Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Ascension Café: The next Ascension Café will be on Sunday, September 17 at 9:30 a.m. Please join us for this time of fellowship! Donations of flour, coffee and jams are much appreciated.
- Afternoon Card Party: Our next afternoon card party is tomorrow, Monday, September 11 at 2 p.m. Admission is $6 per person. We will have Grab Bags available for $3 each. Please bring your own cards and baskets. All are invited to join in the fun!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive on September 13. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Senior Choir: Choir practice will resume on Wednesday, September 13 at 7 pm. We are looking for new members to join the choir. If you are interested in joining this ministry, please feel free to come along on Wednesdays at 7 pm.
- Saints and Sinners Music Group: We are looking for new members to join our praise band, Saints and Sinners. If you can play the guitar or another instrument and would like to join this ministry, please speak to Mrs. Kearley, our organist. Our next family service is September 24th.
- Reading in Church: We are in the process of compiling a list of parishioners who are interested in reading at our Sunday services. If you are interested, please email the office at [email protected] or call (709) 368-5693 to have your name added to our list. Thank you to all who have volunteered in the past, your commitment is greatly appreciated.
- Phones in Church: Please remember to turn your phone off or put it on silent when attending services. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Children’s Ministry: Until we can offer a regular Sunday school program, we still want to encourage our children (grandchildren, nieces, nephews, God children, etc) to come to church. Archdeacon Nancy will be introducing ‘Sunday School in Your Seat’ for children up to 10 years of age. Each child will be given an activity bag for them to complete in their seat during our worship. There will also be snacks included. Please share this information as we do our best to make our worship space inviting for our youngest members.
- Message from the Diocese: In our baptismal covenant we promise to "strive to safeguard the integrity of God's creation, and respect, sustain, and renew the life of the Earth." The Season of Creation is an ecumenical movement that provides us with the opportunity to be intentional about living into this promise, and to discern ways in which we can tangibly make a difference in the fight to end climate injustice. On Friday, September 15, from 1pm-3pm, Fridays for Future (a group of young climate activists inspired by Greta Thunberg), has organized a Global Climate Strike. We will meet at the MUN clock tower and march to the Confederation Building. If you are unable to march, please join us at the Confederation Building. The purpose of this strike is to join in the global fight to end fossil fuels. The organizers state, "The Science is clear: the world needs a rapid and just transition away from fossil fuels to an energy and economic system that is efficient, fair, and equitable." With this in mind, and as we work toward goal 5 in Set Sail: Charting the Course for God's Church, I ask that you please advertise this event in your bulletins and on your social media outlets. This is a great way for the church to engage in the world and to show that we are truly serious about climate justice.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Pentecost 16: Sunday, September 17 @ 11am: BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources