Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Congratulations: A letter from Bishop Sam this week announced that Reverend Lynn has accepted and will be a member of the Cathedral Chapter and appointed a Canon effective March 9, 2022. Canon Lynn will be responsible for the Vocational Ministry, Chair of Postulants' Committee, and Examining Chaplain in our Diocese. We are very happy and proud of her in this new appointment. Well done!!
- Lent ll: Today we welcome Reverend Canon John Courage as our guest preacher. Our word for today is Lamentation.
- Synopsis of the 32nd Diocesan Synod: The 32nd Session of the Diocesan Synod of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador, Part A, was held on February 25-26 in an online format for clergy and synod delegates. The theme, Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering (Hebrews 10:23a), was very evident in The Bishop’s Charge and during the presentation of the document The Way Forward (including appendix). The Charge was challenging yet hopeful and well communicated. It is a must read for all of us who are wanting to make a difference in the church. The Way Forward document is another must read centering on “new models of ministry to promote sustainability and growth of the Diocese and its parishes.” I encourage parishioners to read and pray about both of these documents and to familiarize yourself with what is going on in the Diocese as we move forward in ministry together. The links to these documents are listed below:
- Stations of the Cross: Wednesdays in Lent, Reverend Lynn will host the Stations of the Cross at 11 a.m. Parishioners are asked to enter through the side entrance, sign-in, and sanitize your hands upon entering. You will be seated in the church and the booklets will be in the pews. Reverend Lynn will proceed through the stations and you are invited to follow along from your pew. The dates for the Stations of the Cross are: 16, 23, 30 and April 6.
- Lenten Folders and Lenten Booklets: The Lenten self-denial folders and our 2022 Lenten Booklets are available for pick up at the back of the church. The 2022 Lenten Booklets list all services/activities for this Lenten season. Please keep this booklet handy as a reference for all activities.
- Lent in a Bag: Please remember to recycle the paper bags included in your ‘Lent in a Bag’ packages, as well as any other recyclable materials.
- CNIB Outreach: This year, we have partnered with the CNIB as part of our Lenten Outreach. We have set up a tent in the church to receive any items you would like to donate. Some of the items requested include: craft paints, glitter glue, construction paper, coloured Post-It notes, Sharpie markers. For a complete list of items, please refer to your 2022 Lenten Booklet.
- AGM: Our AGM has been rescheduled to Sunday, March 27 at 2 p.m. The reports will be available for pickup on March 20 from the church office.
- Food Bank Collection: We have resumed collection for our food bank. If you have items you would like to donate, please bring them along on Sunday, and place them in the bin at the back of the church. Thank you.
- Community Take-out Supper for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, March 23. If you know someone who could use a hot meal, please pick one up for them. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5 - 6:30 p.m.
- In person Worship at the Ascension:
- We have resumed in-person worship at our 11 a.m. service. No pre-registration is necessary to attend service.
- Household “bubbles” may be seated together.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- Please keep in mind that our church will be ventilated by opening windows during the service, so you are reminded to dress appropriately.
- Anyone over the age of 12 must be fully vaccinated (or have a valid medical exemption) and must present their NL VaxPass upon entering the church.
If you are unable to join us in person, please continue to join us on-line on our Facebook page at Parish of the Ascension. The service will be recorded and you will be able to view it at a later time on our Facebook page or our YouTube channel. We will continue to keep you apprised of any changes as they occur.
Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected] (password: church). Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church office number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number, and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts. We sincerely thank you!
- Services During the Week:
- Stations of the Cross; March 16, 2022, 11:00 am
- Service of Compline; March 16, 2022, 8:00 pm, On-line Service
- Lent II; March 20, 2022, 11:00am, Holy Eucharist/BAS
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources