Tomorrow, May 26, is Ascension Day, which always falls forty days after Easter. As Christians, we believe Jesus died on the cross, rose from the dead three days later, and spent the next forty days teaching his followers. Then, according to Luke, on the fortieth day “…lifting up his hands, he blessed them,… and while he blessed them, he departed from them, and ascended into heaven…”
On Sunday, May 29, we will celebrate this special event, as well as commemorate our church’s namesake. In reflecting on the Ascension, the mission that Jesus gave his disciples at his leaving is a mission that is held for all Christians – to go forth and proclaim the Gospel of life and love, of hope and peace – being true disciples wherever we go.
- Our 11 a.m. services continue on Sundays in person as well as on-line. Many people are grateful that because it is on the Parish’s facebook page, they can view it at a later time/date if it is not possible for them to view it that morning.
- Once again the Cemetery Services will be held in July. For Kenmount Road Cemetery, the Service will take place on Wednesday, July 13, at 7 p.m.. If the weather is not suitable, it will be changed to Thursday evening at 7 p.m. Should both of these times not work, it will be moved to the Cathedral at 7:45 p.m. on Thursday. For Forest Road Cemetery, the Service will take place on Wednesday, July 20, at 7 p.m. If the weather is not suitable, it will be changed to Thursday evening at 7 p.m. Should the weather be inclement at that time, it will be moved to St. Augustine’s church at 7:45 p.m. on Thursday. Check VOWR early afternoon on those dates for confirmation of the services.
- I guess those people who plan to help with the spring clean-up are ready and anxious to get started at 2 p.m. this afternoon. If this isn’t a good time for you, you are given a second chance to help from 7 to 9 this evening. Thanks, in anticipation of a great turnout for the job – as the old adage goes, many hands make light work.
- Are you looking forward to the Memorial Gospel/Hymn Sing? The date is Sunday, July 10, at 6:30 p.m. from the steps of the church and on the parking lot. If it’s a nice sunny evening, you may like to bring a chair and sit outside of your vehicle. Of course, you know that you can complete the form in the Chimes and donate in memorial or thanksgiving if you like, but please return it by June 19.
- For our summer outreach program, the focus is going to be on feeding the hungry. We are accepting items for the local food bank throughout the summer. So please remember to pick up a couple items when you are picking up your own groceries each week. There is a food bank box at each entrance to the church. Thanks so much!
- The next free community take-out meal for those in need will be on Wednesday, June 1. Meals can be picked up from 5 to 6:30 p.m. on that date at the entrance to the Church of the Good Shepherd.
- If you would like an opportunity to work at the church this summer, the parish is hoping to employ a summer student! You must not linger if this is your plan, as the deadline to accept resumes is Friday, June 3, 2022. Just drop a resume to the church office or email at [email protected].
- On one last note, the counting team for May 29 is Team 4: Andrew Woodman, Tom Nash, Hilda Murray, and Randy Spurrell.
Hope you have a lovely weekend!
God Bless you all,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)