Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Scent-Free Environment: Please keep in mind that we are a scent-free environment. Please refrain from wearing scented products when entering the building. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!
- Afternoon Card Game: We are having an afternoon card game on Monday, April 10, at 2 p.m. Please bring along your own cards and baskets. Tea and coffee will be provided. We will also have baked goods for sale and some ‘Grab bags”. Cost is $6.00 per person. All are welcome to attend.
- Pot Luck Supper: On Thursday, March 30, at 6 p.m. we are hosting a pot luck supper. Bishop Sam Rose will be joining us at this event. You will see the tree set up at the entrance of the church with tags listing the items requested. If you would like to make a dish for the supper, please take a tag (or two).
We will need to know how many people plan to attend in order to arrange seating. If you plan on attending this event, you will need to get an admission ticket. Admission tickets will be available in the side foyer following the 11 a.m. service. You may also pick one up from the office Monday to Friday, 9 to noon, while quantities last. Deadline to pick up tickets is Sunday, March 26 There is no charge for this event but we have limited seating of 100. All are invited to join us in this time of fellowship.
- Annual General Meeting: The Annual General Meeting is today at 2 p.m. in the church. Please remember to bring along your copy of the Annual Reports if you plan on attending the meeting.
- Lenten Outreach Project: This Lent, we have partnered with The Association for New Canadians hoping to provide backpacks and school supplies to children new to the Province. You may provide a backpack only or you may choose to include some of the items in the backpack or you may donate any of the items listed. You may leave the items in the location provided by the pulpit. We will present your generous donation to a representative from The Association for New Canadian at the Palm Sunday Service. Here is a list of suggested items needed: Backpacks, Pens, Pencils, Rulers, Highlighters, Geometry Sets, Calculators, Colouring Leads, Crayons, Coloured Markers, Small Scissors, Glue Sticks, Sketch Books for Art, Binders, 1”, Loose-leaf Paper, Exercise books, Duo-tang folders, White Erasers, Sharpeners, Construction Paper, general school supplies. Thank you for your support of this worthwhile Lenten Outreach Project.
- Church of the Good Shepherd - Godly Play Core Training: We are pleased to announce that we will be offering three-day accredited Godly Play Training on May 4 (6 p.m. to 10 p.m.); May 5 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and May 6 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Attendance at all sessions is required for certification. A minimum of six participants are required so the training will proceed if we have enough registrants. The session will be led by Accredited Godly Play Trainers Donna Ronan and Kathy Peddle and assisted by Accredited Godly Play Storyteller Reverend Barbara Boone. For more information on cost and registration please contact by email [email protected].
- Community Supper Take-out for Those in Need: This is a hot, free take-out meal for those in need. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, March 22. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by and pick one up. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Ministry Opportunity from the Diocese of Eastern NL: The Diocese continues to look to fill the position of volunteer Treasurer for the Eastern Diocese Board of Trustees, Anglican Charitable Foundation for Children (ACFC). If you would like your name put forward, please contact the office. Thank you.
- Grief Support Group: Eastern Health’s Pastoral Care, Ethics & Bereavement Services Department invites people grieving the loss of a loved one to join an eight week Living with Grief Support Program. This support group is available in-person and virtually. The first in-person group meets on Mondays from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., beginning April 10, 2023. The second in-person group meets on Thursdays from 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., beginning on April 20, 2023. The virtual group meets by Zoom on Thursday’s from 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., beginning April 13, 2023. For more information or to register, call 777-6959, or email us at [email protected].
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Services During the Week:
- Wednesday, March 22 at 7pm, BAS/Evening Prayer
- Sunday, March 26 at 11am, Lent V, BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources