Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.
It has been said that ‘Lent is a Journey that leads us toward the Cross, and that Journey is not a journey to God, but a journey WITH God.’ May God indeed be with us and direct our Journey as we travel through those Lenten Days.
Some important reminders for you:
- Tonight at 7 p.m. there will be an Ash Wednesday service with the imposition of ashes. In fact, each Wednesday during the Lenten Season, there will be an evening service (BAS/Evening Prayer) at 7 p.m.
- Have you given some consideration to volunteering to read during any of those Lenten services? There is a sign-up sheet at the entrance of the church, or you can call the church office if you are interested. Thank you so much!
- Let’s all try our best to be successful with our Lenten Project! Through the Association for New Canadians, we can help those people who have come to live in Canada, especially the refugees from the terrible war in the Ukraine, by providing backpacks and school supplies for the children. A representative from the Association will visit on Palm Sunday to collect our gifts. Thanks, in anticipation of your help.
- For your Lenten Offering, if you prefer to use a Lenten card, you can pick one up at the entrance of the church.
- A reminder to those who enjoy getting together with the Parish family at the Ascension Café - it will be open with its usual treats and coffee/tea next Sunday, February 26.
- There is a plan in progress to charter the course for Christ’s church – it is the Set Sail process that has been designed by the Diocese. (More details are given in your Chimes.) One way in particular that parishioners can contribute to this process is by taking a few minutes to complete the survey on your smartphone, tablet/iPad, or computer at https://triware.typeform.com/SetSailBaseline The survey will be open until March 7, 2023.
- Would you, or someone you know, need, and appreciate a hot, free take-out meal this evening? This meal can be picked up at the entrance of the Church of the Good Shepherd this evening, February 22, between 5 and 6 p.m.
- Please continue to help those who find it difficult to make ends meet! Just pick up a grocery item or two and place in our food bank box at the church entrance. Thanks again.
God bless you all on your Lenten Journey,
Jean (On behalf of the Ascension)