Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Confirmation Candidates: We pray for our confirmation candidates as they are confirmed today at The Cathedral at 2 p.m.; Jessi Elizabeth Daw, Victor Joseph Daw, Zachary Graham Raymond Dawe, Keegan Jody Ennis, Jeremy Austin Newell, Paige Madison Newell, Henry Frank Nash Power, Carter Dennis Smith, Emily Lorraine Squires, Maria Davi Squires.
- Set Sail Diocesan Initiative: Please plan to attend the gathering this Wednesday, May 31, 7 – 9 p.m. in our auditorium. People from St. Paul’s (Goulds), Petty Harbour, St. Mary’s, and the Church of the Good Shepherd will be joining us, and Diocesan representatives, to discuss this new undertaking. Bishop Rose gave us a preview at our recent pot-luck dinner. Now we will have a chance to discuss and question the plans, and learn what we are being invited to do.
- Last Things / Endowments: Over the years our diocese and our parish have benefitted greatly from bequests people have made in their wills, leaving money or other gifts for the work of the Church they loved during their lives. At the entrances to the Church there is a brochure titled, How Will You Be Remembered? about planning to make gifts you wish to leave to the Church after your life on earth is finished. Please take one and give it your prayerful consideration.
- Organist/Pianist Needed: Looking for an organist/pianist to play for Sunday morning 11 a.m. services at The Parish of the Ascension, Mount Pearl during July and August. This would include playing a prelude, five hymns and a postlude. The organ or piano may be used. If interested, please contact the organist at [email protected] or phone the church office at 709-368-5693. Thank you.
- Afternoon Card Party: Don’t forget we are hosting an afternoon card party tomorrow, Monday, May 29 at 2 p.m. Bring along your own cards and baskets. Admission is $6 and all are welcome to come join us for an afternoon of fun!
- Property Clean Up: A glance around our property is all it takes to know some clean-up is badly needed. We invite all parishioners to join us on Tuesday May 30 at 6:30 p.m. to assist with the clean-up and tidying of our outside property. Please bring any necessary outdoor equipment that you have.
- Restoring the Common Cup Today: We will have both administrators stand side by side in the middle of the altar rail gate: the priest will administer the bread and the Eucharistic Minister the wine. Those wishing to receive the bread will receive from the priest. If they do not want to receive the wine, they will turn to their right and return to their pews passing by the organ. If they wish to receive the wine also, they will step over to the Eucharistic Minister and after receiving turn to their left and return to their pew passing by the pulpit. If this causes any difficulty, please let us know. We are happy to bring Communion to the pews for people who have trouble walking and climbing the steps. If you need us to do this, please let one of the greeters know when you enter the church.
- Diocese of Central Newfoundland Co-ed Youth Camp: Boys and Girls learning together: This camp is open to children 8 to 14 year of age. Camp dates are July 24 – July 28 at Lion’s Max Simms Memorial Camp located at the Great Rattling depot on the Exploits River. Further information and camp applications are available at the entrance of the church. The Theme of this year’s camp is Wonderfully Made: Loved Before You Were Born.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Donations: A donation was made to the Giving Thanks fund in memory of Ronald Randell (son of Minnie Randell) from Uncle Harvey and Aunt Violet Randell.
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on Wednesday, May 31. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Covid-19 protocols will be observed. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Services: Trinity Sunday, June 4, 2023 @ 11:00am - BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources