Summer Edition 2022
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Memorial Gospel/Hymn Sing: On Sunday, July 10, 2022, at 6:30 p.m., we will host our Memorial Gospel/Hymn Sing from the steps of the church and parking lot. You are invited to bring along a chair if you would like to sit outside of your vehicle. All are welcome to join us!
- Music Ministry at The Ascension: The Senior Choir is looking for new members for September 2022. If you like to sing in church and enjoy learning new music we invite you to join. We are seeking new members for all sections of the choir, whether you can read music or not. If this ministry is of interest to you or you would like more information, please speak to our organist and choir director, Mrs. Ina Kearley.
- Fundraising Concert: On Thursday, September 8th we are hosting a concert featuring the singing group Ladylike, with guest performer Darren Martin. Further details will be available in the coming months regarding ticket sales.
- Flower Services:
- Kenmount Road Cemetery Service will take place on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the service will be moved to Thursday evening at 7 p.m. If Thursday evening is inclement, this service will be moved to the Cathedral at 7:45 on Thursday.
- Forest Road Cemetery will take place on Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the service will be moved to Thursday evening at 7 p.m. If Thursday evening is inclement, this service will be moved to the St. Augustine’s church at 7:45 on Thursday.
Confirmation of these services will be broadcast on VOWR in the early afternoon.
- Prayers of the People: Please note, from June 26 to September 11 we will not have Prayers of the People printed.
- Community Take-out Supper for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive. If you know someone who could use a hot meal, please pick one up for them. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5 - 6:30 p.m. The meals will be served on the following dates during the summer: June 29, July 13 and June 27.
- Food for the Hungry: This year our summer outreach project will be to help feed the hungry. Summer is an especially difficult time for our food banks. Donations of non-perishable food items are most welcome in the Food Box at the Church and although we don’t operate a “Food Bank” as such, we do collect food and forward it to the Community Food Sharing Association. Please consider the less fortunate as we enjoy our summer vacations.
- Live-Streamed Services: We will continue to live-stream our Sunday services during the summer months via our usual social media platforms - parish website www.ascensionnl.ca and YouTube. Please feel free to join us if you are unable to attend in-person worship.
Message from Vestry: On behalf of Vestry members of the Parish of the Ascension, we would like to wish everyone a safe and happy summer.
- The Rev.’d Canon Lynn Courage will be on vacation from August 1 to September 5, 2022. In the event of a pastoral emergency, please call Archdeacon Nancy March at 631-1929.
- Mrs. Ina Kearley, our organist, will be on holidays July 17 and 24 and August 7 and 14, 2022.
- We wish our staff a restful vacation time. As usual, messages may be left on the office telephone and they will be checked and responded to in a timely fashion.
- Summer Cash Flow: Spring and summer are times in which the contributions tend to lessen due to families being away on vacation and enjoying God’s creation. This sometimes creates a cash flow problem during this time of year (salaries, electric bills, synod assessment, etc. still have to be paid). If your regular giving usually gets interrupted in the summer, we invite you to consider one of the following options to help fund our parish ministry during this time:
- If you have not already done so, sign up to contribute to the parish through pre-authorized giving. This is by far the best option as it creates a steady cash flow throughout the year.
- E – Transfers: We now gratefully accept e-transfers. If you would like to make a single donation or weekly donations, please use this address [email protected]. Be sure to indicated where you would like your donation allocated.
- Use the Donations tab option on the Parish Web site and just follow the instructions there.
- Complete your weekly envelopes for the time you will be away from attending services by placing a post-dated cheque in each one and leave them at the office.
- If you miss a Sunday service, simply drop off your envelope for that week in the after-hours mailbox in the front church entrance.
Also, please don't forget the Giving Thanks Fund envelopes which are the ongoing way that we have for making significant donations to the work and ministry of the parish. Your contribution to the Giving Thanks Fund may be used to celebrate significant events such as birthdays and anniversaries in the lives of family and friends. In addition, many use the Giving Thanks Fund to offer thanks for the life and witness of Loved Ones after they have died. Envelopes are in the pews.
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources