Next Sunday, the fourth Sunday of Advent, the final candle will be lit marking the final week of prayer and penance as we wait for the birth of our Saviour. This final candle is often called the "Angel's Candle" symbolizing peace. It reminds us of the message of the angels: 'Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men."
Some important notices for you:
- Please note the parish office hours during the Christmas Season: the office will be closed from December 25 to December 30 inclusive. It will open on Thursday, December 31, from 9 until noon, and will close again on Friday, January 1, in observance of New Year's Day. Regular hours will resume on Monday, January 4, 2021.
- On that note, any donations that you want to be included on your 2020 income tax receipt must be received at the church office by Thursday, December 31, at noon.
- There are several Advent Packages remaining in the side foyer (Advent letter, Advent folder, church envelopes for 2021) waiting to be picked up. It would be great if you could pick yours up as well as those of your neighbours/friends.
- The Consecration and Installation of the Venerable Samuel Rose as the Bishop of the Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador will take place this evening, December 15, at 7 p.m. at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the attendance will be by invitation only. Your Chimes and the Parish Facebook give information about those who are invited. However, the Liturgy will be Livestreamed so you can watch it at home. The list of the sites where it will be Livestreamed are listed in your Chimes and on the Parish Facebook as well.
- Have you registered for Christmas service yet? Seats will be filed on a first come, first served basis so it is important for you to register soon. All information regarding the registration was given in last week's Ascension News, in your Chimes, and on the Parish's website at ascensionnl.ca
- In connection with registration for services, if you wish to attend the service on December 27, you must register by Wednesday, December 23; if you plan to attend the January 3 service, you will need to forward your request by email ([email protected]) or leave a message on the office phone on or before December 29.
- To date $5,195 has been raised for the Pandemic Appeal. Thank you to all who have donated to date, and it is hoped parishioners will continue to support our Parish in this effort.
- Morning Prayer continues from the Chapel at 9 a.m. daily (incorporating prayer for parish members). Likewise, Wednesday Prayers continue each Wednesday at 10 a.m. which you are able to join via YouTube at youtu.be/awIXEV8waVY.
- If you wish to give a Christmas memorial, please drop off the required information and contribution at the church mailbox located on the front steps of the church (right hand side), or send in regular mail to 58 Smallwood Drive, Mount Pearl, NL A1N 1B1 You must submit names on or before December 18.
- The Christmas Tree Lighting and Carol Sing will be held on Sunday, December 20 at 6:30 p.m. It will be a little different this year due to COVID restrictions - it will be an OUTSIDE EVENT on the parking lot. No registration is necessary! All may attend! You can social distance on the parking lot or remain in your vehicles. It will only be a short service with the focus on carol singing. There will be a receptacle available if you need to drop envelopes, donations, and/or Advent folders. Hope to see you there!
- Just a reminder that both Rev'd David and Rev'd Lynn are quite willing to have a physically distanced visit with you at your home, or a home communion if you so desire. Of course, all health guidelines will be followed. You can call the office or email the clergy to make arrangements.
- If you would like to set up pre-authorized givings, you can take a pamphlet from either church entrance or from the church office. All you have to do is fill one out, drop it into the office, and automated givings will be set up for you. Thanks so much!
- The on-line worship is aiming to keep you connected to your Parish Family. Now you can email pictures of activities you are doing with your family such as decorating for Christmas, baking with the grandchildren, etc to [email protected]. These pictures (along with captions) will be shown on Sundays just before the start of the service.
May God continue to walk with you during your Advent Journey,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)