Sunday, May 16, is the Seventh Sunday after Easter and, also, we celebrate Ascension Sunday. Besides celebrating this special Christian event, it commemorates our church’s namesake. It is a blessing to have our Bishop with us as homilist and presider at this service.
(Ascension Day, which is today, is a floating holiday that falls forty days after Easter. Its focus is on the mission that Jesus gave his disciples at his leaving, a mission that is held for all Christians – to go forth and proclaim the Gospel of life and love, of hope and peace, by the witness of our lives, being true disciples everywhere we go.)
- On Saturday, May 15, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. the Bishop will preside at Confirmation for our eighteen candidates. The liturgies will be attended by the candidates and their families, as we are still bound by the limitations of public health due to the pandemic.
- The collecting of donations for the Gathering Place “Welcome Home” gift card project will continue until the end of June. Thanks to all who have donated gift cards or given monetary donations to date. It is much appreciated!
- The Confirmation Services on Saturday and the 11 o’clock Holy Eucharist on Sunday, May 16, will be livestreamed via the church’s website, the Parish’s facebook, and YouTube.
- Please remember if you plan to attend Sunday’s service, it is necessary to register as always.
- As you have heard by now, India is struggling with the current COVID outbreak. Of course, Canada faces its own challenges over COVID. However, India is also in dire need of help! Please remember them in your prayers. There are emergency relief envelopes at the entrance of the church if you would like to help with the PWRDF India Relief. Thank you so much!
- There are three key messages from vestry:
- Special thanks to all who contributed to the cold plate fundraiser including especially Scott Hillyer (Coffee Matters) and his team.
- There will be a parish on-line auction fundraiser from June 6 to June 13. They would be grateful to receive items for this auction which can be dropped off at the church office weekdays from 9 to noon. The deadline for donation of items is Friday, May 28. (Please give the approximate value of the item and your name and phone number.) Questions? Contact Lisa Fancey at [email protected] or call after 4 p.m. at 685-9408.
- Volunteers are needed for the parish’s Audio-Visual team to help with the livestreaming of services. Please contact Wayne Courage at [email protected] for details. This ministry is so important to our parishioners at home, as well as viewers in other parts of the province, the country, and even around the world. Please see further details regarding this vital ministry in your Chimes, and which can also be seen on the parish’s Facebook page.
- Any student out there seeking a summer job? The parish is looking for a person who may be interested in a summer student position. The applicant must be attending high school Level 1 – Level 3 and must be returning to school in September 2021. The position will pay minimum wage, and the hours/weeks are to be negotiated. Those interested must apply at the church office by May 21.
- As you know, the pandemic has significantly impacted the parish’s ability to engage in our traditional fundraising activities which have helped fund the various important ministries. The Pandemic Appeal was created as a means for people to contribute until we can return to pre-pandemic times. This Appeal is greatly needed to help the ministries to move forward including our new online worship ministry. Only $1090 has been raised by this means since January I of this year. Please continue to support this Appeal as you are able. Special thanks to all those who have contributed generously to date.
- Great thanks to those who gave of their time and effort on Saturday, May 8, to clean up the church grounds. You are to be commended for such a great job! Thanks so much!
- Don’t forget the CLB lunch specials on Fridays. Just call 722-1737 to pre-order. Orders must be received by Thursdays at 11 a.m. Free delivery for orders of five or more dinners!!
That’s it, folks, for this week!
God Bless you all!
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)