Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Advent Bible Study: If you are interested in attending an Advent Bible Study beginning on Wednesday, November 29 at 10:30 a.m. and continuing until Wednesday, December 20, please add your name to the list at the entrance of the church, email [email protected] or call the office at 709-368-5693.
- Sunday Services at 8:30 a.m.: On Sunday, November 26, we are resuming our 8:30 a.m. service. These services will be from the Book of Common Prayer. They will be held every second Sunday, and most will coincide with Ascension Café Sunday. Please refer to your Chimes to confirm which Sundays. All are welcome to attend.
- St. Margaret’s Boat will be launched on Sunday, November 19! This year, we are collecting items for Thrive. Thrive’s vision is meeting vulnerable individuals where they are, helping them go where they want to go, and supporting them to be who they want to be. Their mission is to assist vulnerable individuals to achieve their full potential and enhance the capacity of social serving agencies. Thrive was established in 2001 and is part of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Community Youth Networks (CYNs). The CYNs were established to provide services and support to resilient youth 12 – 18 years of age who live in poverty and have limited access to mainstream programs and services. The items they are requesting are personal care items such as shampoo, deodorant, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes, feminine products, and men’s and women’s underwear (sizes s to plus). There is no need to wrap your donations. Please ensure that your items are dropped off by Sunday, December 17, as they will be presented to a representative of Thrive at the 11 a.m. service on that day.
- Volunteers Needed: We are currently looking for volunteers for various ministries at the Ascension. Some of these are: Parish Network Team; Ways and Means Committee, Eucharistic Assistants, Choir, Confirmation Team, Sunday School etc. Whether you are a new member of our congregation or someone who has worshiped here for many years, please feel free to join any of these ministries that are of interest to you. Training and support will be provided. You may speak with Reverend Nancy or contact the church office. Thank you.
- Breakfast with Santa: On Saturday, December 9 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., we are having Breakfast with Santa. Breakfast will include eggs, bacon, bologna, pancakes, toast, juice, tea, and coffee. Breakfast will be served from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and following this, there will be a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus for the kids from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The cost is $10 per adult and $5 for children 12 and under. Tickets will be available after the 11 a.m. service or from the office Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, December 3.
- Family Service and Barbeque: Thank you to all who attended our Family Service and Barbeque last Sunday. It was wonderful to see so many join in this time of fellowship. Thank you to all who contributed in any way to the success of this event!
Afternoon Card Game: We will have our regular Afternoon Card Game on Monday, November 20 at 2 p.m. Cost is $6 per person. Please bring your own cards and baskets. All are welcome to join the fun.
Fall Card Game and Luncheon: On Saturday, November 25, we are having a Fall Card Game and Lunch with soup and sandwiches. Lunch will be prepared by members of the Ascension. The cost is $10 for lunch and $5 for the card game. Please feel free to attend the luncheon only or the card game only if that is your preference. Lunch will be served at 12 noon and the card game will begin at 2 p.m. We will have a table with ladies’ accessories, craft goods, baked goods and preserves for sale. Donations of preserves, homemade baked goods and homemade items are gratefully accepted. Tickets are available after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday or from the office Monday to Friday from 9 to noon. The deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, November 19.
- Christmas Dinner and Entertainment: On Thursday, December 7 we are having a Christmas Dinner (with entertainment by special guest, Darrin Martin). The catered meal will be by Pat Burton. Tickets are $30 per person. Eat in or take out is available. We will have tickets on a gift basket, as well as 50/50 tickets for purchase. Tickets are available after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday or from the office Monday to Friday from 9 to noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, November 25. Don’t be disappointed … get your ticket early as we will have limited seating.
- Youth Group: On Friday, November 24, the Youth Group will meet at the Church of the Good Shepherd from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Youth from ages 12 and up are invited to attend. See you there!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, November 22. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Candlelight Vigil for Peace in Israel and Palestine: There will be a candlelight vigil on Tuesday, November 14, 2023, 4:30 p.m., at The Lantern on Barnes Road. At this time of war in Israel and Palestine, you are invited to gather in a spirit of love and compassion to stand in solidarity with the suffering people in Israel and Palestine and to send positive energy of peace to them. For more information phone 709 725- 4680 or email [email protected]
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Pentecost 25, St. Margaret's Boat Launch, November 19, 2023 @11am: BAS/HE
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources