the hope of Simeon,
who did not die till he had welcomed the Messiah.
Complete in us your perfect will,
that we in Christ may share in your eternal kingdom;
for he is Lord for ever and ever. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources