February 1-7 is ‘World Interfaith Harmony Week, a week that the UN General Assembly agreed upon unanimously to be recognized annually during the first week of February. The aim is to spread harmony and tolerance among followers of the three monotheistic faiths (Christianity, Judaism, Moslem) and all the world’s religions. This is the focus of this week in the worldwide celebrations that take place during this time when health guidelines allow.
It’s an invitation for all of us to seek to promote the common basis of ‘love of God and love of the neighbour’ among all people within our own community and beyond, not only this year, or this week, but every day.
- I presume you were all happy to know that in-person worship will resume on Sunday, February 6, at 11 a.m. If you were able to listen to the service last Sunday, Rev’d Lynn outlined the most important guidelines to follow with respect to the opening. They are also in your Chimes. Following the rules of the health department and the diocese, please note these most important guidelines:
- You must register for the service either via email or a phone call (368-5693).
- Household ‘bubbles’ or those in your ‘tight ten’ may sit together, but you must note this when you register.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- Assigned pews will change weekly - pew numbers and spacing have changed from previous services.
- Church will be well ventilated, so dress warmly.
- Anyone older than 12 must be fully vaccinated (or have a valid medical exemption) and must present their NL VaxPass when entering the church.
- The service will continue to be on-line and will be recorded so you will be able to view it at a later time on the parish’s Facebook page or our YouTube channel.
- Are you or someone you know in need of a free take-out meal? If so, one will be served from the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Wednesday, February 9, from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Covid protocols will be observed!!
- The church office has reopened as of Monday, January 31, to accept registration for services. This opening is restricted to absolutely necessary visits. In case of a pastoral emergency, you may contact Rev’d Lynn at 682-8500, or if it is not an urgent matter, please leave a message on the office phone and someone will get back to you.
Have a great week! Stay warm and stay safe!
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)