Next Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent, the fourth Sunday before Christmas Day, and the first day of the liturgical year.
Our theme for this Advent is Walking with Jesus. As we hear/read the scriptures this Advent relating to Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love, which are symbolized by the candles on the Advent Wreath, let us, in the words of Canon Lynn, ‘take this time from our busy lives to light our own candles and to reflect upon the scripture’ as we strive to walk with Jesus.
Here are the reminders of the Advent/Christmas activities and services planned for this year:
- St. Margaret’s Boat (our Advent Outreach Project) is now anchored in the side foyer. It will hold our donations for Iris Kirby House. Please ensure that your items are dropped off by December 11 as they will be presented at the 11 a.m. service on that day.
- Again, this year Christmas hampers will be given out. In preparation for the distribution of these hampers, our Christmas Hamper Tree will be set up on Sunday, November 27, holding tags naming the items needed for the hampers. Please remove a tag or two from the tree and have the items brought to church no later than Monday, December 12. Monetary donations are appreciated as well. Sometimes in past years parish families or businesses have sponsored families supplying the gifts for a full hamper. If that is your choice, please contact Nickie Butler at [email protected] for further details.
- You may like to mark your calendars for December 18, as on that date at 6:30 the Tree Lighting and Carol Sing will take place outside. You can stay in your parked car in front of the church and participate/listen as the choir sings many of our favourite carols. Don’t forget to return your pledge sheets by Wednesday, December 14.
- In the package that is ready for pickup at church, or which you have already picked up, there is an envelope in which you can make your Advent Donation as we are not using Advent folders this year. Make sure you complete the information on the envelope plus add the amount of your donation. Thank you!
- ADVENT QUIET DAY is drawing close, taking place on Saturday, November 26, from 10:30 to 1 p.m. and is being hosted by Rev’d Jolene Peters. What an excellent way to begin the Advent Season!! Please sign up on the sheet provided at the church entrance or contact the office at 368-5693. Don’t forget to bring a bag lunch to enjoy with the tea/coffee that will be provided. Hope to see you there!
- Stations of the Crib will take place on Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. on the following dates: November 30, and December 7, 14, and 21.
- Next Sunday, November 27, why not arrive early for the 11 a.m. service and enjoy tea, coffee, toast, and other goodies at the Ascension Café.
- I trust your children/grandchildren already know that Breakfast with Santa is being held on Saturday, December 10, from 9 to 10 o’clock; and to the delight of all, Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit and there will even be a sing along. To make sure no one will be disappointed, TICKETS ($6 each) MUST BE PURCHASED IN ADVANCE (free for children under four). Ticket sales begin next Sunday, November 27, after the 11 a.m. service, and then from the church office each weekday from 9 to noon until Monday, December 5.
- Please take note – a gentleman’s coat has been taken accidentally, and worn home we presume, after the Fall Dinner last Friday. Would you please check your coat to see if you mistook the person’s coat for being yours. Apparently, an empty eyeglass case is in the coat pocket. If you happen to have it, please call the church office, or deliver it to the church office soon. Thanks so much!
- For anyone in need, there is a Mount Pearl Community Supper taking place this evening, November 23, from 5 to 6 p.m. The meals are takeout only! You can pick up your meals of meatballs, rice pilaf, veggies, dinner roll, and dessert, and eat in the comfort of your own home. This meal is being sponsored by Eastern Credit Union and the host church is the Church of the Good Shepherd.
- Many Advent packages are waiting for pickup at the entrance of the church. Please pick yours up, and it would be greatly appreciated if you could take a few to deliver as well. Thanks so much for your anticipated help.
God Bless you all,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)