Next Sunday, November 29, is the first Sunday in Advent. Each Advent Sunday is symbolized in the lighting of a specific candle. The first candle, the candle of HOPE, is sometimes called the Prophet's Candle, since the prophets of the Old Testament, especially Isaiah, waited in hope for the Messiah. Hope to all of us is like a light shining in a dark place. As we look at this candle, we too celebrate the hope we have in the coming of Jesus to us, to the community, and to the world.
- Our preparation for Christmas during the Advent Season will be different this year due to COVID 19. However, sessions have been planned involving contemplation, listening, guided meditation, sacred scripture, etc. These sessions are from 7 to 8:15 p.m. on Mondays: November 23, November 30, and December 7, and will be led by Dr. Gerard Whitty and Ms Marie Wall. You can register for this free series by e-mailing [email protected]. Then you will be provided a link for the on-line sessions. This is free and open to anyone who might be interested in preparing themselves to go a bit spirituality deeper in the seasons of Advent, Christmas and Epiphany in Covid-19.
- Public Worship still continues each Sunday morning at 11 a.m. with the guidelines still in effect. Please note that for those returning to church since COVID the screening questionnaire must be completed, and for those who have already completed the questionnaire, you must remember to register by Wednesday of each week if you plan to attend the service the following Sunday. For those who still have not been able to return or who are not ready to do so, the worship service is live-streamed from the church each Sunday.
- To view live-streamed services, log in to the new church website ascensionnl.ca and go to the Social Media tab. Then click on the Facebook tab which will link you directly with the service once it has begun on Sunday. (You do not have to have a Facebook account to view the service.)
- Just a reminder once again, that there will be morning prayer from the Chapel at 9 a.m. daily which incorporates daily prayer for the members of our Parish. Also, there are Wednesday Morning prayers at 10 a.m. which you can join with through our YouTube channel at youtu.be/fRyFzfWS8VY. The next Wednesday morning prayers will be tomorrow, November 25.
- If you would like to receive the sacrament at home, or if you would just like a physically distanced visit from Rev'd David or Rev'd Lynn, please call the office or contact the clergy via email.
- As every Christmas, there are families in need who would appreciate a Christmas Hamper. The hampers this year will consist solely of gift cards from Dominion, Sobeys, Colemans, or Walmart, due to the current COVID-19 situation. Recipients will be able to purchase their own groceries for their Christian celebrations. If you are able to support this project, please donate gift cards from the places specified, or contribute monetary donations. The monetary donations can be dropped off at the church or made at the church website at canadahelps.org/en/charities/parish-of-the-ascension-mount-pearl/ Gift cards can be dropped off at the church office during the week of December 7 to 11 between the hours of 9 and 1 p.m.
- If any of you would like to sponsor a family by providing a gift card to cover the full cost of the hamper, please contact the church office at 368-5693 and leave your name and number. You will be contacted with further details.
Thanks in anticipation of your support in this project.
- If any of you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, please take a pamphlet from either entrance of the church or from the church office. Simply fill one out, drop it into the office, and they will set you up. Thanks so much!
May God be with you during your Advent preparations,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)