Next Sunday, December 11, the third Sunday of Advent, is when the third candle, the candle symbolizing JOY will be lit. The word ‘Rejoice’ is also often associated with this Sunday as well, as in the words from Philippians 4:4 ‘Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice.’ We have great reason to rejoice and be joyful knowing that Christ has come, and Christ will come again. Indeed, this Advent Season is a Season that is ushered in by the words of Jesus: “Be constantly on the watch! Stay awake! You know not when the appointed time will come.” Mark 13:33.
A few reminders for you:
- If you are donating in memory of someone or to honour a special occasion, your form indicating such is due in the office no later than December 14. The Tree Lighting and Carol Sing will be on Sunday, December 18, at 6:30 p.m. on the church parking lot. Let’s hope it’s good weather!
- Lots of reasons to mark December 18 on your calendar, because on that day also the Ascension Café will be serving tea, coffee, toast, and other goodies prior to the 11 o’clock service. Then, after the service we once again can enjoy a ‘cup of tea’ in the auditorium as we are joining Canon Lynn and Wayne to wish them both well in their retirement.
- I presume your children/grandchildren are all aware that Santa is coming to their church on Saturday, December 10. Don’t forget all must have a ticket ($6) (or anyone older than four must have one) to enjoy the Breakfast with Santa. Deadline to purchase was Monday, December 5.
- If you plan to donate to the ‘St. Margaret’s Boat’ Project, the items must be dropped off by December 11, as they will be presented at the 11 a.m. service on that day. In fact, Michelle Greene, Executive Director of Iris Kirby House, will be present to accept your donations to the Project. Thanks to all who contributed to this worthy cause.
- Also, if you took a tag or two from the Advent tree at the back of the church, the donations can be dropped off at the church office between December 5 to December 9 – the deadline is December 11. A monetary donation is also appreciated and that can be dropped at the church during office hours or via e-transfer at [email protected]
- Another Free Community Dinner is in the making!! For anyone in need, the next one is on Wednesday, December 14, from 5 to 6 p.m. The meals are takeout only and can be picked up from the Church of the Good Shepherd
- Our food bank box needs refilling!! Please remember those who struggle this time of the year and rely on the food bank for groceries to get them through the week. Special thanks to all those who contribute regularly.
- Please note that only givings received by noon on Friday, December 30, will be included on your 2022 tax receipt. Givings received after that time will be included on your 2023 tax receipt. If you so wish, you can drop your givings in the mailbox on the church’s front steps up to noon on December 30 or drop them in the office. (If you have had a change of address during the year, please make sure you notify the church office – we want to make sure your January receipt goes to your correct address.)
- Reminder: ‘Stations of the Crib’ will be today, Wednesday, December 7, at 10:30 a.m.
May you continue to walk with Jesus on your Advent Journey,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)