Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Wednesday Lenten Services: Each Wednesday in Lent we will hold an evening service (BAS/Evening Prayer) at 7 p.m., beginning on Wednesday, March 1. If you are interested in reading at any of the Lenten services, please sign the sheet located at the entrance of the church. Thank you.
- Ascension Café: The next Ascension Café will be on February 12. All are invited to join in the fellowship.
- Revised Counting Schedules: The revised Counting schedule is available for pick up at the entrance of the church for anyone who would like a copy.
- Christmas Memorials: Booklets for Christmas Memorials are available at the entrance of the church. Thank you.
- AGM Reports: If you have not already submitted your yearly report for 2022, please do so by Friday, February 10, 2023. Thank you.
- Three Key Messages from Vestry:
- Dean Bellamy was pleased to inform the Vestry of a request from the Provost of Queen's College, Dr. Joanne Mercer, that they would like the Parish of Ascension to host the Queen's College Convocation and Reception on May 11, 2023. Watch for further details and volunteer opportunities in future communications.
- Vestry wishes to acknowledge the wonderful and important work of Scott Hillyer in our community and Parish. Keep Scott and his family in your prayers as he fights this challenging battle with his health. Scott continues to be actively involved with the Community Supper even as he fights his battle. Consider a donation as you are able to the GoFundMe set up by his friends. You can get more information on how to donate via Counsellor Isabelle Fry and Paula Tessier at gofundme.com Standing with Scott.
- Kim Pike, Executive Director of HAFB and Vestry member, shared heartwarming stories of clients that have been given hope with donations from the Home Again Furniture Bank. Vestry would like to remind all of us how important this ministry is. This organization touches people in ways we cannot imagine, not only providing furniture, but providing hope and changing lives! Donate if you are able.
- Ecumenical Service: The Ecumenical Service in celebration of Mount Pearl Frosty Festival will be held Sunday, February 12, at 3:00 p.m. in Our Lady, Queen of Families (formerly St. Peter’s) Roman Catholic Church. A reception will follow in the church hall. People from all congregations in Mount Pearl are participating, and all are welcome.
- Queen’s College Appeal: Sunday, February 12 is Queen’s College Appeal Sunday. Envelopes are available at the entrance of the church if you would like to make a donation. Thank you.
- Contact Information for Parish Rector/Priest-in-Charge: If you would like to contact the parish Rector/Priest-in-Charge, you may now call 769-2533.
- Tax receipts: Tax receipts for the 2022 year are available for pick up at the entrance of the church. Any receipts that have not been picked up by February 28 will be mailed to the address we have on file. If you have not already picked up your church envelopes, please remember to do that as well. Thank you!
- Crafternoon: Come join members of the ACW as we make greeting cards for an outreach project. This event will take place on Monday, February 6, from 2 - 4 p.m. and is open to ALL members of the parish. No experience necessary and all materials will be supplied. We'll put the kettle on, feel free to bring a snack if you wish.
- Community Supper: For anyone in need, the Mount Pearl Community Supper will take place on Wednesday, February 8, from 5:00-6:00 p.m. Meals will be takeout only and can be picked up during that time from the Church of the Good Shepherd, 111 Richard Nolan Drive. The meal this week will be bar-b-que chicken with rice pilaf, veggies, dinner roll and dessert. Please share the word. This meal is for anyone who would like a hot dinner. Also remember if you or anyone you know would like to sponsor a meal, they can contact [email protected]
- Ministry Opportunities from the Diocese of Eastern NL: Currently, there are two volunteer positions available within the Eastern Diocese. One position is for a Treasurer and the other is for a Diocesan Representative to the Board of Directors of Anglican Homes Inc. Further information on both of these positions can be found in the Bishop’s letters on the bulletin board at the entrance of the church.
- Church of the Good Shepherd:
- Workshop: Mapping the Ground We Stand On, a reconciliation workshop, will be held on Tuesday, February 7 at 7 p.m. at the Church of the Good Shepherd. This workshop is made available through PWRDF; facilitator is Canon Tom Mugford. To register, please email the church office at [email protected] or call 747-1022.
- Pancake Supper: A pancake supper will be held on Tuesday, February 21, with dine-in or take-out meals available. Suppers include pancakes, baked beans, sausages and desert, all for $10 (children $6). Take-out will be available for pick up at 4:30 p.m. Dine-in will be serving at 6 p.m. For tickets, please call the church office at 747-1022.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Poinsettias: Please feel free to take any of the poinsettias on the table at the entrance of the church.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need. When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Ocean Ranger Memorial Prayer Service: Gonzaga High School will be holding its annual Ocean Ranger Memorial Prayer Service to remember those who lost their lives in the tragedy 41 years ago. The service will be held on Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 10:30 a.m. at Basilica of St. John the Baptist.
- Services During the Week:
- Sunday, Feb. 12, 2023, Epiphany VI: 11:00am, BAS/HE/HB
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources