When people think of Springtime, they often think of renewal, rejuvenation, rebirth, and resurrection. Actually many need very little proof of the Resurrection other than the flowers and trees that spring forth during this season. May the Resurrection joy we have recently experienced this Easter lift us from the loneliness and fear that the pandemic tends to engender to feelings of hope, love, and a deeper relationship with God.
- I trust that you were able to tune in to the services on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday. If for whatever reason, you were not able to be part of these services, they have been posted on the new Easter website at easter2020.ca so you can avail of them at any time. You may also like to read Rev'd David's Easter Reflections on that same site.
- Using the new web address (easter2020.ca) you will be able to join the Parishes of St. Michael and All Angels, St. Mary the Virgin, the Good Shepherd, and the Ascension this Sunday, April 19, for Morning Prayer from the Wee Worship Book - Liturgy D at 11 a.m. You do not need to be on Facebook to view the live service.
- Many of you may not have been able to drop off your filled Blessing Bags (the Lenten project to help The Gathering Place), and also those that were dropped off cannot be taken to The Gathering Place due to the requirement for everyone to remain at home. However, the project is being extended until we are able to return to our parish churches. Then there will be a special time when the Bags will be taken to The Gathering Place. The contents of these bags are needed all the time. Thanks for your support for this worthy cause.
- Just a reminder - the deadline for the memoriam donations is extended to Sunday, April 26. As mentioned before, you can drop them in the mailbox located at the front entrance of the church. The mailslot is at the top of the steps to the right. The booklet will be published online on May 3. Thank you once again for your support. Don't forget to include your name, your envelope number, and the name/names of your loved ones who have departed.
- During this somewhat stressful situation, in the midst of the Easter Season, there are many reminders that our hope, our love, and our capacity for care, are not lost in the COVID-19 challenges that we face. Please feel free to submit a photo/video and a couple of short sentences that will highlight how you are living out your faith in this time. Send these to [email protected]. One or two stories will be shared in the electronic chimes each week.
- I am sure you are delighted to know that we have a new website for the Church of the Ascension which will be launched Sunday, April 19, 2020. There will still be certain parts of the website that are under review/construction due to limited resources during the pandemic. We can now be found at ascensionnl.ca. Visit that address for up-to-date information on church activities.
- We must make sure we uplift each other during this time. Please make it a point to check on your family, friends, and neighbours periodically. If you, or anyone you know, is struggling at this stressful time, please let Rev'd David or Rev'd Lynn know.
- Just reminding you that the Ministerial of Mount Pearl is raising money to benefit foodbanks in Mount Pearl during the COVID-19 pandemic. From now until June 30, 2020, the Parish of the Ascension will be receiving money on behalf of all the congregations in Mount Pearl for distribution to the three Mount Pearl Foodbanks. All donations will make an impact. The City of Mount Pearl will match funds up to the first $5,000. If you would like to help, please log in to gofundme.com and search Parish of the Ascension. Follow the prompts to make a donation. Thanks in advance for your contribution to this very important cause.
- During this Pandemic the clergy is endeavoring to reach all parishioners. However, the parish list may be in need of an update. If you know of someone who has not received a call or an email since the church closure, would you please encourage them to call the church office (368-5693) to give their contact information.
- Wednesday, April 22 is Earth Day. On that day from 1 to 2 p.m. you can join Father Mark Nichols for an online (ZOOM) creation care seminar: Climate Action for Anglicans. Our collective decisions we make today will determine what kind of world we leave to our children and grandchildren - for better or for worse. In this seminar, we will be looking at how we should live out the final promise of our baptismal covenant in a way that will make the changes necessary to ensure an inhabitable planet for those who come after us. Registration is required via email to [email protected] no later than Monday, April 20, 2020.
- Easter Greetings are extended to all from the senior choir and the organist of the Ascension. To quote - 'It has been a different Lent, Holy Week, and Easter Season for us, not singing our wonderful hymns, psalms, and special anthems. However, we know that we will return to sing once again in the near future and we hope that all is well with our church family. Our choir family is doing well and keeping in touch weekly. We are looking forward to singing from the choir pews soon.'
- Take care - stay safe.
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)