They took palm branches and went out to meet Him, shouting, "Hosanna!" Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.Matthew 21:9
Sunday, April 5, is Palm Sunday!
- How has your week been? I trust you have felt God's Presence and that He has been helping you over the rough spots. Just letting you know that during this outbreak of COVID-19, the clergy will be reaching out to all parishioners. They are doing their best to contact everyone; however, our parish list is in need of an update. If you have not received a call or e-mail by now, please e-mail your updated contact information to [email protected].
- In reference to clergy contact, if you, when reaching out to family, friends, and neighbors, know of anyone who is struggling during this difficult time, please let Rev'd David or Rev'd Lynn know.
- If you have items purchased for the Blessing Bags, please hold them and we will collect at a later date, There will indeed be a celebration service and a dedication for the Blessing Bags at a future time. Thank you.
- Some of you have been inquiring as to what to do about your regular church giving. There are a few ways that you can attend to giving to the parish ministry: use your church envelopes and drop them in the mailbox at the main entrance of the church, you can set up pre-authorized givings by contacting the church office, or you can sign up to make donations to Canada Helps.
- This Sunday at 11 a.m. the Parishes of St. Michael and All Angels, St. Mary the Virgin, the Good Shepherd, and the Ascension are hosting morning prayer from the Book of Alternative Services. Come and join us at lent2020.ca. You do not need to be on Facebook to view the live service This week's worship will also be featured on VOWR at 7 p.m.
- Food First NL works with communities in Newfoundland and Labrador to ensure everyone has access to affordable, healthy, and culturally appropriate food. Please visit the website at foodfirstnl.ca/covid19 to find updates to NL Community Food Program.
- If you want to join us in making a difference, here is another avenue you may choose: We're raising money to benefit Foodbanks in Mount Pearl during the Covid-19 Pandemic. From April 1 to June 30, 2020, the Parish of the Ascension will be receiving money on behalf of all the congregations in Mount Pearl for distribution to the three Mount Pearl Foodbanks. All donations will help make an impact. The City of Mount Pearl will match funds up to the first $5,000. Thanks in advance for your contribution to this cause that means so much to the clergy and people of the Ministerial of Mount Pearl. If you would like to help, please log in to Mount Pearl Foodbanks Fundraiser organized by David Burrows and follow the prompts to make a donation. Thank you so very much!
- A couple of days ago I sent an email regarding the Virtual Palm Sunday Procession on Sunday, April 5. The deadline for you to be part of this procession in the way that was outlined to you in that email was Thursday, April 2. Make sure you tune in during that time to participate virtually.
- Here is an invitation for younger parishioners, families, and those who are young at heart: Please join us as we journey towards Easter with a series of Family Story Times for Holy Week. Following a Godly Play format, we will meet online at 7 p.m. for a half-hour of prayer and stories to help us prepare for the mystery of Easter. We will be lighting a Christ Candle to open each gathering and invite you to have a candle ready to light along with us so that you can transfer a little of the experience into your own home. Here are the stories you can expect:
- Sunday, April 5 .......................... the story of Palm Sunday,
- Monday, April 6 ......................... the early years of Christ's life,
- Tuesday, April 7 ........................ the latter years of Christ's life,
- Wednesday, April 8 ................... the mystery of Easter.
- Let us journey together as a church family into the joy of this holy season!
- The need for blood has not stopped for patients who rely on blood for their ongoing health treatments due to COVID-19. You can book an appointment at blood.ca, call 1-888-236-6283, or download the app "GiveBlood." The office hours for St. John's Centre at 7 Wicklow Street, St. John's are:
- Tuesday & Wednesday................... 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Thursday ........................................ 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Friday ............................................. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Saturday ........................................10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Please be assured that these donation events are at places that are following all the recommended guidelines from the federal and provincial governments. All things possible are being carefully done to keep all safe.
- Gethsemane Prayer Watch: After the Last Supper on Maundy Thursday, Jesus took his disciples with him to the Garden of Gethsemane and told them to watch and pray with him. As they struggled to stay away, he wrestled in spirit with the knowledge of his coming betrayal and death. This Maundy Thursday, we invite you to watch and pray as well. Beginning at 8 p.m., there will be a prayer watch online, live-streamed to our Facebook page. The intention is to keep the Watch all through the night until the diocesan Good Friday liturgy from the Cathedral, but this will depend on whether people sign up for 'the silent hours of the night.' There is a special webpage set up for people to sign in their names and the time they would like to volunteer. Please go to the following website for further information and directions: michaelmas.ca/gethsemane.
- Regarding Easter Services, please go to lent2020.ca to view the list of live-streamed services available with the Bishop and the diocese, including Maundy Thursday, Good Friday Children's Liturgy and noon liturgy, and Easter Day. A family Easter Vigil is available on this website for you to experience in your own home.
May God Bless you all and keep you safe,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)