Next Sunday, December 13, is the Third Sunday of Advent - represented by the candle of 'joy.'
Psalm 144:15 says ' Joyful indeed are those whose God is the Lord.' Apparently, it has been said that if we are joyful, we cannot hide it. It will shine in our eyes, in our look, and in our conversation.
Some important notices for you:
- Public worship still continues each Sunday at 11 a.m., while following the guidelines as have been written and told to you since the church reopened its doors for worship. Registration is still required and likewise the filling in of the COVID screening questionnaires for those who are returning to public worship at the church.
- Registration is now being accepted for the Christmas Services. There is a choice of three services: December 23 at 7 p.m., December 24 at 2 p.m. (Family Eucharist) and Holy Eucharist at 7 p.m.. The seats will be filled at a first come, first served basis so you will need to register as soon as possible. You can either register by emailing [email protected] or by calling the office at 368-5693. If this is your first time to attend the public worship since the church reopened, you will need to complete the COVID screening questionnaire, either on-line at ascensionnl.ca or by dropping by the church. Don't forget to indicate the service for which you are registering.
- In connection with registering, if you plan to attend Sunday service on December 27, the deadline for that service is Wednesday, December 23.
- Again, with respect to Sunday services, you can view it on line by going to the church's website at ascensionnl.ca, go to the Social Media tab, then to the Facebook tab, which will link you directly with the service once it has begun on Sunday. If you would rather view it at a later date, it is there for you to do so.
- Any donations/offerings that you want to have included on your income tax receipt for 2020 must be received at the church office by Thursday, December 31, at 12 noon. Thank you.
- If you plan to contribute to the Christmas Hamper project, the deadline to receive the gift cards is Friday, December 11. Please be sure to indicate the dollar value on the gift card. Thanks to all who have contributed or plan to contribute to this important cause.
- Your Advent packages (Advent letter, Advent folder, and 2021 Church envelopes) are available in the side foyer of the church. It would be great if you could also take those of your friends and/or neighbours at the same time to distribute to them. Thanks so much!
- Daily morning prayer still continues from the Chapel at 9 a.m. and incorporates prayer for members of the parish.
- Rev'd David or Rev'd Lynn is quite willing to have a physically distanced visit with you if you so desire, just call the office and Peggy will make the arrangements.\
- Please note the parish office hours during Christmas: the office will be closed from December 25 to December 30 inclusive. The office will be open on Thursday, December 31 from 9 until noon and will close again on Friday, January 1 for New Year's Day. Regular office hours will resume on Monday, January 4, 2021.
- Many people like giving a Christmas Memorial. If you would like to do that, just drop off the appropriate information and contribution at the church mailbox (located on the right side of the front steps of the church), or you can send it by regular mail to 58 Smallwood Drive, Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 1B1. Please submit this on or before Friday, December 18. These donations help support the ministry of the Parish.
- Thanks to all those who have supported the Parish to date by donating to the Pandemic Appeal. To date $4590 has been raised.
- Are you missing your Parish Family? Here is one way to help stay connected. As we continue to practice safe social distancing in church, the plan is to expand our weekly on-line worship experience. You can stay connected to your Parish Family by emailing some pictures of activities you are doing with your family. They could include preparing for Christmas, baking with the grandchildren, taking a stroll with the family pet, wrapping presents, etc. These pictures will be shown on Sundays just before the start of the service. So tune in early so you may glimpse some of your friends you haven't seen for a while. Pictures and a short caption can be emailed to the audio/visual team at [email protected]
May God continue to be with you on your Advent Journey,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)