It is such a pleasure to be outside on a sunny day in autumn. I agree with the writer who says, “I love autumn, the season of the year that God seemed to have put there just for the beauty of it.” (L. Maynard)
There are lots of exciting things being planned at church for the fall. You may need to mark your calendar just so you won’t miss anything. So nice to see things returning to some sort of normalcy.
Here are some important things/events to note:
- This Sunday, October 23, there will be Family Service. Following the service, all are welcome to go to the auditorium and enjoy some refreshments - sandwiches, cookies, tea, coffee, … Hope to see you there!!
- November 7 leads the fall events with an afternoon card game. So, on Monday, November 7, at 2 p.m. head to the auditorium of the Ascension and be ready with your own cards/baskets and $6 for a fun evening. Tea and coffee will be provided!
- Another exciting event will be the Online Fall Fair Auction 2022 that will take place on Facebook from November 6 to November 12. If you search for ‘Parish of the Ascension Online Fall Fair Auction 2022’ you will be able to join the group. All the information about how you can help make this a great success is given on the sheet enclosed with your Chimes, or on the parish Facebook (which can also be viewed on the parish’s website).
- It is so nice to be able to announce that the annual Fall Dinner is going to resume. It takes place on Friday, November 18, at 6:30 p.m. Besides the dinner there will be a bake sale from 5:30 to 6:30, a gift basket on tickets, and a 50/50 draw. Tickets, which will be available after Sunday services as well as from the office, (9 to noon), are $25 per person. Deadline to purchase tickets for eat in or takeout is Thursday, November 10. (Further details are in your Chimes.)
- As for the Advent Project – St. Margaret’s Boat, I bet some of you have already started putting together some of the items needed for the Iris Kirby House. The boat will be set up on November 13 and its contents presented at the 11 a.m. service on December 11. (Please do not wrap the gifts.)
- Many are delighted that the ASCENSION CAFE IS BACK! You can enjoy tea, coffee, toast, and other treats from 9:30 until the service at 11, every two weeks. It started this past Sunday and 20 people enjoyed the camaraderie of having breakfast together once again. The Café will be open on the following dates:
- October 30
- November 13 and 27
- December 18
- Confirmation Registration will take place next Sunday, October 23 following the 11 a.m. service. Candidates must be 11 years of age by December 31, 2022. The joint confirmation program which begins with a joint service at the Parish of the Ascension on Sunday, November 20, will include the parishes of the Ascension, the Good Shepherd, St. Michael and All Angels, and St. Mary’s. More details will follow when registration is complete.
- On November 2 at 7 p.m. our All Souls’ Service will be held. If you would like to have a deceased loved one’s name read aloud at this service, please print clearly their name in the book provided at the main entrance to the church.
- Do you like moose sausages? If you would like a package, they are available. Please call Roger at 699-0031 for further information.
- If you are making plans to attend the Country Christmas Concert, please note that the ‘yellow sheet’ in the Chimes where events and times are listed, has an incorrect date, it is supposed to be December 2, 2022.
- Once again, let me remind you that there are people who appreciate it very much when you add food to our food bank box at church. Thanks so much for your support always.
- With respect to wearing masks in church, they continue to be recommended; however, they are not required. Yet, it is respectfully requested that you wear your mask while singing during the service.
- There are a few more Sidespersons needed to assist with Sunday services. Their main job is greeting everyone with a friendly good morning. If you are interested in this important ministry, or would like to know more about it, please call Kim or Lester Pike at 745-6501.
That’s it, folks! Enjoy the lovely autumn weather.
God best you all,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)