Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Daylight Savings Time: Begins on Sunday, March 12. Remember to set your clocks ahead one hour as we “Spring Ahead”!
- Pot Luck Supper: On Thursday, March 30, at 6 p.m. we are hosting a pot luck supper. Bishop Sam Rose will be joining us at this event. You will see the tree set up at the entrance of the church with tags listing the items requested. If you would like to make a dish for the supper, please take a tag (or two). We will need to know how many people plan to attend in order to arrange seating. If you plan on attending this event, you will need to get an admission ticket. Admission tickets will be available in the side foyer following the 11 a.m. service. You may also pick one up from the office Monday to Friday, 9 to noon while quantities last. Deadline to pick up tickets is Sunday, March 26 There is no charge for this event however, we will have limited seating of 100. All are invited to join us in this time of fellowship.
- Scent-Free Environment: Please keep in mind that we are a scent-free environment. Please refrain from wearing scented products when entering the building. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!
- Annual General Meeting: The Annual General Meeting is scheduled for Sunday, March 19, at 2 p.m. The meeting will take place in the church. In the event of inclement weather, the alternate date for the meeting is Sunday, March 26. Please remember to bring along your copy of the Annual Reports if you plan on attending the meeting. The Annual Reports are available for pick up at the main entrance of the church or from the church office.
- Livestreaming Services: As you know our Sunday services are livestreamed so those unable to attend can watch from home. Did you know our Wednesday services during Lent (7 p.m.) are also livestreamed? If you would like to join us virtually, please do so via the usual social media platforms (Facebook or YouTube) or through the parish website www.ascensionnl.ca.
- Community Supper Take-out for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, 22. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by and pick one up. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Lenten Outreach Project: This Lent, we have partnered with The Association for New Canadians hoping to provide backpacks and school supplies to children new to the Province. You may provide a backpack only or you may choose to include some of the items in the backpack or you may donate any of the items listed. You may leave the items in the location provided by the pulpit. We will present your generous donation to a representative from The Association for New Canadian at the Palm Sunday Service. Here is a list of suggested tems needed: Backpacks, Pens, Pencils, Rulers, Highlighters, Geometry Sets, Calculators, Colouring Leads, Crayons, Coloured Markers, Small Scissors, Glue Sticks, Sketch Books for Art, Binders, 1”, Loose-leaf Paper, Exercise books, Duotang folders, White Erasers, Sharpeners, Construction Paper, general school supplies. Thank you for your support of this worthwhile Lenten Outreach Project.
- CFUW Great Big Book Sale: CFUW St. John’s is collecting gently used books from March 2 to March 22, 2023 for the annual sale. Please drop off at the former Bouclair store adjoining the Phoenix Restaurant, Kenmount Rd, Avalon Mall Parking lot. Hours: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., seven days a week. We accept fiction and non-fiction, for all ages and interests in good condition. We do not take encyclopedias, textbooks, Readers Digest condensed books, magazines, outdated technology manuals and VHS tapes. Save the Date for the Great Big Book Sale to be held at the same location: March 30, 1:00 - 9:00 p.m.; March 31, 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.; April 1, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (Half price day) Masks required at the sale. The sale supports CFUW scholarships and community outreach. See for further information: http://www.cfuwstjohns.org
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Services During the Week:
- Wednesday, March 15 at 7pm, BAS/Evening Prayer
- Sunday, March 19 at 11am, Lent IV Mothering Sunday, BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources