Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Vestry Meeting: The next meeting of Vestry will be held on Thursday, December 14 at 7 p.m. here at the Parish.
- Office Closure during Christmas: The office will be closed for the Christmas break from Monday, December 25 to Tuesday, January 2, 2024.
- Advent Packages: Your advent packages, including your church envelopes for 2024, are available for pick up at the entrance of the church. If you can deliver any packages to anyone in the parish, we would be most appreciative. Thanks so much!
- The Ways and Means Committee is one of our hard-working teams that make so many events possible: Monthly card games, Fall Luncheon and Card Party, Christmas Pudding Sale, Christmas Dinner, Breakfast with Santa, Ascension Café, among just a few. Without their dedication, none of these would be possible so we say ‘thank you’!
- We would also like to thank Brenda and Randy Spurrell who made out Auditorium look like new again. Brenda and Randy donated the paint and supplies, as well as the labour, to give our Auditorium a much-needed face lift. The finished product is beautiful!
- We would like to express our sincere thanks to the many groups working within the parish, from greeters to Altar Guild, and everything in between. Every effort contributes to the smooth operation of the Parish and its many ministries.
- Readers for the Candle Lighting Ceremony: Reverend Nancy is seeking readers for the Candle Lighting Ceremony for the following services: December 17 and our Christmas Eve services at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. If you are interested in participating in the Candle Lighting Ceremony at any of these services, please contact the office at 709-368-5693. Thank you.
- Christmas Hamper Project: If you are in need of a Christmas food/toy hamper, please call the church office at 709 368-5693. If you, or your organization, would like to provide a hamper for a family, please contact Nickie Butler at 709 728-6931 or the church office and leave your name and number. The Advent tree is up at the entrance of the church. If you would like to help, please take a tag or two and return the named item/items by December 17 at noon. We also gratefully accept monetary donations in your regular givings or via e-transfer using the email address [email protected]. We thank you for your support! Christmas Hamper Team –Karen Anthony, Nickie Butler, Kathy MacPherson
- Christmas Tree Lighting Carol Sing: Don’t forget our Annual Christmas Tree Lighting and Carol Sing will take place next Sunday, December 17 at 6:30 p.m. in our parking lot. Come along and bring your family and friends for an evening of beautiful carol singing. If you would like a bulb lit in memory/honour of someone, the contributor forms are due in today, Sunday, December 10. We will have hot chocolate available after the sing-along. We hope to see you there!
- St. Margaret’s Boat: We need your help! You have one more week to bring in your items for Thrive. Let’s work together to sink the boat! The items Thrive are requesting are personal care items. There is no need to wrap your donations. Please ensure that your items are dropped off by Sunday, December 17, as they will be presented to a representative of Thrive at the 11 a.m. service on that day.
- Tax Receipts for 2023: If you would like your donations to be included on your 2023 tax receipt, they must be received by 12 noon on December 31, 2023. They can be dropped in the Sunday collection, or they can be put in the mailbox on the front steps as this mailbox is monitored daily. Any givings received after this date will be included on the next tax year’s receipt. Thank you for your generous donations which help serve our many ministries.
- Parish Network Visitors – Volunteers needed: Archdeacon Nancy and the PNV team are seeking volunteers. Volunteers are asked to reach out, via telephone once or twice a month, to parishioners in the parish who are unable to attend weekly worship. This would entail possibly 5 to 6 calls at a time. No in-person visitation required. If you are interested in this ministry, please add your name and contact information to the sign-up sheet at the entrance of the church or contact the office at 709-368-5693.
- Church Calendars: We have ordered the 2024 church calendars however we have not yet received them. We will let you know as soon as we are in possession of them. Thank you.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: Please remember those in need! When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Envelope Numbers: Some of you may have noticed that your church envelope numbers have changed. In an effort to reduce waste and save money, we are ordering less envelopes. For example, anyone with a previous number higher than 300 has received a new number this year.
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, December 20. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by, and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Advent III, December 17, 2023 @ 11:00am (BAS/HE)
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources