Act of Remembrance
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Welcome to Guest Preacher: Today we welcome as our preacher Chief Warrant Officer John A.T. Heffernan MMM, CD, Brigade Sergeant Major, 37 Canadian Brigade Group.
- Daylight Savings Time: Don’t forget to set your clocks back one hour this weekend as day light savings time ends!
- Office Closure: The office will be closed on Friday, November 11, in observance of Remembrance Day.
- Afternoon Card Game: Our first card game of the year is tomorrow, Monday, November 7, at 2 p.m. Please bring your own cards and baskets. Tea and coffee will be provided. Cost is $6 per person. We hope to see you there!
- Fall Dinner: Our Fall Dinner is on November 18 at 6:30 p.m. There will be a bake sale from 5:30 to 6:30, as well as a gift basket on tickets, 50/50 tickets and a door prize. Entertainment will be provided by Emma Neville, accompanied by our own Mrs. Kearley. Dinner will be catered by Pat Burton and Sue Garland and will consist of stuffed chicken breast with all the fixings, including dessert of homemade carrot cake. We can provide a gluten free option (you must let us know when purchasing your ticket). Tickets are $25 per person and take out is available. Takeout meals will be ready for pick up at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase after Sunday services, as well as from the office Monday to Friday from 9 – 12 noon. Deadline for tickets/takeout orders is November 10.
- Advent Project – St. Margaret’s Boat: This year for our St. Margaret’s Boat Advent outreach project, we are collecting women’s items for Iris Kirby House. Iris Kirby House provides a safe and secure refuge for women with or without children who are experiencing domestic violence. The items needed are: drug store gift cards; women’s slippers (all sizes); women’s pajamas (all sizes); towels; grocery gift cards; pillows; shampoo; conditioner, and body wash. The boat will be set up on November 13. Please ensure you have your items dropped off by December 11 as they will be presented at the 11 a.m. service on that day. Thank you.
- A Country Christmas Show: On Friday, December 2, we will host the Country Christmas Show, featuring musical guests Ladylike (Karla Pilgrim, Terri Lynn Eddy and Carole Besvater), Darren Martin and members of the Ascension Choir. Any tickets purchased for our previously scheduled show will be honoured at the new date and time. Tickets are available for purchase after the 11 a.m. service or you may drop by the church office from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Anglican Life is the tri-diocesan newspaper for the three dioceses across Newfoundland & Labrador. What will you get with your subscription:
- Stories and photographs from our many contributors
- Regular and guest columnists providing spiritual and thought-provoking insight on a variety of topics
- The Anglican Journal, the newspaper for the Anglican Church of Canada, bringing you news from across the country and beyond.
If you are a member of one of our congregations, you can receive the church’s newspaper for free by subscribing. Write to [email protected] or call The Rev’d Fred Marshall, Officer of the Anglican Joint Committee, at (709) 727-4346.
- PWRDF World of Gifts: Are you looking for a gift for that special person? Are you looking for a way that your gift-giving brings about positive change? Why not consider the Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund’s World of Gifts. These gifts provide things like food security, clean water, disaster relief, support to indigenous programs and much, much more. Go to https://pwrdf.org/world-of-gifts/ and give a gift that truly keeps on giving.
- Workers’ Action Network of Newfoundland and Labrador is a community of workers in low-wage and unstable/precarious work who seek to learn from one another, support one another, and build a collective voice in the struggle for decent work conditions. We provide education to workers about workplace rights, empower workers to take action when those rights are denied, and advocate for stronger labour standards legislation. Workers can reach out to us through our website at WorkersActionNL.ca.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox will be monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected] Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church office number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items were much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Topsail United Church will be hosting a fall and Christmas Bake Sale on Saturday November 19 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. in the Church Hall. All are Welcome.
- Services During the Week:
- Sunday, Nov. 13, 2022, Pentecost 23, St Margaret's Boat, 11am, BCP/HC
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources