Advent II - Peace
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Welcome: Today we welcome Reverend Donna Mercer as our guest preacher. Next week, we welcome Dean William Bellamy as our guest preacher.
- Next Ascension Café will be on December 18. Come and join us for tea, coffee, toast, and other goodies. All are welcome!
- Canon Lynn’s Retirement: As you are all aware, Canon Lynn will retire on December 31 of this year. To celebrate her ministry with the Ascension, we will hold a “cup of tea” after the 11 a.m. service on December 18. You are all invited to join her and Wayne in the Auditorium as we wish them well on the next chapter of their lives!
- LAST CHANCE TO PURCHASE TICKETS: Breakfast with Santa: Our Breakfast with Santa will be held on Saturday, December 10, from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., followed by a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus and a sing along. Tickets are $6 per person and tickets must be purchased in advance (children under 4 eat free). Tickets may be purchased after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday or from the office, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Monday, December 5.
- Tax Receipts for 2022 Year: Please note, any givings received by noon on FRIDAY, December 30 will be included on your 2022 tax receipt. Givings received after this time will be included on your 2023 tax receipt. Givings can be dropped in the mailbox on the front steps up to 12 noon on December 30 or they can be dropped in the office (please see the notice regarding hours of operation during Christmas). Thank you.
- Office Hours During Christmas: The office will be closed for Christmas break during the following times:
- December 23 - Office will close at 12 noon.
- December 26 – 29 - Office will be closed.
- December 30 - Office will close at 12 noon. (Donations received up to this time will be included on your 2022 tax receipt.)
- January 2, 2023 - Office will be closed in observance of
New Year’s Day.
- January 3, 2023 - Office will reopen with regular hours.
- MSC: The Men's Service Club will hold their meeting this Tuesday, December 6 at 10:30 a.m. The main purpose of the meeting is to decide on the future of the club. All members who are able are urged to attend. Same mask rules as we have for all church events apply.
- Church Calendars: We have church calendars available for purchase for $5.00 each. Calendars are available after the 11 a.m. service and through the church office, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon.
Christmas Tree Lighting & Carol Sing: We will hold our annual Tree Lighting and Carol Sing on Sunday, December 18 at 6:30 p.m. on the parking lot. If you would like to light a bulb in memory of a loved one for a minimum donation of $5.00 per bulb, or in honour of a special occasion, please complete a form available at the entrance of the church (or in your Advent package). Forms must be returned to the office no later than December 14. Thank you.
- St. Margaret’s Boat: Reminder that we are collecting women’s items for Iris Kirby House. The items needed are: drug store gift cards; women’s slippers (all sizes); women’s pajamas (all sizes); towels; grocery gift cards; pillows; shampoo; conditioner, and body wash. Please ensure you have your items dropped off by December 11, as they will be presented at the 11 a.m. service on that day. Thank you.
- Christmas Hamper Project: Please take a tag or two for items to purchase for the Hamper Project from the Advent tree at the back of the church. Donations can be dropped off at the church office between December 5 to December 9. If you would like to make a monetary donation for the Hamper Project, you can do so via e-transfer at [email protected]. You may also drop it in the collection plate or at the church office during regular office hours. If you would like to provide a hamper for a family, please contact the church office (368-5693) and leave your name and number. We will contact you with the details of the family you will be matched with. The deadline for your donations is Sunday, December 11. We thank you for your support! Christmas Hamper Team – Karen Anthony, Nickie Butler, Kathy MacPherson.
- Community Supper Take Out Meal: For anyone in need, the next Mount Pearl Community Supper will take place on Wednesday, December 14 from 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Meals will be takeout only and can be picked up from the Church of the Good Shepherd, 111 Richard Nolan Drive. All COVID-19 protocols will be followed, and no registration is required.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need, particularly during this holiday season. When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items were much needed and greatly appreciated!
- C.L.B. Regimental Band is holding "A Celebration of Music...With a Sprinkling of Christmas" on Sunday, December 11, 2022 at the C.L.B. at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. To purchase, please call 722-1737.
- Services During the Week:
- Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2022, Stations of the Crib, 10:30am
- Sunday, Dec. 11, 2022, Advent III, 11am, BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources