Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Advent Bible Study: If you are interested in attending an Advent Bible Study beginning on Wednesday, November 29 at 10:30 a.m. and continuing until Wednesday, December 20, please add your name to the list at the entrance of the church, email [email protected] or call the office at 709-368-5693.
- Sunday Services at 8:30 a.m.: Next Sunday, November 26, we are resuming our 8:30 a.m. service. These services will be from the Book of Common Prayer. They will be held every second Sunday, and most will coincide with Ascension Café Sunday. Please refer to your Chimes to confirm which Sundays. All are welcome to attend.
- St. Margaret’s Boat: Today we are launching St. Margaret’s Boat! This year, we are collecting items for Thrive. Thrive’s vision is meeting vulnerable individuals where they are, helping them go where they want to go, and supporting them to be who they want to be. Their mission is to assist vulnerable individuals achieve their full potential and enhance the capacity of social serving agencies. Thrive was established in 2001 and is part of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Community Youth Networks (CYNs). The CYNs were established to provide services and support to resilient youth 12 – 18 years of age who live in poverty and have limited access to mainstream programs and services. The items they are requesting are personal care items such as shampoo, deodorant, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes, feminine products, and men’s and women’s underwear (sizes s to plus). There is no need to wrap your donations. Please ensure that your items are dropped off by Sunday, December 17, as they will be presented to a representative of Thrive at the 11 a.m. service on that day.
- Afternoon Card Game: We will have our regular Afternoon Card Game on Monday, November 20 at 2 p.m. Cost is $6 per person. Please bring your own cards and baskets. All are welcome to join the fun!
- Sunday is the Last Day to Buy Tickets to the Fall Card Game and Luncheon: On Saturday, November 25 we are having a Fall Card Game and Lunch with soup and sandwiches. Lunch will be prepared by members of the Ascension. The cost is $10 for lunch and $5 for the card game. Please feel free to attend the luncheon only or the card game only if that is your preference. Lunch will be served at 12 noon and the card game will begin at 2 p.m. We will have a table with ladies’ accessories, craft goods, baked goods, and preserves for sale. Donations of preserves, homemade baked goods and homemade items are gratefully accepted. Tickets are available after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday or from the office Monday to Friday from 9 to noon. The deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, November 19.
- Breakfast with Santa: On Saturday, December 9, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., we are having Breakfast with Santa. Breakfast will include eggs, bacon, bologna, pancakes, toast, juice, tea, and coffee. Breakfast will be served from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and following this, there will be a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus for the kids from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The cost is $10 per adult and $5 for children 12 and under. Tickets will be available after the 11 a.m. service or from the office Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, December 3.
- Youth Group: On Friday, November 24, the Youth Group will meet at the Church of the Good Shepherd from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Youth from ages 12 and up are invited to attend. See you there!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, November 22. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Thank You: Our Cold Plate Fundraiser was a success! Thanks once again to all who helped in any way. We raised $2,591, which will be used to support our many ministries.
- All Saints Anglican Church: Coastal Sounds Choir Association are thrilled to announce, A Celtic Christmas, choral concert and 10th anniversary Cantata, on Sunday Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. at All Saints Anglican Church, Foxtrap. Special guests are Matthew Byrne and local members of NLESD. Tickets are $25 and are available on our website: www.coastalsoundschoir.com Donations for the Community Food Sharing Association greatly appreciated.
- Café of Memories: Join Lodge Westmoorland, in partnership with the Alzheimer Society, as they host an afternoon of entertainment and refreshments for people living with dementia and their care partners. Wednesday, December 5 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Freemasons’ Hall, 115 Mount Carson Avenue, Mt. Pearl. This event is free of charge, but you must call to register as space is limited. Please call 709-576-0608 or email [email protected] to register.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Reign of Christ, November 26, 2023 @8:30am (BCP/HC), @ 11:00am (BAS/HE)
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources