Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Confirmation Registration: Confirmation 2024 registration will take place today following the 11 a.m. service. Candidates must be 11 years of age by December 31, 2023. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Confirmation team and assisting with the classes, please contact Mrs. Kearley. No experience necessary – training will be provided!
- Ascension Café: The next Ascension Café will be on Sunday, November 12. All are welcome to join in this time of fellowship.
- Breakfast with Santa: On Saturday, December 9 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., we are having Breakfast with Santa. Breakfast will include eggs, bacon, bologna, pancakes, toast, juice, tea, and coffee. Breakfast will be served from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and following this, there will be a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus for the kids from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The cost is $10 per adult and $5 for children under 12. Tickets will be available after the 11 a.m. service or from the office Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, December 3.
- Cold Plate Supper: We would like to express our sincere thanks to all who helped make our cold plate supper a resounding success. So many people donated their time, as well as baked goods, it was heart-warming to witness! Devotion to ministry is alive and well here at the Ascension. The money raised will help support our many ministries. Thank you all so much!
- Advent Bible Study: If you are interested in attending an Advent Bible Study beginning on Wednesday, November 29 at 10:30 a.m. and continuing until Wednesday, December 20, please add your name to the list at the entrance of the church, email [email protected] or call the office at 709-368-5693.
- Youth Group: On Friday, November 10, the Youth Group will meet at the Church of the Good Shepherd from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Youth from ages 12 and up are invited to attend.
- Sunday Services at 8:30 a.m.: On Sunday, November 26, we are resuming our 8:30 a.m. service. These services will be Book of Common Prayer. They will be held every second Sunday, and most will coincide with Ascension Café Sunday. Please refer to your Chimes to confirm which Sundays. All are welcome to attend.
- Family Service and Barbeque: After our Family Service today, we invite you to join us in the Auditorium for a barbeque lunch. Come have a hot dog or hamburger and meet other families at the Ascension. There will be entertainment for the children. We hope to see you there!
- Afternoon Card Game: We will have our regular Afternoon Card Game on Monday, November 20 at 2 p.m. Cost is $6 per person. Please bring your own cards and baskets. All are welcome to join the fun.
- Fall Card Game and Luncheon: On Saturday, November 25, we are having a Fall Card Game and Lunch with soup and sandwiches. Lunch will be prepared by members of the Ascension. The cost is $10 for lunch and $5 for the card game. Please feel free to attend the luncheon only or the card game only if that is your preference. Lunch will be served at 12 noon and the card game will begin at 2 p.m. We will have a table with ladies’ accessories, craft goods, baked goods and preserves for sale. Donations of preserves, homemade baked goods and homemade items are gratefully accepted. Tickets are available after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday or from the office Monday to Friday from 9 to noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, November 19.
- Christmas Dinner and Entertainment: On Thursday, December 7, we are having a Christmas Dinner (with entertainment by special guest, Darrin Martin). The meal will be catered is by Patrica Burton. Tickets are $30 per person. Eat in or take out is available. We will have tickets on a gift basket, as well as 50/50 tickets for purchase. Tickets are available after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday or from the office Monday to Friday from 9 to noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, November 25. Don’t be disappointed … get your ticket early as we will have limited seating.
- Office Closure: The office will be closed on Monday, November 13, in observance of Remembrance Day.
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, November 8. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Daylight Savings Time: Don’t forget to set your clocks back one hour this weekend as daylight savings time ends.
- Remembrance Sunday, November 12, 2023 @11am: BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources