Lections: Daniel 7:1-3, 15-18; Psalm 149 (BAS, Pg. 908); Ephesians 1:11-23; Luke 6:20-31
9:30am: Ascension Café
11:00am: BAS/HE/HB, Officiant: Rev. Canon Lynn Courage, Homilist: Rev. Dr. Joanne Mercer
Readers: Robert Nurse, Judy Hindy
Hymns: 283 vs. 1, 2v, 3; Child of Blessing; 276 vs. 1, 2, 4, 6, 8; 284; 323 vs. 1, 3, 4
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Welcome to Guest Preachers: Today we welcome The Reverend Dr. Joanne Mercer, provost of Queen’s College, as our guest preacher. On Wednesday, November 2, The Feast of All Souls’ service, we welcome Reverend Jolene Peters as our guest preacher.
- Ascension Café is Back! Please mark the following dates in your calendar and come and join us for tea, coffee, toast, and other goodies:
- November 13 and 27
- December 18.
The Café will begin at 9:30 a.m. prior to the 11 a.m. service. Looking forward to seeing you at the breakfast!
- Afternoon Card Game: On Monday, November 7, at 2 p.m. Please bring your own cards and baskets. Tea and coffee will be provided. Cost is $6 per person. We hope to see you there!
- Fall Dinner: Our Fall Dinner is on November 18 at 6:30 p.m. There will be a bake sale from 5:30 to 6:30, as well as a gift basket on tickets, 50/50 tickets, and a door prize. Entertainment will be provided by Emma Neville, accompanied by our own Mrs. Kearley. Dinner will be catered by Pat Burton and Sue Garland and will consist of stuffed chicken breast with all the fixings, including dessert of homemade carrot cake. We can provide a gluten free option (you must let us know when purchasing your ticket). Tickets are $25 per person and take out is available. Takeout meals will be ready for pick up at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase after Sunday services, as well as from the office Monday to Friday from 9 – 12 noon. Deadline for tickets/takeout orders is November 10.
- All Souls: Our All Souls service is this Wednesday, November 2 at 7 p.m. Today is the final opportunity to add a deceased loved one’s name to the book at the front of the church. These names will be read at the service. Please ensure the names are printed legibly. Thank you.
- Advent Project – St. Margaret’s Boat: This year for our St. Margaret’s Boat Advent outreach project, we are collecting women’s items for Iris Kirby House. Iris Kirby House provides a safe and secure refuge for women with or without children who are experiencing domestic violence. The items needed are: drug store gift cards; women’s slippers (all sizes); women’s pajamas (all sizes); towels; grocery gift cards; pillows; shampoo; conditioner, and body wash. The boat will be set up on November 13. Please ensure you have your items dropped off by December 11 as they will be presented at the 11 a.m. service on that day. Thank you.
- Sidespeople Needed: We are looking for a few more Sidespeople to assist with our Sunday services. The Sidespersons’ main job is greeting everyone with a friendly hello. If you’re interested, or have any questions, feel free to contact Kim or Lester Pike at 745-6501.
- Confirmation Registration: We will be offering a joint confirmation program between the parishes of the Ascension, Good Shepherd, St. Michael and All Angels, and St. Mary's. Parish of the Ascension Confirmation registration will continue to take place following the 11 a.m. service, please see Mrs. Kearley. Candidates must be 11 years of age by December 31, 2022. Candidates and their families are to attend a meeting and rehearsal on Saturday, November 19, at 3 p.m. at the Ascension. At this meeting, information will be distributed regarding class dates and times and requirements. On Sunday, November 20, at 11 a.m., there will be a special service for candidates and families at the Ascension. Special seating will be assigned for each candidate, a total number of five per family may be seated in this area. If you have any questions, please speak with Mrs. Kearley or Canon Lynn.
- A Country Christmas Show: On Friday, December 2, we will host the Country Christmas Show, featuring musical guests Ladylike (Karla Pilgrim, Terri Lynn Eddy and Carole Besvater), Darren Martin and members of the Ascension Choir. Any tickets purchased for our previously scheduled show will be honoured at the new date and time. Tickets are available for purchase after the 11 a.m. service or you may drop by the church office from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Café of Memories: The Alzheimer Society of Newfoundland is hosting an afternoon of entertainment and refreshments for those with dementia and their care partners. Event will take place on Wednesday, November 2 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Freemason’s Hall, 115 Mt. Carson Avenue, Mt. Pearl. Registration is required and masks are optional. To register, please call the Alzheimer Society at 576-0608 or email [email protected]. Event is free of charge.
- St. Augustine’s Fall Fair: We have a ticket sale on two items: Christmas Goodie Basket and a Gift Card Christmas planter, both items are valued at $400 each. Tickets are 5 for $5. If you are interested, please call the church office at 753-1931.
- St. Mark’s Anglican Church (203 Logy Bay Road): Their Fall Fair will be held on Saturday, November 5, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Morning Coffee will also be served. For more information, please call the church office at 726-3213.
- We welcome the newly baptized: Lenni-Louise Maxse Best-Norman. We receive you into the household of God. Confess the faith of Christ crucified, proclaim his resurrection, and share with us in her eternal priesthood.
- If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church office number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Services During the Week:
- Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2022, All Souls, 7pm, BAS/HE
- Sunday, Nov. 6, 2022, Remembrance Day, 11am, BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources