Welcome Back Sunday
Lections:Lamentations 1:1-6; Lamentations 3:19-26 (Refrain: Wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord); 2 Timothy 1:1-14; Luke 17:5-10
11:00am: BAS/HE, Officiant/Homilist: Rev. Canon Lynn Courage
Readers: Keith Noel, Fronie Squibb
Hymns: 3 All verses; 551 vs. 1, 2, 4; 577 vs. 1, 2, 4; 244 All Verses; 527 vs. 1, 3, 5
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Mask Update: Masks in church continue to be recommended however, they are not required. We respectfully request that you wear your mask while singing during the service.
- Thank You: Thank you to all who helped make our Welcome Back Sunday a success. We had seventy-seven attendees at our 11 a.m. service and we had sixty people attend our luncheon BBQ. It was wonderful to see both old and new faces. We hope you continue to join us in worship each Sunday!
- Reverend Canon Lynn’s Installation: Today, The Rt. Rev. Samuel Rose, Bishop of Eastern Newfoundland & Labrador, invites you to a Diocesan Celebration of the Holy Eucharist with the Installation of the Dean and Cathedral Chapter and Commissioning of the Bishop’s Council at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist on Sunday, October 2, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. This service will also be live-streamed if you would like to watch.
- Harvest Thanksgiving Decoration: Sunday, October 9, is Thanksgiving Sunday and we will be decorating our Church on Saturday, October 8, from 10:00 to 12:00 noon to reflect our thankfulness for our many blessings. Please come along with items for decorating, such as: vegetables, preserves, berries, cut flowers and any other such items you deem suitable to display your thankfulness to God in this very visible way. You can drop off items on Friday, October 7 from 9 am to 12 noon or Saturday morning. Your help with this activity is most appreciated. All food items will be donated to a food bank following the Sunday service.
- RESCHEDULED: The Old Country Church Gospel Show will not go ahead on Sunday, October 2, however it will now take place as a Christmas show on Friday, December 2. Any tickets purchased will be honoured at the new date and time. If you are unable to attend on December 2 and would like a refund, please contact the church office. Further information regarding ticket sales will be available in the coming weeks. Proceeds will support parish ministry.
- Choir: We have resumed our choir practices each Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. If you are interested in joining this ministry, please feel free to come along. New members are always welcome!
- Blessings of the Animals: The Blessing of the Animals is today at 2 p.m. at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. All are welcome to attend this tradition of blessing pets and animals of all types and their owners.
- Red Cross Appeal to Help Hurricane Fiona: The Canadian Red Cross is working to get help to people in and around affected areas as quickly as possible and provide humanitarian assistance for new needs as they arise. Money raised will enable the Red Cross to carry out relief, recovery, resiliency, and risk reduction activities in and beyond the region at the individual and community levels. The Canadian government is matching donations made by individuals supporting the Canadian Red Cross' Hurricane Fiona appeal. https://donate.redcross.ca/page/114083/donate/1?locale=en-CA.
You may also donate to Primate World Relife Development Fund (PWRDF) through the following link: https://pwrdf.org/pwrdf-accepting-donations-to-hurricane-fiona-relief/.
- Café of Memories: Please join us as we host an afternoon of entertainment and refreshments for those with dementia and their caregivers. The next event for the Café of Memories is Tuesday, October 4, at 2 p.m. at the Freemason’s Hall, 115 Mt. Carson Avenue, Mt. Pearl. Registration is required due to limited space. To register, please call The Alzheimer Society at 576-0608 or email [email protected]. Masks are optional.
- Public Conference on Cancer: On October 15, 2022, there will be a Public Conference on Cancer. At this conference, you will receive information about cancer screening programs and the Provincial Cancer Care Program’s services; listen to perspectives from cancer patients and family members; learn about the importance of patient involvement in researcher partnerships, public events, and health care improvement. For more information, and to receive updates about the conference, contact Sevtap Savas, PhD at [email protected].
- St. Lawrence Parish, Portugal Cove, is hosting a Craft Fair/Trade Show featuring local vendors on Saturday October 29 from 10 am - 5 pm. Admission is $3 per person, with a door prize. Please come along for some unique Christmas gift ideas.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church office number is 368-5693 or email [email protected]
If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
Just a reminder to include your name, envelope number, and amount of the giving on the envelope when you submit your donation. This will ensure you receive credit on your yearly tax receipts. We sincerely thank you!
- Food Bank: We continue to accept items for the local food bank. When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who contributed to the food bank during the summer months. Items were much needed and greatly appreciated!
- In Memory: A donation was made from the estate of Violet Randell in memory of her deceased nephew Ronald A. Randell.
- Services During the Week:
- October 9, 2022, Harvest Thanksgiving, 11am, BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources