Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- The next Ascension Café will be on Sunday, October 1 at 9:30 a.m. Please join us for this time of fellowship! Donations of flour, coffee and jams are much appreciated.
- Bishop’s Visit: Bishop Samuel Rose will be our guest preacher/presider at our Thanksgiving service on Sunday, October 8 at 11 a.m.
- Afternoon Card Game: Our next afternoon card game will be held on Monday, October 16 at 2 p.m. Admission is $6 per person. Coffee and tea will be provided. Please bring your own cards and baskets. All are welcome to come join the fun!
- Confirmation Registration: Confirmation 2024 registration will take place on Sunday, November 5, following the 11 a.m. service. Candidates must be 11 years of age by December 31, 2023. Further information will be provided at the time of registration.
- Youth Group: On Friday, September 22, the Youth Group will meet at the Church of the Good Shepherd from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for an evening of Science Fun. The following is a list of dates for meetings up to the end of December: October 13, October 27, November 10, November 24, December 8. Youth from ages 12 and up are invited to attend. See you there! On September 24 we are having a youth led church service at the Good Shepherd at 10 a.m. Those who attended CLAY will give a report on their trip. You are welcome to come along and participate if you wish.
- Hospital Visitation: If for some reason you are admitted to the hospital and would like to have a visit from one of our clergy, you must indicate this upon admission to the hospital or have a family member advocate on your behalf. Our clergy would be more than happy to visit you however, due to confidentiality regulations, you must specifically request a visit from clergy at The Ascension, if this is your wish.
- Vestry Meeting: A reminder to Vestry members that our regularly scheduled meeting will take place on Thursday, September 28 at 7 p.m. here at the church. Please plan to attend, if at all possible.
- Bishop’s Writings: Bishop Rose has written an open letter to the Diocese for National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on September 30, 2023. A copy of the letter has been posted on the bulletin board at the entrance of the church and copies are available for pick-up if you would like one.
- Choir: We have resumed choir practice each Wednesday at 7 p.m. If you are interested in joining this ministry, please feel free to come along. New members are always welcome!
- Reading in Church: If you are interested in reading in church as part of our regular services, please select a date and add your name to the sign-up sheet at the entrance of the church. Or you may call the office to have your name added to the list. Thank you to those who have participated in our services thus far. Your commitment is greatly appreciated!
- Phones in Church: Please remember to turn your phone off or put it on silent when attending services. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
- Scent Free Environment: Just a reminder that we are a scent free environment. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping our church a scent-free place. Thank you.
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, September 27. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Parish of the Good Shepherd Jiggs Dinner: On Monday, September 25, the Parish of the Good Shepherd will be holding a Jiggs Dinner (eat-in or take out). Dinner includes salt beef, vegetables, and dessert. Tickets are $20 each and are available from the church office by calling (709) 747-1022. The church office is open Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 1:30 to 4:30 and Thursday morning from 9:30 - 12:30. Payment is accepted through EMT, cash or cheque. If you choose EMT payment, kindly indicate in the comment section of your transfer that it is for the Jiggs Dinner. Dinners can be picked up at 4:30 and dine-in is at 6 p.m. on September 25.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Feast of St. Michael’s and All Angels Pentecost 18, October 1, 2023 @11am: BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources