Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- The next Ascension Café is on Sunday, December 10. All are welcome to join in this time of fellowship.
- Parish Network Visitors – Volunteers needed: Archdeacon Nancy and the PNV team are seeking volunteers. Volunteers are asked to reach out, via telephone, once or twice a month to parishioners in the parish who are unable to attend weekly worship, This would entail possibly 5 to 6 calls at a time. No in-person visitation required. If you are interested in this ministry, please add your name, and contact information to the sign-up sheet at the entrance of the church or contact the office at 709-368-5693.
- Christmas Hamper Project: Again this year, our parish will help families in need at Christmas by providing hampers. They will include groceries for Christmas dinner, as well as gifts for the children in the family. Families can register to receive a hamper by calling the church office at 709 368-5693. If you, or your organization, would like to provide a hamper for a family, please contact Nickie Butler at 709 728-6931 or the church office and leave your name and number. We will contact you with the details of the family you will be matched with. The deadline for donations is Sunday, December 10. If you would like to make a monetary donation for the Hamper Project, you can do so in your regular givings or via e-transfer using the email address [email protected]. Please be sure to indicate that your donation is for the Christmas Hamper Fund. We thank you for your support! Christmas Hamper Team –Karen Anthony, Nickie Butler, Kathy MacPherson
- Advent Packages: Your advent packages, including your church envelopes for 2024, are available for pick up at the entrance of the church.. If you can deliver any packages to anyone in the parish, we would be most appreciative. Thanks so much!
- Envelope Numbers: Some of you may have noticed that your church envelope numbers have changed. In an effort to reduce waste and save money, we are ordering less envelopes. For example, anyone with a number higher than 300 has received a new number.
- Choir Appreciation: This Sunday, we recognize our Choir members, past and present. Music is a very integral part of our church service, and we are blessed to have such a devoted and talented group of singers. Included with your Chimes is an insert outlining the many members and years of service.
- Church Calendars: We have ordered the 2024 church calendars; however, the shipper has informed us that they will be late receiving them. It will be in December, or possible early January, before we receive them here at the church. Once we are in possession of them, we will let you know. Thanks.
- Thank You: Thank you, once again, to all who contributed to the success of our Fall Luncheon and Card Game. We raised $2,257!
- St. Margaret’s Boat: The boat has launched! This year, we are collecting items for Thrive. The items they are requesting are personal care items such as shampoo, deodorant, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes, feminine products, and men’s and women’s underwear (sizes s to plus). There is no need to wrap your donations. Please ensure that your items are dropped off by Sunday, December 17, as they will be presented to a representative of Thrive at the 11 a.m. service on that day.
- Youth Group: On Friday, December 8, the Youth Group will meet at the Church of the Good Shepherd from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Youth from ages 12 and up are invited to attend. See you there!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, December 6. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- This Sunday is the last opportunity to purchase Breakfast with Santa tickets: On Saturday, December 9 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., we are having Breakfast with Santa. It will be served from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and following this, there will be a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus for the kids from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The cost is $10 per adult and $5 for children 12 and under. Deadline to purchase tickets is Sunday, December 3.
- Coping with the Holidays: Eastern Health, Bereavement Services team is hosting sessions on Coping with the Holidays on Wednesday, December 6 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. and Thursday, December 7 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. They will also host a virtual (Zoom) meeting on Monday, December 11 from 7 – 8:30 p.m. For more information, please email [email protected].
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Café of Memories: Join Lodge Westmorland, in partnership with the Alzheimer Society, as they host an afternoon of entertainment and refreshments for people living with dementia and their care partners. It takes place on Tuesday, December 5 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Freemasons’ Hall, 115 Mount Carson Avenue, Mt. Pearl. This event is free of charge, but you must call to register as space is limited. Please call 709-576-0608 or email [email protected] to register.
- Topsail United Church Coffee Group will be holding a Christmas Bake and Craft Sale on Saturday December 9 from 10 until 1 p.m. in the Church Hall. All are welcome.
- Advent II, December 10, 2023 @11:00am (BAS/HE)
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources