Today, February 2, is known as ‘The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, (Candlemas). We are all familiar with of the story of Simeon and Anna’s joyful experience of seeing the Baby Jesus in the temple. May we in reflecting on the Temple event of long ago, and in celebrating Candlemas (the winter festival of birth and light) celebrate the ‘light of Christ within and among us.’
- This year on Sunday coming, February 7, in celebration of Candlemas, families are invited to bring a pillar candle from home to be blessed during the service, and then taken home to use during the remaining part of the Epiphany Season. If you plan to be watching on-line, you may like to gather with your candles at home so that together we may celebrate the light of Christ within our church family and within each of us.
- The Annual General Meeting of the Parish will be held immediately following the service on March 7, 2021 weather permitting. If the weather is not in our favour, it will be held March 21. There will be a year end review including the financial statements as well as verbal reports from the clergy and vestry. New members will be elected/appointed to the vestry. If you are not able to attend, it will be possible to gather via zoom if you so desire. You will receive more information regarding this later. (However, new members are needed for Vestry to assist with leadership and decision making. If this ministry interests you, please let the office know.)
- Of course, 11 a.m. services continue on Sundays with the COVID guidelines still in place. These services are also live streamed which you can view via the church website at www.ascensionnl.ca If the weather is not up to par, check with VOCM and /or VOWR for an announcement regarding cancellation. You may also check the church answering machine, or you may hear via enews.
- This is an important reminder! If you want to have your photo or one of your family member’s photo to be part of the celebration of birthdays/anniversaries in February during the Family Service, you need to submit your photo by the end of the first week of February. The address to submit the photos is [email protected]
- You can view the Christmas Memorial Booklet for 2020 on our parish website. There are also a few available for pickup at the front of the church.
- Lent in the Bag Project! This is a family-oriented activity to enjoy during the Lenten Season. The bag along with an instructional booklet describing the activities will be distributed February 21. When the project is completed you are asked to fill the bag with items for Emmaus House (more information re items later).
- The Pandemic Appeal is ongoing! Thanks for all the support given to date. Please let the Ad-hoc team know if you have ideas to share in planning more Appeal opportunities for 2021.
Of course, you all know that today, February 2, is also ‘Groundhog Day’ occurring at the midpoint between a solstice and an equinox. Just six weeks left until the official start of Spring!! Hopefully, the groundhog will not see his shadow, an indication that many believe means early springlike weather.
Have a nice week!
God Bless you all,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)