Easter VI (Mother's Day)
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Mothers’ Day: Special greetings to the mothers in our congregation on this Mothers’ Day, and to all who provide motherly care. The nurture that mothers give us is perhaps the most formative influence we experience in the first years of our lives, and we thank God for them. In some cases, however, the natural mother is absent, and so we remember with thanksgiving those others who care for us—grandmothers, step-mothers, foster mothers, day care givers, teachers, and friends. Happy Mothers’ Day to all!
- Confirmation: On Sunday, May 28, confirmation will take place at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist at 2 p.m. The confirmation candidates are from the parishes of Ascension, Church of the Good Shepherd, St. Michael and All Angels, and St. Mary the Virgin. All are welcome!
- Afternoon Card Party: On Monday, May 29, at 2 p.m. we are hosting an afternoon card party. Bring along your own cards and baskets. Admission is $6 and all are welcome to come and join us for an afternoon of fun!
- Readers: We are compiling a list of readers for our services from May to September. If you are interested in reading at any Sunday service, please sign the sheet at the entrance of the church or you may call the office (709-368-5693) to have your name added to the list. You are welcome to read at more than one service if you wish. We appreciate your support!
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. Meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, May 17. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Setting Sail: This new initiative of the diocese will begin formally in 2024, but planning work needs to start now. There will be a special meeting here at Ascension for members of several parishes on May 31, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. The Bishop is asking a goodly number of parishioners from these various parishes to attend. So please mark your calendars now and plan to be there.
- Flower Service: The annual Flower Service at the Kenmount Road Cemetery will be held in mid-July. We need several parishioners to help staff the gate (2-hour shifts) and direct traffic. The specific date will be given shortly. Meanwhile, if you can assist with this please let People’s Warden, Randy Spurrell, know.
- Queen’s College Convocation and Reception: We wish to express our sincere gratitude to all who have contributed in any way, including food to make the Queen’s College Convocation and Reception a memorable event! We are grateful for the honour of hosting this year! We extend our congratulations and blessings to all the students and their families!
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Services: Ascension Sunday, May 21, 2023 @ 11:00am - BAS/HE/HB
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources