During Thanksgiving this year, given the changes and challenges presented by COVID-19, I trust we all were more focused on being thankful for things that we normally took for granted - personal health, the church community, neighborhood thoughtfulness, the beauty of creation..... Maybe the rereading of Rev'd David's Weekly Word will help us focus on what is really important in our day to day living, and help to reassure us of God's presence always even in the most turbulent times in our lives.
- Each Sunday there is a service at the Church of the Ascension at 11 a.m. You all know about the screening questionnaire and the guidelines for entering the church, but don't forget to let the office know by Wednesday of each week if you plan to attend the service on Sunday.
- 'Thursdays in Black' will go ahead this week hosted by Rev'd David. This week's guest will be The Venerable Julie Brace, Archdeacon of Labrador. Please join them at noon tomorrow on our parish Facebook live at facebook.com/ParishoftheAscension/live.
- November is only a few weeks away, and once again we will be having our All Souls' Service on November 2. If you would like to remember your loved ones and have their names read during the service, please e-mail the names to the office at [email protected] or call the office (368-5693) and leave a message. Pre-registration is required to attend this service and the deadline for the registration is Wednesday, October 28.
- Don't forget the CLB Friday Dinner Take-out/Pick up continues, as well as the sale of Halloween Chips and Cheesies. The CLB would appreciate your support. Please check my enews from last week or last Sunday's Chimes to refresh your memory on how to enjoy one or two of these dinners, as well as how to make a purchase of the chips and cheesies.
- Wednesday morning 10 a.m. prayers continue - prayers that you can be part of through our YouTube channel at youtu.be/iet_6vtCDwM or call the office for a Zoom link.
- As you know our overall parish revenue is down by $20,000 from last year. This is a reason for great concern which has prompted the Vestry to appoint an Ad-Hoc Team to look at solutions to offset the loss of income from fundraisers caused by the Pandemic. The team is proposing a 3-part appeal to help with this concern. Every October in previous years there has been the Thanksgiving Jiggs Dinner. However, since that is impossible, we are hoping the parishioners will consider donating the amount they would have spent on Thanksgiving events. Great thanks to all who are able to contribute in this way. (There is a Thanksgiving envelope in your yearly package if you care to use that for your donation.)
- For those who have not been to the office to pick up daily devotional books or prayer books yet, and are still not familiar how to go about entering the side entrance to the church, there is a video on our parish Facebook where you will see Rev'd David taking you through the necessary steps to enter the church building. If you do need to stop by, please contact the office first by email at [email protected] or call 368-5693 during the weekdays from 9 to noon.
- A reminder also that donations for the 'Ride for Refuge' will be gratefully accepted up to October 31. You can make cheques payable to Parish of the Ascension PWRDF - Ride for Refuge. The total to date is $5000 with great thanks to all those who supported the Ride.
- These times are stressful times for many with the ongoing of the restrictions caused by the pandemic as well as the sadness created by the sudden death of our dear Bishop. If you do not feel safe enough to return to church for public worship, yet you would like to receive the sacrament at your home, Rev'd David and Rev'd Courage have expanded their home communicant list and are quite willing to have a home communion with you. Maybe you would just like a physically distanced visit from one of the clergy at this time - they will make that happen also. Just call the office and Peggy will make the arrangements for you. (Of course, the home communion will be in accordance with the Provincial and Diocesan guidelines for your safety and care.)
May you feel God's presence today and every day,
Jean (On behalf of Ascension)