Advent 1 - Hope
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Welcome: Today welcome Canon Tom Mugford, Canon for Indigenous Ministry and Advocacy, as our guest preacher. Canon Mugford is originally from Cartwright but currently resides in St. John’s. He is a beneficiary of the Labrador Inuit land claims agreement. Next week we welcome Reverend Donna Mercer as our guest preacher.
- Next Ascension Café will be on December 11. Come and join us for tea, coffee, toast and other goodies. All are welcome!
Job Postings: The Rt. Rev. Samuel Rose is accepting applications for the following positions:
- Priest-in-Charge, (Rector) full-time, for the Parish of the Ascension.
- Priest, full-time. This position will be half-time as the Associate Priest in the Parish of the Ascension and half-time Priest-in-Charge for the Parish of the Good Shepherd. This is a new ministry model between two independent parishes. This model is a one-year contractual position with the possibility of renewal.
The Selection Committee members for the Rector’s position are: Bob Barnes, Randy Spurrell, Sheila Foote, Kim Pike and Nickie Butler. The Selection Committee members for the shared position are the wardens from both parishes.
- Christmas Tree Lighting & Carol Sing: We will hold our annual Tree Lighting and Carol Sing on Sunday, December 18 at 6:30 p.m. in the parking lot. If you would like to light a bulb in memory of a loved one for a minimum donation of $5.00 per bulb, or in honour of a special occasion, please complete a form available at the entrance of the church (or in your Advent package). Forms must be returned to the office no later than December 14. Thank you.
- Church Calendars: We have church calendars available for purchase for $5.00 each. Calendars are available after the 11 a.m. service and through the church office, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Christmas Hamper Project: Our Christmas Hamper Project is underway and our Advent tree is up. Please take a tag or two from the Advent tree at the back of the church. Donations can be dropped off at the church office between December 5 to December 9. If you would like to make a monetary donation for the Hamper Project, you can do so via e-transfer at [email protected]. You may also drop it in the collection plate or at the church office during regular office hours. If you would like to provide a hamper for a family, please contact the church office (368-5693) and leave your name and number. We will contact you with the details of the family you will be matched with. The deadline for drop off of donations is Sunday, December 11. We thank you for your support! Christmas Hamper Team – Karen Anthony, Nickie Butler, Kathy MacPherson.
- Breakfast with Santa: Our Breakfast with Santa will be held on Saturday, December 10, from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., followed by a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus and a sing along. Tickets are $6 per person and tickets must be purchased in advance (children under 4 eat free). Tickets may be purchased after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday or from the office, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Monday, December 5.
- TIME IS RUNNING OUT TO PURCHASE TICKETS –This Friday, December 2, we will host the Country Christmas Show, featuring musical guests Ladylike (Karla Pilgrim, Terri Lynn Eddy and Carole Besvater), Darren Martin and members of the Ascension Choir. Tickets are available for purchase after the 11 a.m. service or you may drop by the church office from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon. Tickets may also be purchased at the door.
- Thank you:
- A big thank you to Lisa Fancey and her team for organizing another successful on-line auction. This year, we raised $1,304.
- We would also like to thank all those who helped make our Fall Dinner a success. The total raised for that was $1,549.
Thanks to all who participated in these events. Your support is greatly appreciated!
- Readers Needed: We are looking for readers for the Advent, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services. If you are interested in this ministry, please contact the office. Thank you.
- St. Margaret’s Boat: The boat is launched! This year, we are collecting women’s items for Iris Kirby House. The items needed are: drug store gift cards; women’s slippers (all sizes); women’s pajamas (all sizes); towels; grocery gift cards; pillows; shampoo; conditioner, and body wash. Please ensure you have your items dropped off by December 11 as they will be presented at the 11 a.m. service on that day. Thank you.
Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- St. Paul's Church children's Program: Children ages 6 to 12 are invited to join us for an evening of music, games, snacks and a short lesson. The program will be held monthly, starting December 2 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Church, 202 Main Road, Goulds. The theme for December 2 is A Celebration of Jesus' Birthday. Pre-registration is preferred. To register call/text 689-8960 or email [email protected] or visit St. Paul's Anglican Church Facebook page. There is no cost to attend the program.
- Advent Letter/Church Envelopes: Your Advent letter, schedule of events, Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony form, and church envelopes for 2023 are now available. Packages are located at the entrance of the church. Please pick them up as you enter or leave. If you are able to deliver any envelopes, we would be most appreciative. Thank you.
- Services During the Week:
- Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2022, Stations of the Crib, 10:30am
- Sunday, Dec. 4, 2022, Advent II, 11am, BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources