Advent III - Joy
Lections: Isaiah 35: 1–10; The Song of Mary (Luke 1: 46b – 55); James 5:7–10; Matthew 11: 2 – 11
11:00am: BAS/HE, Officiant: Reverend Canon Lynn Courage, Homilist: The Very Reverend William Bellamy
Readers: Robert Nurse; Stewart Button
Hymns: 88, 363, 105, 91, 362, 505
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Welcome: Today we welcome The Very Reverend William Bellamy as our guest preacher.
- Canon Lynn’s Retirement: As you are all aware, Canon Lynn will retire on December 31 of this year. To celebrate her ministry with the Ascension, we will hold a “cup of tea” after the 11 a.m. service on December 18. You are all invited to join her and Wayne in the Auditorium as we wish them well on the next chapter of their lives!
- Christmas Tree Lighting & Carol Sing: We will hold our annual Tree Lighting and Carol Sing on Sunday, December 18 at 6:30 p.m. in the parking lot. If you would like to light a bulb in memory of a loved one for a minimum donation of $5.00 per bulb, or in honour of a special occasion, please complete a form available at the entrance of the church (or in your Advent package). Forms must be returned to the office no later than December 14. Thank you.
- Christmas Memorials: If you are interested in honouring a loved one in remembrance in our Christmas Memorial Booklet, information will be accepted up to January 15, 2022. Please provide your name, envelope number, and the name of the honoree. If you lit a bulb at our Christmas Tree Lighting and Carol Sing, your loved one’s name has been added to the Memorial Booklet. Booklets will be available by January 29, 2022.
- Iris Kirby House: Today we welcome Michelle Greene, Executive Director of Iris Kirby House. Michelle will accept your generous donations to St. Margaret’s Boat Advent Project. Thank you to all who contributed to this worthwhile cause.
- Thank You: A sincere thank you to all who contributed to the success of our Country Christmas Show. Special thanks to musical talents Ladylike, Darren Martin, and our own Ascension Choir, who provided spectacular entertainment. We raised $1,425 through this endeavor.
- Tax Receipts for 2022 Year: Please note, any givings received by noon on FRIDAY, December 30 will be included on your 2022 tax receipt. Givings received after this time will be included on your 2023 tax receipt. Givings can be dropped in the mailbox on the church’s front steps up to 12 noon on December 30, or they can be dropped in the office (please see the notice regarding hours of operation during Christmas). Thank you!
- Office Hours During Christmas: The office will be closed for Christmas break during the following times:
- December 23 - Office will close at 12 noon.
- December 26 – 29 - Office will be closed.
- December 30 - Office will close at 12 noon. (Donations received up to this time will be included on your 2022 tax receipt.)
- January 2, 2023 - Office will be closed in observance of New Year’s Day.
- January 3, 2023 - Office will reopen with regular hours.
- Change of Address for Tax Receipts: If you have had a change of address during the year, please ensure you notify the church office. Tax receipts will be issued early in January and we want to ensure they are mailed to the correct address. Thank you.
- Community Supper Take Out Meal: For anyone in need, the next Mount Pearl Community Supper will take place on Wednesday, December 14, from 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Meals will be takeout only and can be picked up from the Church of the Good Shepherd, 111 Richard Nolan Drive. All COVID-19 protocols will be followed, and no registration is required.
Church Calendars: We have church calendars available for purchase for $5.00 each. Calendars are available after the 11 a.m. service and through the church office, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Advent Letter/Church Envelopes: Your Advent letter, schedule of events, Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony form, and church envelopes for 2023 are now available. Packages are located at the entrance of the church. Please pick them up as you enter or leave. If you are able to deliver any envelopes, we would be most appreciative. Thank you.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need, particularly during this holiday season. When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items were much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Services During the Week:
- Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2022, Stations of the Crib, 10:30am
- Sunday, Dec. 18, 2022, Advent IV, 11am, Lessons and Carols
- Sunday, Dec. 18, 2022, Tree Lighting & Carol Sing, 6:30pm, Parking Lot
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources