Easter Day V
Lections: Acts of the Apostles 7:55-60; Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16 (Refrain: Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.); 1 Peter 2:2-10; John 14:1-14. Eucharistic Prayer 1
11:00 am: BAS/HE
- Officiant: The Very Reverend Wm Bellamy
Readers: Margaret Yetman; Edward Somerton
Hymns: 389, 515, 459, 61, 532
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Ascension Café: The next Ascension Café will be on Sunday, May 14. Please come and join us for this time of fellowship.
- Father Michael Horlick's Birthday: Unfortunately, the 90th Birthday Celebration on May 10th for Father Michael Horlick has been cancelled.
- Special Events in May:
- May 11 Queen’s College Convocation at 2 p.m., followed by a reception in the Auditorium. All are welcome!
- May 28 Confirmation at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist at 2 p.m. All are welcome!
- May 29 Afternoon Card Party at 2 p.m.
- Ministry Team: Bishop Rose has announced the appointments of the two priests who will lead the Parish of the Ascension in company with the lay leadership already active: The Ven. Nancy March to be Rector, effective August 1, 2023, and the Rev. Scott Winsor to be Assisting Priest (half-time), effective June 16, 2023. We ask God’s blessing upon them as they prepare to begin their ministry with us.
- Clean Up Day: A Glance around our property is all it takes to know some clean up is badly needed. We will be announcing a Clean Up Day shortly, and hope that a goodly number will come and do some necessary tidying.
- Setting Sail: This new initiative of the diocese will begin formally in 2024, but planning work needs to start now. There will be a special meeting here at Ascension for member of several parishes on May 31, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. The Bishop is asking a goodly number of parishioners from these various parishes to attend. So please mark your calendars now and plan to be there.
- Flower Service: The annual Flower Service at the Kenmount Road Cemetery will be held in mid-July. We need a number of parishioners to help staff the gate (2-hour shifts) and direct traffic. The specific date will be given shortly. Meanwhile, if you are able to assist with this please let People’s Warden Randy Spurrell know.
- Food Requested: On Thursday, May 11, at 2 p.m., we are hosting the Queen’s College Convocation. This is a wonderful opportunity for the parish. We will have a reception in the Auditorium following the service, which will include refreshments. If you can contribute food items (i.e., cookies, sandwiches, muffins, etc.), we ask that you drop them at the church by 12 noon, Thursday, May 11. Thank you very much.
- Readers: We are still looking for readers for our services from May to September. If you are interested in reading at any Sunday service, please sign the sheet at the entrance of the church or you may call the office (709-368-5693) to have your name added to the list.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, May 17. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Visitation of the Bishop of Guatemala: The Rt. Rev. Silvestre and Mrs. Thelma Romero. During their visit, there will be public events for you to attend. These events are open for in-person and online attendance. All clergy and laypeople are welcome.
- Wednesday, May 10 at 7 pm An Evening with Bishop Romero – Parish of the Resurrection, South River - watch live on the Parish YouTube channel.
- Saturday, May 13 at 10 am A Morning with Bishop Romero – All Saints, CBS – Watch online at https://www.facebook.com/AllSaintsAnglicanChurchCBS/
- Sunday, May 14 at 7 pm The Installation of Canons at our Cathedral with guest preacher Bishop Romero – Watch online at https://www.facebook.com/anglcathstj/
- We hope you are able to participate in these events and learn more about our Anglican family in Guatemala.
Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Services: Easter VI, May 14, 2023 @ 11:00am - BCP/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources