Queen's College Sunday
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Queen’s College Sunday: Today we will celebrate Queen’s College Sunday. We welcome guest preacher, Nicole Critch, a theology student at Queen’s College. For those who wish to make a donation to the Queen’s College Appeal, you will find a donation envelope in your Chimes or simply submit your own envelope marked Queen’s College Appeal. Be sure to include your name and donation amount. Thanks so much.
- Ash Wednesday: Ash Wednesday Service will be held on March 2 at 7 p.m. All are welcome.
- Lenten Folders: The Lenten self-denial folders are available for pick up at the back of the church.
- Food Bank Collection: We have resumed collection for our food bank. If you have items you would like to donate, please bring them along on Sunday and place them in the bin at the back of the church. Thank you.
- Covid Team Volunteers: We are looking for volunteers to join our Covid Team. Duties would be similar to that of a Sidesperson, however, you would not be required to speak to the congregation. If you are interested in joining this ministry or would like further information, please contact Kim Pike at 745-6501 or [email protected].
- Online Link for the Opening Eucharist and the 32nd Session of Synod for the Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador: On February 25 & 26, our Diocese will gather online for Synod. You are invited to participate in the Opening Eucharist on Friday, February 25 from our Cathedral, beginning at 7 p.m. You may also watch the Synod proceedings live beginning 8:30 p.m. Friday, February 25 and 9 a.m. Saturday, February 26 (half an hour earlier in parts of Labrador). Please connect by following the Cathedral Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/anglcathstj/ or the Diocesan Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AnglicanEastNL/. Bishop Rose has issued a letter regarding Synod, a copy of which is available at the back of the church.
- World Day of Prayer. This year our parish is hosting the annual service on Friday, March 4 at 7:00 p.m. The theme this year is "I Know the Plans I Have For You". Each year this service is planned by the Women's Inter-Church Council of Canada (WICC) and this years' service was written by members from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. You are invited to attend the service or join us virtually on our usual platforms.
- In person Worship at the Ascension:
- We have resumed in-person worship at our 11 a.m. service. No pre-registration is necessary to attend service.
- Household “bubbles” may be seated together.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- Please keep in mind that our church will be ventilated by opening windows during the service so you are reminded to dress appropriately.
- Anyone over the age of 12 must be fully vaccinated (or have a valid medical exemption) and must present their NL VaxPass upon entering the church.
If you are unable to join us in person, please continue to join us on-line on our Facebook page at Parish of the Ascension. The service will be recorded and you will be able to view it at a later time on our Facebook page or our YouTube channel. We will continue to keep you apprised of any changes as they occur.
- Anglican Life: If you are interested in receiving Anglican Life’s free subscription, you can join our mailing list by one of the following ways:
- email [email protected],
- Phone Rev. Fred Marshall @ (709) 727-4346,
- Mail your request to Anglican Life, 3 Carpasian Road, St. John’s, NL, A1C 3T9.
- Human Trafficking Awareness Day: February 22 is Human Trafficking Awareness Day — a day set aside by Canadians to bring particular attention to the issues of human trafficking and modern slavery in Canada and around the world. Freedom Sunday is a global movement of prayer, worship and action to address the crime of human trafficking. Everywhere, people of faith express compassion and solidarity with trafficked peoples through prayer, bible study and worship, and by making commitments to tackle these egregious crimes. To learn more and download liturgical resources, visit: https://www.anglican.ca/issues/human-trafficking/freedom-sunday/#help.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected] (password: church). Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church office number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts. We sincerely thank you!
- Community Take-out Supper for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, February 23. If you know someone who could use a hot meal, please pick one up for them. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5-6:30 pm.
- Services During the Week:
- February 27, 2022 Transfiguration of the Lord, 11:00am: Holy Eucharist/BAS
Prayers of the People
We pray for the flourishing of God’s gifts to the
Church, saying: Lord of the Church, in your mercy hear us.
God our Father, you give us gifts that we may work together in
the service of your Son: bless the leaders of your Church, that
they may be firm in faith, and humble before you. Today we
remember the parishes of Brooklyn and Buchans, The Episcopal
Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East. Lord of the Church, in
your mercy hear us.
Bless those who teach, that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them. Lord of the Church, in your mercy
Bless those who minister healing, that they may bring wholeness
to others, yet know your healing in themselves. Today we
remember those on the Ascension Pray Cycle. Lord of the
Church, in your mercy hear us.
Bless those through whom you speak, that they may proclaim
your word in power, yet open their ears to your gentle whisper.
Lord of the Church, in your mercy hear us.
Bless those who work in your world today, that in the complexity
of their daily lives they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first. Lord of the Church, in your mercy
February 22 is Human Trafficking Awareness Day—a day set
aside by Canadians to bring particular attention to the issues of
human trafficking and modern slavery in Canada and around the
world. This year, the Anglican Church of Canada designates
February 20, 2022, as Freedom Sunday, an opportunity to learn
about human trafficking and slavery in Canada today. Let us pray,
You comfort the afflicted and heal the broken.
You have fed us this day by your Word of grace, freedom, and
hope. Teach us to walk the ways of gentleness and peace in your
world. Keep your people from callous indifference
To racism, sexism, and violence, That your children from all four
directions May flourish in the beautiful life that is your intention
for creation. Amen. Lord of the Church, in your mercy hear us.
Bless those who are uncertain of their gifts and those who are
powerless in this world’s eyes that they may be made strong in
your gift of the Holy Spirit. Lord of the Church; Lord of the
Church, in your mercy hear us.
Bless those who have died and bless those who mourn their
death, remembering Hilda Hollohan, Albert Piercey, George
Whitten, and those who died on the Spanish trawler. Lord of the
Church, in your mercy hear us.
Almighty Father, grant that Queen’s College and all schools of theology may be homes of faith and fruitful study; and that all their students may so learn truth as to bear its light along their ways, and so learn Christ as to be found in him; who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen. (Adapted from the BCP)
Ascension Prayer Cycle: Aden, Alexa, Amelia, Amy, Angela, Ann, Annie, Aubrey, Audrey, Barbara, Bertha, Brenda, Brian, Brittany, Brandon, Callum, Carl, Cathy, Christina, Cindy, Claire, Clarence, Connie, Debra, Delilah, Dennis, Derrick, Don, Donna, Doreen, Dot, Douglas, Dulcie, Ed, Baby Edward, Edie, Edgar, Elaine, Emily, Erin, Evelyn, Finnley, Frederick, Fred, Frank, Flo, Garrett, Gary, George, Gerald, Harry, Ike, Ina, Ingrid, Ira, Jack, Janet, Jason, Jenny, John, Josephine, Joan, Junior, Kent, Kevin, Kim, Laura, Leo, Leonie, Lori, Luke, Marie, Marsha, Marion, Marylou, Maxine, Maxwell, Melvin, Michael, Michelle, Mike, Mona, Nancy, Nicole, Oskar, Pam, Peter, Randell, Rochelle, Rodney, Rose, Roland, Ruby, Ruth, Sadie, Sam, Sean, Shirley, Stephen, Susan, Tina, Todd, Tom, Valerie and Warrick.
your Son revealed in signs and miracles
the wonder of your saving love.
Renew your people with your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness
sustain us by your mighty power;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. AMEN
A Reading from the Book of Genesis
Joseph said to his brothers, "I am Joseph. Is my father still alive?" But his brothers could not answer him, so dismayed were they at his presence. Then Joseph said to his brothers, "Come closer to me." And they came closer. He said, "I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. And now do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. For the famine has been in the land these two years; and there are five more years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. So it was not you who sent me here, but God; he has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt. Hurry and go up to my father and say to him, 'Thus says your son Joseph, God has made me lord of all Egypt; come down to me, do not delay. You shall settle in the land of Goshen, and you shall be near me, you and your children and your children's children, as well as your flocks, your herds, and all that you have. I will provide for you there - since there are five more years of famine to come - so that you and your household, and all that you have, will not come to poverty.'" And he kissed all his brothers and wept upon them; and after that his brothers talked with him. GENESIS 45:3-11, 15
Reader: The Word of the Lord
People: Thanks be to God
REFRAIN Put your trust in the Lord and do good
Do not fret yourself because of evildoers; do not be jealous of those who do wrong. For they shall soon wither like the grass, and like the green grass fade away. R
Put your trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and feed on its riches. Take delight in the Lord, and he shall give you your heart's desire. R
Commit your way to the Lord and put your trust in him, and he will bring it to pass. He will make your righteousness as clear as the light and your just dealing as the noonday. R
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him. Do not fret yourself over the one who prospers, the one who succeeds in evil schemes. R
Refrain from anger, leave rage alone; do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil. For evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait upon the Lord shall possess the land. R
In a little while the wicked shall be no more; you shall search out their place, but they will not be there. But the lowly shall possess the land; they will delight in abundance of peace. R
But the deliverance of the righteous comes from the Lord; he is their stronghold in time of trouble. The Lord will help them and rescue them; he will rescue them from the wicked and deliver them, because they seek refuge in him. R
God our strength, give us the humility to trust in your loving care, and the patience to be faithful in seeking your kingdom, that we may come to share in the inheritance of your saints; through
Reader: The Lord be with you
People: And also with you
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ According to Luke
People: Glory to, you Lord Jesus Christ
Jesus said, "But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back." LUKE 6:27-38
Reader: The Gospel of Christ
People: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ
Prayer Over the Gifts
accept all we offer you this day.
Lead us to love you with all our heart,
and to love all people with your perfect love.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ. AMEN
Prayer After Communion
in the eucharist we celebrate your love
for us and for all people.
Grant that strengthened by these holy gifts,
we may show your love in our lives,
and know its fulfilment in your presence.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources