Feast of the Epiphany
Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Our first 8:30 a.m. BCP service in January will be on January 21, 2024. This service will be followed by Ascension Café at 9:30 a.m.
- Christmas Memorials: If you are interested in honouring a loved one in remembrance in our Christmas Memorial Booklet, information and donations will be accepted up to January 14, 2024. Please provide your name, envelope number, and the name(s) of the honoree. If you lit a bulb at our Christmas Tree Lighting and Carol Sing, your loved one’s name has been added to the Memorial Booklet. Booklets will be available by January 28, 2024.
- Thank You from Reverend Nancy: I wish to extend a sincere thank you to all who sent cards and gifts for my family and I, as we celebrated our first Christmas together with me as your Priest-in-Charge. Your thoughtfulness and generosity were very much appreciated. From my family and I, we wish you all a very Happy New Year, and look forward with great anticipation to see what the Lord has in store for us in 2024 and beyond.
- Afternoon Card Party: We have two afternoon card parties scheduled. The dates are Monday, January 15, and Monday, February 12. Card games will begin at 2 p.m. and the cost is $6 per person. Hope to see you there!
- Parish Network Visitors: We are still looking for volunteers. To date, we have only had two people respond. There are no in-home visits required, only phone calls to parishioners once or twice a month. If you are interested in this ministry, please sign up at the entrance of the church or contact the office. Thank you.
- Confirmation: The next Confirmation preparation class will be on Sunday, January 28 at 2 p.m. Confirmation candidates are reminded to make every effort to attend regular Sunday service.
- Retired Clergy Meetings: At the Ascension, we are pleased to welcome the retired clergy of the diocese as they gather for their monthly meeting and eucharist, followed by a cup of tea. The clergy will meet here every third Tuesday of the month.
- Bishop’s Writings: If you would like a copy of the Bishop’s New Year’s message, they are located at the entrance of the church. You will also find it at anglicanenl.net if you prefer to read it on-line.
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, January 10. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Church Envelopes: Please remember to pick up your church envelopes for 2024 at the entrance of the church. If you can deliver any packages to anyone in the parish, we would be most appreciative. Thanks so much!
- Change of Address for Tax Receipts: If you have had a change of address during the year, please notify the church office so your tax receipts are printed with the correct information. You can email this information to [email protected] or you may leave a message at 709 368-5693. Thank you.
- Diocesan Anglican Men’s Association: There will be a service and dinner meeting of DAMA at St. Philp’s Anglican Church on Sunday, January 28, 2024. Dinner is at 5:00 p.m. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be followed by a service at 7:00 p.m. Bishop Sam Rose will be the guest speaker. This is open to all men of the diocese. If you are interested in attending, please RSVP by January 25, 2024, to Gary King at 709-691-3902 or Harvey Hiscock at 709-697-5280.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: The bins for food collection are empty! With food insecurity on the rise, we ask you to please remember those in need. When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Church Calendars: The Church calendars have arrived! They are $6 each and available for purchase after the 11 a.m. service each Sunday.
- Epiphany II, January 14, 2024 @ 11:00am; Welsh Eucharist
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources