Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- The next Ascension Café is on Sunday, April 30. All are invited to join in this time of fellowship.
- Office Closure: The Office will be closed on Monday, April 24.
- Earth Day: We are in trouble. And when I say “we” I mean all the inhabitants of this earth. Our Eucharistic Prayer 4 speaks of “this fragile earth, our island home.” Never has our earth been more fragile! Climate change is a reality, although there are still many who deny it. But who can deny the much hotter weather in so many parts of the world, the more intense and destructive storms, the life-destroying drought in parts of Africa and the United States? If we cannot reverse climate change, life on this planet will become more and more problematic. People concerned about humanity’s future have come together to highlight the problems of climate change and the challenges that face each of us. Our Church is part of an international initiative called For the Love of Creation. They have a webpage (fortheloveofcreation.ca) which provides resources for Canada-wide education, reflection, action and advocacy for climate justice.
The Anglican Church of Canada amended our Baptismal Covenant to include the challenge: “Will you strive to safeguard the integrity of God’s creation, and respect, sustain and renew the life of the Earth?” We respond, “I will, with God’s help.” We pray for God’s help in our Prayers of the People today. Let us each do our individual part, as we find the opportunity to care for our island home. The lives of our grandchildren and their children depend upon our doing that.
- Thank You: We would like to say thank you to all who contributed to our Lent and Easter celebrations, including the following individuals and groups: Eucharistic Assistants; Altar guild; Choir members; Readers; Sidespersons, and Counters. Much appreciation to our guest preachers, Canon John Courage and Reverend Fred Parrott. Also, to Jean and Tom Nash for the preparation and maintenance of our beautiful Easter Garden. Thank you to all the parishioners who joined our in-person worship and to all those who joined us virtually on our various social media platforms. To all who helped in any way during the Easter season, your help was greatly appreciated!
- Readers: We are compiling a list of readers for our services from May to September. If you are interested in reading at any Sunday service, please sign the sheet at the entrance of the church or you may call the office (709-368-5693) to have your name added to the list. You are welcome to read at more than one service if you wish. We really appreciate your support.
- Service of Farewell: On Thursday, April 27, at 7 p.m. we will have a service for the previous rector, David Burrows. Following the service, there will be a reception in the Auditorium. All are welcome to attend!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. Meals will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, May 3. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Scent Free Environment: Please keep in mind that we are a scent free environment. Please refrain from wearing scented products when entering the building. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!
- Alzheimer Society: Dementia caregivers are invited to an afternoon of entertainment and refreshments (for those with dementia and their caregivers) on Tuesday, May 2, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. at Freemasons’ Hall, 115 Mount Carson Avenue, Mount Pearl. There is no charge for the event, but registration is required due to limited space. Please register with the Alzheimer Society by phone (709-576-0608) or email at [email protected]. The next event will be June 6 with music by: “Dem Fellas.” The event is being hosted by Lodge Westmoorland in partnership with the Alzheimer Society.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Free Book Table: There are many books for your viewing and ownership on a table at the back of the church. Please help yourself and enjoy your reading.
- Services During the Week:
- Good Shepherd Sunday, April 30 at 11am, BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources