Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Canon Lynn’s Absence: Canon Lynn will be away from the church office from June 16 to 23, inclusive. During her absence, Rev. Barbara Boone will be available for pastoral emergencies. She may be reached at 364-2814.
- Flower Services:
- Kenmount Road Cemetery Service will take place on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the service will be moved to Thursday evening at 7 p.m. If Thursday evening is inclement, this service will be moved to the Cathedral at 7:45 on Thursday.
- Forest Road Cemetery will take place on Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the service will be moved to Thursday evening at 7 p.m. If Thursday evening is inclement, this service will be moved to the St. Augustine’s church at 7:45 on Thursday.
Confirmation of theses services will be broadcast on VOWR in the early afternoon.
- Memorial Gospel/Hymn Sing: Our outside Memorial Gospel/Hymn Sing will be on Sunday, July 10, 2022, at 6:30 p.m. from the steps of the church. If you would like to donate in memorial or thanksgiving, please complete the form that has been provided and return by June 19. You are invited to bring along a chair if you would like to sit outside of your vehicle.
- Food Bank: Our summer outreach project is to help feed the hungry in our community. We are accepting items for the local food bank. When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you.
- Phones in Church: Please remember to turn your phone off or put it on silent when attending services. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
- CFUW Great Big Book Sale: The CFUW is holding a used book sale on the Avalon Mall parking lot next to Golden Phoenix Restaurant. Masks are mandatory. Cash only sales. Sale will be held from June 21 – 24 at the following times:
- Tuesday, June 21 – 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 22 – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, June 23 – 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday, June 24 – 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (half-price day)
Proceeds will go towards supporting scholarships. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept more used books at this time.
- Community Take-out Supper for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, June 15. If you know someone who could use a hot meal, please pick one up for them. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5 - 6:30 p.m.
- CLB Take Out Lunch: Every Friday, the CLB offers take out lunch specials. If you are interested in purchasing a lunch for your home or office group, please call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursday at 11 a.m.
- Message from Vestry: On behalf of Vestry members of the Parish of the Ascension, we would like to wish everyone a safe and happy summer.
- YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange: We are seeking families that can host a youth here in St. John's, as an alternate host. The YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange is a six-week national summer program for youth ages 16 and 17. Many of the youth who participate in our program are equity-seeking, therefore we are determined to have the program run. The exchange is happening in St. John’s from July 2 to Aug. 13. Supported through the Department of Canadian Heritage, the program is a long-running success and includes the participation of more than 650 young people from across the country. Participating youth can improve their second official language skills and gain important employment experience through a work placement while on an exchange. Those who may have an interest in hosting are asked to go to www.summer-work.com and apply now.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected] (password: church). Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church office number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts. We sincerely thank you!
- A donation was made to the Giving Thanks Fund from Stewart and Cindy Button in celebration of their 69th wedding anniversary.
- Services During the Week:
- National Indigenous Day of Prayer, June 19, 2022, 11am, Holy Eucharist/BCP
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources