Ministry & Mission at the Ascension
- Bishop’s Writings: If you would like to read the bishop’s Lenten letter, you may do so by following the link https://anglicanenl.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Bishops-Lenten-Letter-2024.pdf.
- Poinsettias: Following the 11 am service today, the remaining Christmas poinsettias are free for the taking. Please help yourself when they are removed from the chancel.
- Set Sail: Charting the Course for Christ’s Church: In November of 2022, Bishop Sam kicked off a strategic planning process and outlined his vision for the Diocese – for us to deepen relationships, engage in transforming discipleship, renew our stewardship efforts and engage in partnerships. In 2024, parishes will be asked to prioritize the first two “ships” of the vision (Deepening Relationships and Transforming Discipleship) so that individuals can continue to grow and develop who they are as faithful Anglicans. With that foundation firmly rooted, yet always evolving, goals for 2025 will address the actions of the last two “ships” of the vision (Renewing Stewardship and Engaging Partnerships). For more detailed information, please follow the link. https://anglicanenl.net/set-sail-strategic-plan/. Each of us has a role to play in realizing the full potential of Christ’s Church in the Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador. You can all contribute towards the outcomes envisioned by these goals. This is our work, together. All our parishes have been tasked to identify a Set Sail leadership team led by a ‘Navigator’. While the Set Sail leadership team in each Archdeaconry will provide guidance for the process, Navigators can be used in parishes to support congregational activities. These activities will include identifying specific goals to align with the high-level goals, planning for activities, taking action to achieve goals, and reporting results. It will be the role of the Navigators to:
- Communicate updates and information between the congregation or parish and the Diocesan Set Sail leadership team about the process.
- Work with the Vestry of the congregation or parish to set specific goals that align with the high-level goals.
- Ensure that steps are taken within the congregation or parish to plan activities and take action. (It is not the responsibility of the Navigators to do the work themselves, but rather to support the process. It is a Vestry responsibility to ensure that actions are planned and executed to achieve the specific goals.) Report results of activities back to the Diocesan Set Sail leadership team and more broadly.
- If you feel called to work with Archdeacon Nancy to help our parish fully engage in this Diocesan Strategic Plan, please contact her in person, via email, or on the phone.
- World Day of Prayer Service: The service this year is being held on Friday, March 1 at 7:00 p.m. at Our Lady of Families Church on Ashford Drive (formerly St. Peter’s). The service is open to everyone, and we encourage you to attend.
- Scents in Church: Our church is a scent-free zone, and we ask that you refrain from wearing scented products while attending. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Potluck Supper: On Thursday, February 22, we are hosting a potluck supper with live entertainment provided by Jacobs Passage. We ask that you take a tag from the board at the entrance of the church and prepare that dish to bring along. Supper will be at 6 p.m. All are invited to join in this time of fellowship. Hope to see you there!
- Community Supper Take-out Meal: This is a hot, free take-out meal. The meal will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Richard Nolan Drive, on Wednesday, February 21, 2024. If you, or someone you know, could use a hot meal, please come by and pick one up. Meals will be available from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Ocean Ranger Memorial Prayer Service: Gonzaga High School will be holding its annual Ocean Ranger Memorial Prayer Service to remember those who lost their lives in the tragedy 42 years ago. The service will be held on Thursday, February 15, 2024, at 1:00 p.m. at the Basilica of St. John the Baptist.
- Church Givings: If you have offerings for the church, you may:
- drop them off at the drop box on the front steps (to the right). This mailbox is monitored regularly;
- e-transfer to [email protected]. Be sure to indicate where you would like your donation allocated;
- contact the office to sign up for preauthorized givings. Church number is 368-5693 or email [email protected].
- If you have givings at home and you are unable to bring them to the church, please let us know and we will arrange to have them picked up.
- Food Bank: The bins for food collection are empty! With food insecurity on the rise, we ask you to please remember those in need. When you are picking up your groceries, please add an item or two and drop it in the food bank box at the entrance of the church. Thank you to all parishioners who have contributed to the food bank. Items are much needed and greatly appreciated!
- Ash Wednesday: Wednesday, February 11, 2024 @ 7:00pm (BAS/HE Imposition of Ashes)
- Lent 1: Sunday, February 18, 2024 @ 8:30am (BCP/HC)
- Lent 1: Sunday, February 18, 2024 @ 11:00am (BAS/HE)
Anglian Church of Canada One Licence #733242-A Book of Alternative Services The Taizé Community Book of Common Praise GIA Publications Wee Worship Book The Iona Community CCLI License # 1733318Resources for Chimes from the above sources